Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is it safe to update to dharma from the previous release without installing the whole Ubuntu system?
Sorry for the spam here guys. But I figured out my seg fault issue. Turned out to be a faulty fstab entry.

link
Lots of great ideas here, I get so many new ideas to improve my xbmc setup every time I read though this forum, I just recently gave some attention to xbmc on my blog, feel free to drop by tell me what you think or ad a comment. I didn't really cover the live xbmc, it would be great if someone here could share on my blog about it....

Kevin Poynter

Kevin's World of Technology Adventures
As unofficial nightlies are starting over again at sshcs.com, we will be able to start updating again?

K
oldpainless Wrote:As unofficial nightlies are starting over again at sshcs.com, we will be able to start updating again?

K

Why dont you compile? way easier and no need to go unofficial and unsupported.
X3lectric Wrote:Why dont you compile? way easier and no need to go unofficial and unsupported.

Good point - is it a steep learning curve?

K
no depending on what OS your using... If it Linux look at my signature and for god sake backup your hdd before doing anything just in case.
X3lectric Wrote:no depending on what OS your using... If it Linux look at my signature and for god sake backup your hdd before doing anything just in case.

Ok thanks - that looks pretty straight forward.

K

PS - forgot to ask - this is updating so it will keep all userdata?

Cheers
yes you keep everythng, but read the how to and do what it suggests, including making a hdd image.

I covered everything on the how-to including n00b, pebkac error or any unforeseen circumstances

so backup hdd via imaging program as how to recommends. Just n case, but everything should go ok, though I really insist on users making habit of creating hdd images to restore in case of.

The only thing that how-to doesn't cover is holding hands, over a romantic walk on the beach Wink
Since it was mentioned in the What's Going on? post. Does any one know when the PPAs will start updating with nightly builds from git? or how to tell when that has started?

And before X3lectric jumps in and tells me to compile my own from source I'm not interested in investing the time either setting that up; or the down time that would result from having to recompile very time I wanted to move to a newer version, especially since I'm running xbmc on an intel atom.
Herak Wrote:Since it was mentioned in the What's Going on? post. Does any one know when the PPAs will start updating with nightly builds from git? or how to tell when that has started?

And before X3lectric jumps in and tells me to compile my own from source I'm not interested in investing the time either setting that up; or the down time that would result from having to recompile very time I wanted to move to a newer version, especially since I'm running xbmc on an intel atom.

+1
@ Herak dont flatter yourself

you guys do whatever you want, but please post accurate information, not occum. I'm on intel atom as well your point? no point....

1) there is no downtime, you can be compiling and using xbmc at same time on next reboot your new compiled xbmc is ready to use or stop/start xbmc-live service FACT.

As to keep this ontopic Team XBMC is working on that PPA releases, I could compile and release official code on my PPAS however I wont do t cause of people with your attitude.

@ rossonerry Rolleyes

-1 to myself (for bothering to help users) and +1 for everyone else.
X3lectric Wrote:@ Herak dont flatter yourself

How, exactly, am I flattering myself? I asked a question and pre-empted your likely response, going by your recent posts.

also "occum" what does that even mean?

I know Team XBMC are working on reinstating the nightly PPA releases. I was asking if anyone knew when they would resume and if there was an easy way to know when they resumed.

Also what attitude? I don't wish to compile simple as that. I'd just rather be using a PPA, if something breaks and i need support i don't want the nagging feeling i screwed up the build. If it breaks then at least it's less likely to be my fault and i can simply wait for the bug to be fixed. I'm not doing anything unusual with xbmc and when i used to run nightly builds i had next to no problems.
Last edited by wattazoum; 2009-12-11 at 20:10. Reason: remove the long list of PPAs, Just one official is enough

Not very useful having a sticky that hasn't been updated
for ages and is outdated long time ago. I suggest either
removing this or updating org post. Smile
@ herak see pm for offtopic content.

@ The_Boxhead I think a lot need updating even readmes still behind using svn compile instructions, never mind ppa stuff which many posts after main contain updated information just no one who can does anything about it, perhaps they unwilling, perhaps lack of time, perhaps lack of moderators, perhaps lack of all of the above.