Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [MAC] Non-admin install / non-mpkg install / network install?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with installing xbmc to test it out on the mac (been using it for years on xbox). For reference the OS is OS X 10.4.11. I would like to install into my own Applications directory (i.e. ~/Applications) rather than the system directory as on this particular machine I don't have admin rights, but the installer doesn't allow any choice on this matter. I was wondering - would it be possible to provide a .dmg file that will decompress to give a simple xbmc.app file/directory I could simply drag to my ~/Applications?

Another quick related question - is there any reason xbmc wouldn't run off of a network drive (my user directory is an AFP mount)?

Any help much appreciated and thanks for putting in what obviously must be a lot of hard work.

Cheers
I'm afraid that installing to an OSX box without admin rights is not going to work.

XBMC for Mac requires admin permission for installation of components into "/Library/Application Support/XBMC/". This might change in the future and we will take the requirement of admin permission under consideration.

You might be able to use Pacifist to extract the packages then edit XBMC.app/Contents/info.plist and change the location of XBMC_HOME.
@rogerdodd, please submit a new feature request ticket on trac for tracking purposes http://trac.xbmc.org

Nod
@davilla: thanks for the info, I'll have a look into it

@Gamester17 - I'll get on and submit something to trac

Thanks very much, sorry for delay in replying
I had a go using Pacifist as suggested and I was able to extract the "XBMC Media Center.app" to ~/Applications and all the other pkg files to ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC. Editing the XBMC.app/Contents/info.plist file to point XBMC_HOME to ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC worked: I now have XBMC Media Center installed and running - and all on directories that are network mounts!

Thanks very much for everything
Please submit a trac ticket anyway, and post your workaround in it Wink