Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] HOW-TO get the original Xbox DVD Remote Kit and Dongle to work with XBMC Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
UPDATED 19-1-2010

To get the xbox dongle and remote working on your computer under XBMC LIve you first need to get a xbox to usb adapter or make it yourself .

Why you ask? money is my answer Mce remote are about $50-$60AU but xbox Remotes are $20-$30AU. Its all about the money

I did this thru windows

Steps needed to get it all to work after you’ve connected it to the computer.

1. Download Putty (freeware)
2. Get root access
3. Setup files

STEP 1

Download Putty (freeware)
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe

STEP 2

1- Open Putty (freeware)
2- type in the field "Hostname (or IP adress)" the IP of your xbmc then press open
3- it will ask you for name type: xbmc
4- then the actual password type: xbmc
then press enter (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in
6- Now type: sudo passwd root
7- Follow the instructions

Enter old password then new one

Your all done

STEP 3

First off some vim commands to understand what your doing

w Write (Save)
q Quit (Close)
wq Write and Quit. (Save and Close)
q! Force Quit (Close without saving changes)

To get started

1- Open Putty (freeware)
2- type in the field "Hostname (or IP adress)" the IP of your xbmc then press open
3- it will ask you for name type: root
4- then the NEW password (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in

type: sudo vim /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
press i

copy and paste ( if there is anything in the file delete everything then paste):
__________________________________________________ ________

#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="None"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_atiusb lirc_dev"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS="-r"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF="lircd.conf"

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="true"
START_LIRCMD=""

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

now typeConfusedudo vim /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
press i

copy and paste ( if there is anything in the file delete everything then paste):

# brand: Microsoft Xbox DVD Receiever (also works with generic)
# remote control: Xbox remote or any remote using RCA DVD player codes

begin remote

name XboxDVDDongle
bits 8
eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
gap 163983
toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
LEFT 0xA9
UP 0xA6
RIGHT 0xA8
DOWN 0xA7
SELECT 0x0B
1 0xCE
2 0xCD
3 0xCC
4 0xCB
5 0xCA
6 0xC9
7 0xC8
8 0xC7
9 0xC6
0 0xCF
MENU 0xF7
DISPLAY 0xD5
REVERSE 0xE2
FORWARD 0xE3
PLAY 0xEA
PAUSE 0xE6
STOP 0xE0
SKIP- 0xDD
SKIP+ 0xDF
TITLE 0xE5
INFO 0xC3
BACK 0xD8
end codes

end remote

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

Now you need to remove Xpad

type: sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

(NOTE do not delete anything in this file just add)

press i then press down arrow until you reach the end of the writing.

now type:blacklist xpad

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

Close down Putty restard you xbmc system

All done should work
this does not work for me using beta1, or beta2.

i have previously had IR functionality working, however, after trying to get setup again in Beta2, i found i could not make and save changes to the conifguration files in /etc/lirc/ and /etc/modprobe/blacklist.

i made applicable changes to all necessary files, and after i reboot, the old files are back in their place. im assuming this has something to do with the way xbmc is loaded from an image, but this still puzzles me.

when i had beta1 installed and was configuring, it let me modify and save these files, and reboot with new changes. i was able to blacklist xpad manually before, and upload my proper hardware.conf and lircd.conf.

i attempted to go back to beta1, but now it appears to be doing what beta2 was... not letting the changes stay applied after i reboot. after mounting the thumbstick i was able to get beta2 to apply my lircd.conf and hardware.conf by adding it to the config directory. im not sure how that works, but it does not work for changing the blacklist file.

please help *confused*!
phire Wrote:this does not work for me using beta1, or beta2.

i have previously had IR functionality working, however, after trying to get setup again in Beta2, i found i could not make and save changes to the conifguration files in /etc/lirc/ and /etc/modprobe/blacklist.

i made applicable changes to all necessary files, and after i reboot, the old files are back in their place. im assuming this has something to do with the way xbmc is loaded from an image, but this still puzzles me.

when i had beta1 installed and was configuring, it let me modify and save these files, and reboot with new changes. i was able to blacklist xpad manually before, and upload my proper hardware.conf and lircd.conf.

i attempted to go back to beta1, but now it appears to be doing what beta2 was... not letting the changes stay applied after i reboot. after mounting the thumbstick i was able to get beta2 to apply my lircd.conf and hardware.conf by adding it to the config directory. im not sure how that works, but it does not work for changing the blacklist file.

please help *confused*!

I think you are having problems because of a "no free space problem" in Beta2.
Please see my post here :
[HTML]http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38660&page=4[/HTML]
phire Wrote:this does not work for me using beta1, or beta2.

please help *confused*!

sorry my English is bad
I had the same problem the solution was for me to unplug my
infrared port already present in my box (imon) Big Grin
i think you were right about the no free space problem, i didnt use the fix provided in your link, however after a fresh reinstall of beta1 (beta2 fresh install hung at last progress bar on my K48), it now lets me save my settings and confs.

guhhhhh i was fighting with this for a few hours, going back and forth reading and trying different things.

thanks for your help guys
deezee69 Wrote:press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

type: sudo vim /etc/modrobe.d/blacklist

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

All done should workLaugh

when i do this, i get an errorr "e212 cannot open file for writing.

/

cheers
doing me head in now lol, anyone help
deezee69 Wrote:To get the xbox dongle and remote working on your computer under XBMC LIve you first need to get a xbox to usb adapter or make it yourself .

Why you ask?Oo money is my answerNod Mce remote are about $50-$60AU but xbox Remotes are $20-$30AU. Its all about the money

I did this thru windows

Steps needed to get it all to work after you’ve connected it to the computer.

