Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
only nightly build for natty being built cause they fucked up the dependencies again, the missing libbluray (dependency wait)

Look sto me Team xbmc has little interest in PPAs so best go use a 3rd party.
X3lectric Wrote:only nightly build for natty being built cause they fucked up the dependencies again, the missing libbluray (dependency wait)

Look sto me Team xbmc has little interest in PPAs so best go use a 3rd party.

Actually, I removed the app and source and did a full reinstall and it's back to normal. Maybe I won't update it for a bit. I'll google around for what 3rd party ones are available to use. Is there one in particular that you would recommend?
Perhaps a silly question, but can the xbmc live version be updated by the mario sitz ppa?

Getting tired of my minimal ubuntu setup and openelec isn't mature enough for me yet.

Live has always worked, but would like to update to svn in order to get some skins (refocus) working
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:went ahead and made the switch to the unstable ppa, the install went fine. I was under the impression that the unstable build had crystalhd support, but I am not seeing it, did I miss or overlook something.

It should have it if you have the libs installed, but since then fixes have been introduced in git. check if your relevant libs installed.

nogi Wrote:Actually, I removed the app and source and did a full reinstall and it's back to normal. Maybe I won't update it for a bit. I'll google around for what 3rd party ones are available to use. Is there one in particular that you would recommend?

ATM sitz ppa
Eoghlear Wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but can the xbmc live version be updated by the mario sitz ppa?

Getting tired of my minimal ubuntu setup and openelec isn't mature enough for me yet.

Live has always worked, but would like to update to svn in order to get some skins (refocus) working

yes

The [roblem is technical ceros the debian packager guy is prolly too busy and team xbmc are not copying the required deps from other ppas even though packaging is spot on.
X3lectric Wrote:yes

The [roblem is technical ceros the debian packager guy is prolly too busy and team xbmc are not copying the required deps from other ppas even though packaging is spot on.

So all we need to do is ask them nicely if they could copy the right deps and it should be able to let ceros build a new live version?

Our could we do any of this our selves?
I just compile my own now, thanks to x3lectrics guide
X3lectric Wrote:Welcome to the forums... Oo
On another note if you dont mind me asking, Where do you stand with respect of people googling or be bothered to read threads or even search the forums? :confused2:

Trouble is - by searching on the web you can find 1001 ways of installing XBMC on Ubuntu. And almost all of them are obsolete. Even the 'official' HowTo fails on Natty:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

So where should one ask for help if not here?
there is no stable ppa for Natty, however the unstable is usable and in my opnion pretty damn stable for the most part.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
atm most of unstable is not building but for natty seems to be ok

this shoudl be whats necessary for install/upgrade
Code:
sudo apt-get update
to upgrade

Code:
sudo apt-get update
cleanz it up
whity Wrote:Trouble is - by searching on the web you can find 1001 ways of installing XBMC on Ubuntu. And almost all of them are obsolete. Even the 'official' HowTo fails on Natty:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

So where should one ask for help if not here?

Maybe IRC maybe trial and erro maybe a mix of old and new hell this is to do with ppas not how to install xbmc per say, so definitely the wrong thread for starters.

If you want a definitive how to thers options on forums.

hers a bone

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=in...8&oe=utf-8

thers videos and everything.
X3lectric Wrote:Welcome to the forums... Oo

It already exists, its called xbmc unstable ppa Shocked

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable

you add it like

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository [b]ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc[/b]

On another note if you dont mind me asking, Where do you stand with respect of people googling or be bothered to read threads or even search the forums? :confused2:

Hope that answers your question.

cheers.

Hi there (and hi to everyone else that replied).

I guess that I assumed (yes, I'm well aware of the dangers) that since Natty was out for at least 3 months, there would be a stable version. Typically when I read "unstable" I think beta or alpha, and avoid it for the stable versions (unless of course I'm in an official beta for the application). As for Google and forum search, I'm finding that isn't always the easiest/best method for finding the information. Here's an example:

I compiled XBMC from source (using the XBMC wiki which I googled). Now, I have to remove it, so I can install either the maverick version (stable) or the unstable version. When I google it (uninstalling xbmc when compiled by source/uninstalling xbmc/removing xbmc/etc) I don't find anything useful at all. In fact, the XBMC wiki entry for "Installing/Running/Uninstalling XBMC" only discusses "Installing".

I realize it's probably something simple like "sudo rm -rf xbmc" but before I try that, I want to make sure. After all, I'd hate to bork my entire system over a fluke. (And I realize this isn't the proper thread for this issue, I'm using it to make a point that sometimes the best way to get the answer is just to ask).

Have a great day, and thanks everyone for the answers.Smile
Patrick.
Event server not working for me at all on the two latest builds..
PatrickDickey Wrote:Hi there (and hi to everyone else that replied).

I guess that I assumed (yes, I'm well aware of the dangers) that since Natty was out for at least 3 months, there would be a stable version. Typically when I read "unstable" I think beta or alpha, and avoid it for the stable versions (unless of course I'm in an official beta for the application). As for Google and forum search, I'm finding that isn't always the easiest/best method for finding the information. Here's an example:

I compiled XBMC from source (using the XBMC wiki which I googled). Now, I have to remove it, so I can install either the maverick version (stable) or the unstable version. When I google it (uninstalling xbmc when compiled by source/uninstalling xbmc/removing xbmc/etc) I don't find anything useful at all. In fact, the XBMC wiki entry for "Installing/Running/Uninstalling XBMC" only discusses "Installing".

I realize it's probably something simple like "sudo rm -rf xbmc" but before I try that, I want to make sure. After all, I'd hate to bork my entire system over a fluke. (And I realize this isn't the proper thread for this issue, I'm using it to make a point that sometimes the best way to get the answer is just to ask).

Have a great day, and thanks everyone for the answers.Smile
Patrick.

you compile if you no longer wnat a compiled version just reeistall the unstable or the revision you want. ( the packages that get compiled just get overritten. simple or vice versa.

the best answer is alwys to gooogle problem is no one can be botherd looking past first page. aptitude had a nifty way of installing a specific version of packages but aptitude has been removed from natty htough it can still be installed. point being I bet ap-get can do someting similar. no point going around deleting your systems files pertinet to xbmc when you will prolly just bugger it up more

u googled how to compile xbmc from git yet I have it on my signature on both forums and my personal blog.
X3lectric Wrote:atm most of unstable is not building but for natty seems to be ok

this shoudl be whats necessary for install/upgrade
Code:
sudo apt-get update
to upgrade

Code:
sudo apt-get update
cleanz it up

did this code, but xbmc not auto starting/log in.
how do i fix this?

also getting an error during ubuntu 10.4 boot.
(i will chase that down after fixing xbmc auto start)
this should be stickied

Try This