Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB asks for username and password
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I use XBMC on my Xbox and laptop.

I play movies and music from my PC via my network.

I added my pc at xbmc and can explore my directory's.

On mine xbox everything goes right. I can play movies and music.

But if i open a directory on my laptop via xbmc, xbmc asked for a smb username and password.

My laptop uses windows vista.

Do i need the do something with my settings on my xbmc on my laptop?

Thanks in advance for helping, and sorry for my rubbish english.
Crazyc, welcome to the forum. I'm not exactly sure how SMB works since I don't use it, but from what I can decipher from your post, you have 1 pc that streams music and video, one modded xbox, and one laptop w/ vista that has xbmc installed, and is asking for a username password when trying to stream the video from your pc. If that is the case the issue, and again I'm going out on a limb here cause I don't use SMB, a networking one, and you need to make the modifications outside XBMC.

If you make the changes on Vista, then xbmc shouldn't ask you for a username and password. But then again I could be completely wrong, but it's worth a shot.
Are you opening a directory over the network or locally?

On the laptop it might just be you need to set up folder sharing properly this does involve a username and password. If you right click the folder you want to share you get a tab which allows you to share the folder over the network. If unsure use the vista help. You then need to navigate to this folder via xbmc - again I think the help should give you an example of the path but it will be along the lines of \\you_computer\shared_folder_name

Hope this helps
vista has some weird sharing issues mate so check on that, esp under the network control center. make sure media and file sharing are both enabled. not sure where but i think gamester made a comment about smb:// shares being wonky in atlantis because they are using xbox controls and he recommended mounting the shares as drives in windows. and then mapping xbmc to THAT. sorry i cant offer more help, read about 2000 posts in the last 2 days due to new htpc build...
gnomie Wrote:vista has some weird sharing issues mate so check on that, esp under the network control center. make sure media and file sharing are both enabled. not sure where but i think gamester made a comment about smb:// shares being wonky in atlantis because they are using xbox controls and he recommended mounting the shares as drives in windows. and then mapping xbmc to THAT. sorry i cant offer more help, read about 2000 posts in the last 2 days due to new htpc build...

The thing to remember is by default windows uses your current username and password you logged into the PC with as the SMB password/username. So under normal circumstances if you have two computers with the same user and password then you don't get prompted. This is the easy solution to windows networking, just ensure that you have the same account credintals for every machine..... not real secure but it works.

On the target volume you can also set up ACL's (access control lists) under properties->sharing (vista is slightly different from memory) and add user access there without creating an account.

DO NOT use an account without a password or the Guest account, your just asking for trouble.

BRETT
internally without passwords on your machines you get into the smb shares no problem, i have seen in vista that without a password you need to turn on sharing first for that to be the case, just fyi.
had same problem after googling had to enable simple file sharing and have a guest account and 1 other thing but can't remember off the top of my head. Try those 2 things and see if it helps
I had this if I added a source in XBMC

If you add them to the sources.xml as per the manual it wont ask everytime.

there is another way to do it in the interface but I cant exactly remember how I think you have to put the username and password in the path eg:

smb://username: password@computername/share

that is probably not the exact syntax but it is similar
seems to me that xbmc for windows disregards the smb client section of the network settings?

ive had my xbox setup to use sources for ages by setting the smb client username and password for browsing and media sources, however in xbmc for windows, it seems to just pass through the logged in user profile for the windows machine, and not the settings input into the smb client tabs.

should i make a track ticket you think? anyone?

regards,
Dam0
I also had this problem a while back, Vista's security settings are a pain. IIRC I solved it by-
1) In "Control Panel->User Accounts->Manage another account", enable the Guest account
2) In your share's security and advanced sharing properties, give the "Everyone" user group explicit access. (needs to have filesystem and sharing access)
3) In "Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center", disable "Password Protected Sharing". This is the main problem, if this isn't enabled then only accounts with passwords can access shares on your machine.

You should now be able to connect using no user name or password, if it asks for a login then try Guest without a password, if it still doesn't work then set up a new user with a blank password and try again.
I encountered a bug (no solution yet from M$) when accessing Vista shares via the WNetAddConnection2. Even the right user/password combi fails sometimes whereas connecting via the commandline works fine.
XBMC tries first to connect via the user mentioned in the smb client setting and if this fails prompts with a dialog.
I assume that if you connect to that drive outside of XMBC using a normal mapped drive approach things connect seamlessly? If they do then you could try using a username/password combination that is the same as the one on the remote machine.
i had thought of using same credentials on htpc, but then id prolly need to give the pc password every time i need to boot up.

i guess i could use power tools to auto login for me

Dam0

oh BTW im using xp, so simple file sharing would solve the problem, but isnt the smb client details provided in settings meant to work?
Thinking about it you could also map a drive as part of your laptop windows profile and then use that (which is what I do, though I use a domain so its a bit easier to manage I guess)

Yeah I guess its supposed to work "natively" but not really sure I can help you much there Smile I can't get XBMC to work reliably at the moment myself Smile

One thing I forgot to mention - you could turn on auditing (gpedit.msc if logon success/failures are not audited now) and see if you are getting failures in the security log on your htpc. The audit log might give some information.
Dam0 Wrote:oh BTW im using xp, so simple file sharing would solve the problem, but isnt the smb client details provided in settings meant to work?

They work at least during my tests with Samba and local XP shares.
Don't expect it to be working magically on all setup and even don't expect it to be magically going away if not helping us with detailed description and a full debug log.
Pages: 1 2