1. Download Putty (freeware)
2. Get root access
3. Setup files

STEP 1

Download Putty (freeware)
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/late.../putty.exe

STEP 2

1- Open Putty (freeware)
3- it will ask you for name type: xbmc
4- then the actual password type: xbmc
then press enter (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in
6- Now type: sudo passwd root
7- Follow the instructions

Enter old password then new one

Your all done

STEP 3

First off some vim commands to understand what your doing

w Write (Save)
q Quit (Close)
wq Write and Quit. (Save and Close)
q! Force Quit (Close without saving changes)

To get started

1- Open Putty (freeware)
3- it will ask you for name type: root
4- then the NEW password (note it will seem like your not typing but you are)
5- you are loged in

type: sudo vim /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
press i

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER=""
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
# automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES="lirc_atiusb lirc_dev lirc_i2c"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
LIRCMD_CONF=""
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

now typeConfusedudo vim /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
press i

#
# LIRCD configuration file for Xbox DVD Kit
#
# Marko Friedemann <mfr|bmx-chemnitz.de>
#
#
# brand: Microsoft
# model: Xbox DVD Remote
# supported devices: Xbox DVD Remote via xpad-ir driver
#
# comment: EXPERIMENTAL
#

begin remote

name XboxDVDDongle
bits 8

begin codes

SELECT 0x0b
UP 0xa6
DOWN 0xa7
RIGHT 0xa8
LEFT 0xa9
INFO 0xc3

9 0xc6
8 0xc7
7 0xc8
6 0xc9
5 0xca
4 0xcb
3 0xcc
2 0xcd
1 0xce
0 0xcf

DISPLAY 0xd5
BACK 0xd8
SKIP- 0xdd
SKIP+ 0xdf
STOP 0xe0
REVERSE 0xe2
FORWARD 0xe3
TITLE 0xe5
PAUSE 0xe6
PLAY 0xea
MENU 0xf7

end codes

end remote

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

type: sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

press esc
hold shift and :
type wq and press enter

All done should workLaugh

ok after quite a while nd a few headaches, managed to sort it.

yours is a good guide, but a couple of spelling mistakes in the original posting, at least , some wrong directories gave me loads of probs, especially me being a linux novice, BUT IVE EDITED THE QUOTE ABOVE WITH THE PROPER SPELLINGS / DIRECTORIES THAT WORKED FOR MY SYSTEM AND EVERYTHING IS SPOT ON NOW.

the above edited quote has worked perfect for me, Many thanks for the innitial guide Big Grin
thecheekymonkey Wrote:ok after quite a while nd a few headaches, managed to sort it.

yours is a good guide, but a couple of spelling mistakes, and for me at least , some wrong directories gave me loads of probs, specially me being a linux novice, but ive edited the above quote with the proper spellings that worked for me.

the above edited quote has worked perfect for me, thank you for the innitial guide Big Grin

After upgrading my old system to a new acer revo and using the latest live (installed to the hdd) ive just plugged in my usb adapterfied xbox 1 remote, followed my quote (as above with spellings corrected) and it just works, spot on !!!

Where can I buy a xbox to usb adapter?

Br, Daniel
dannybullit Wrote:Where can I buy a xbox to usb adapter?

Br, Daniel

I purchased an adapter on ebay. Tried this with 9.04.1 Live installed to a usb flash drive and it did not work. I know the adapter is working because in Windows 7 I installed a driver and it recognised a controller. I double checked all the edits and they are there Live boots into xbmc, keyboard works but not the remote. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
This guide did in fact work out perfectly for me however, I have a situation. I would like to use my Logitech Harmony 520 Remote to give me options for more buttons to map and I need to find the <obc> codes for those buttons. Now with my Harmony programmed with the Original XBOX codes, it works fine just as the default buttons do on the original remote. But, there are extra buttons that came with the layout on the Harmony that I would like use and maybe even more. When I use the "irw" command to capture what they are only the "Original" Xbox buttons are recognized and nothing more.

Do I need to modify the hardware.conf or lircd.conf file to allow/recognize generic button presses?

Although I'm delighted that the "Original" Xbox remote functions are working, I'm kind of disappointed because I wanted to use my universal remote for shortcuts, customizations, etc....Without having to modify the default functions.

If anyone has a tip, please help

Thanks.
thecheekymonkey Wrote:ok after quite a while nd a few headaches, managed to sort it.

yours is a good guide, but a couple of spelling mistakes in the original posting, at least , some wrong directories gave me loads of probs, especially me being a linux novice, BUT IVE EDITED THE QUOTE ABOVE WITH THE PROPER SPELLINGS / DIRECTORIES THAT WORKED FOR MY SYSTEM AND EVERYTHING IS SPOT ON NOW.

the above edited quote has worked perfect for me, Many thanks for the innitial guide Big Grin

Please could a mod update the op with post number 7 (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=256...tcount=7)?

The original post is incorrect and obviously the danger is that dumbasses like myself will not find the later corrections until many hours have been spent trying to figure out what went wrong...

thanks
has anyone got the xbox controller working in Camelot Alpha 2? the normal files that worked before aren't working now. I can't ssh into my box right now, but lircd is failing on start -- I haven't had the time to enable logging or anything yet though.
Yes, mine works fine. But you might not be alone : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61805
Quote:type: sudo vim \config\etc\lirc\hardware.conf
press i

root@XBMCLive:~# sudo vim /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
sudo: vim: command not found

whats wrong ...its sayes vim: command not found i am using xbmc-live-9.11-b1
Pages: 1 2 3 4