Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO get Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control working using EventGhost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Hi all,

I have got the PS3 bluetooth remote working with XBMC for Windows and I have uploaded the necessary file here.

I have got this working in Vista but would assume it will work in XP.

Guide (Bits copied from Thierry's post in the EventGhost forums)

1. Install EventGhost http://www.eventghost.org/wiki/EventGhost:About

2. Pair bluetooth remote and dongle. Initiate remote for pairing by holding down Start and Enter on the remote for 5 seconds. Pair from Windows with no code.

3. Check in "Device Manager" / "Human Interface Devices"
PS3 Remote should appears as "HID-compliant game controller"
If not, if it's appears as "HID Keyboard Device" in "Keyboards"
Delete it, Right click on bluetooth icon in task bar and
stop/start bluetooth device to force new device detection.
This time should appears as "HID-compliant game controller".

4. In EventGhost open my configuration file. Click Execute Item (Green Arrow).

5. Run XBMC for Windows and try out.

EventGhost can be set to start up with Windows and can sit in the background.

Hope it all works and modify for your own needs.

Credits:- Thierry & EventGhost

Cheers
rickler
If anyone tries this when you download my file you need to add the extension .xml

Filejumbo decoded to knock the end of the file name off!Sad
hello there. thanks for the ideas. I got myself a PS3 remote, installed Event Ghost and used your XML file as inspiration.

ALL IS GOOD. works like a charm Big Grin

Anyway, I have one question for you:

How did you address the inability to control volumes levels when using digital audio output ? ... or perhaps you're sticking with Analog ... or using a separate remote controller to control the volume on your audio receiver (like I am at the moment)

cheers
I use a digital connection to my audio receiver which I use the volume control on.
OK. so same as me, you cannot control the volume with your PS3 bluetooth remote. correct ?
Correct

I think i programmed R1 for volume up and R2 for volume down but i dont know if they work on digital out as have never tried because i use an amp
rickler Wrote:I think i programmed R1 for volume up and R2 for volume down

yeah, me too. L1 UP | L2 DOWN | L3 MUTE. But these only work when the audio output is set to Analog. I am looking into other solutions. Even ghost allows to control the Volume on a Windows level too, so I am going to give it a try

Another thing ... how about continuous scrolling ? For example, when I am browsing videos (or pictures) and hold the UP or DOWN arrows, it doesn't scroll. So I have to keep pressing UP or DOWN (too many times sometimes). Did you find a solution for that ? Usually with the remotes (or keyboards) when you hold a certain key, Windows (or any device) keeps repeating the operation.
great work!!!!!
just wondering if you could tell me how to set xbmc to run when i press the ps button on the remote, thanks
BreEil Wrote:just wondering if you could tell me how to set xbmc to run when i press the ps button on the remote, thanks

if you have an Nvidia video card (like I do) you can setup a hotkey to run any application (CTRL+F11 for xbmc.exe in my case). Then in EvenGhost, you setup an event for any of the PS3 remote's button to "emulate pressing of CTRL+F11. This is what I do. Let me know if you need more information.

If you have an ATI, I can only imagine that there would be something similar there as well (but since I don't have one ... can't confirm)
thanks for the reply mate, added a hotkey to nview but I am new to eventghost, would
appreciate if you could tell me how to add it to that. I have only used hipsend utility in the past lol. really appreciate this mate, save me using my trust wireless keyboard & mouse thingy. never use my ps3 anyway lol.
was unable to edit my post, lol.
just noticed that the hotkey make xbmc run in windowed mode, any ideas?
BreEil Wrote:just noticed that the hotkey make xbmc run in windowed mode, any ideas?

this is what I have as the "application to run":

C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe -fs
BreEil Wrote:I am new to eventghost, would appreciate if you could tell me how to add it to that.

I assume you have the Even Ghost working ... so I just copy/paste one of the events you already have and change it to fit your need.

change the "Emulate Keystrokes" part to what your hotkey is and change the "yellow lightning" event to the correct value of the actual key what you want to use. When you press the button on the remote, the left side of Even Ghost shows you the correct value to use for the event.

The PS3 button is called Zarbi so the event would be called HID.Zarbi. This is only true if the BD Remote Control plugin is set to "Use PS3 remote key as even name" .. otherwise is long numbers

I'd love to post a screenshot of what I have, but I don't think I can do it in this forum.
Post the Screenshot using imageshack.us , or image-load.eu . Smile

I have some questions though.

How long do the PS3 remote batteries last, once they are paired with the Vista-PC, and how about reconnecting the remote? Do you have to reinstall it manually (uninstall it as a Vista Bluetooth device, than install it again) every time you wan't to use the remote again, as you have to with the Wii remote unless you use GlovePie and a specific Bluetooth driver stack?
worked great, thanks very much!!!!!!!!
now all I have to do is figure out how to match the ps button with that command in eventghost an I'm all set. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17