Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
johnny2 Wrote:So you can't use srt subtitles with VDPAU? Is this a problem with VDPAU or is this a problem with the current state of VDPAU support in XBMC?
.srt subtitles are working fine here..
pilluli Wrote:Yep, they work, I've been using something similar myself.

btw, motd2k, you're my new hero! Big Grin

from what I know, you need to use "--enable-vdpau" flag to enable vdpau
dbldown768 Wrote:from what I know, you need to use "--enable-vdpau" flag to enable vdpau

not really, it is enabled by default, all you need to do is enable it in the UI after you run XBMC Video->Players->Render...
I did not change anything in the setup and it appears I am using the vdpau render as I saw it show up on the onscreen display. Is this because i used the flag during configuration?
dbldown768 Wrote:I did not change anything in the setup and it appears I am using the vdpau render as I saw it show up on the onscreen display. Is this because i used the flag during configuration?

actually, even without settings VDPAU in the GUI and leaving it to AUTO, it will still be picked up. vdpau, when it can be used, has a higher priority over the other methods.
Awesome news!

Am I correct in thinking that the cost of entry for a 1080p Linux XBMC box is now below $200?! Will this work? If so, in addition to being cheap, it will be quiet and low power too!

Rosewill R379 $40

MSI K9N2GM-FIH $60

Patriot 2GB $20

Athlon 4850e $60

Total: $180

Assuming running from a USB stick.

??

xnappo
danillll,

If you want your settings to stick for each movie, hit the last option: "Set as default for all videos", or something to that effect.

TS
Never mind, looks like it doesn't save.
Again, nice piece of work motd2k, Wink

However, brightness and contrast doesn't seem to do anything...

Does anybody know how to activate the standard brightness and contrast settings? The VPDAU ones work fine for me (although cannot be save as other posts mention). However, as I'm hit by the not 16-235 range of XBMC (trac bug I need to change the contrast and brightness from within xbmc.

regards!
pilluli Wrote:Again, nice piece of work motd2k, Wink

However, brightness and contrast doesn't seem to do anything...

Does anybody know how to activate the standard brightness and contrast settings? The VPDAU ones work fine for me (although cannot be save as other posts mention). However, as I'm hit by the not 16-235 range of XBMC (trac bug I need to change the contrast and brightness from within xbmc.

regards!

VPDAU uses a different render class which does not implement brightness and contrast. you need to fallback to the old renders in order to enable brightness/contrast but this defeat the purpose cause you won't be using VPDAU.

As I mentioned in couple of posts earlier, once I get back from work Smile gonna try work on the save settings and maybe add the luma/chroma filters to get the brightness and contrast back.
motd2k Wrote:Ability to change the renderer dynamically within XBMC

Is it possible to fallback to GLSL from VDPAU on demand? or is the dynamic switcher for falling back to to GLSL from VDPAU when a unsupported format is played.. And how do we use it?
The_Rebel Wrote:Is it possible to fallback to GLSL from VDPAU on demand? or is the dynamic switcher for falling back to to GLSL from VDPAU when a unsupported format is played..

Sort of related to this, I have built the code and installed 180.29 in prep for my 9500GT arriving in the next few days. I tried the code just to look around and to check it was falling back when an unsupported card is used.

In my case (onboard 7100) the card clearly does not support VDPAU so should fall back to GLSL. It doesn't and segfaults when I try and play any movie. If I manually set the render method to GLSL it works as normal. The auto mode however is trying to use VDPAU and failing causing the segfault.

The relevant error from the log is
PHP Code:
22:19:24 T:2962258832 M68165632   ERROR:  (VDPAUError 1 at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:212 

Can post the whole log if necessary but seems obvious that this is trying to use VDPAU when it is not available.

This may be known issue while it is being developed but clearly would need to be fixed before it goes near main svn.

Great work by the way and I am really looking forward to my card arriving so that I can check it out.
stuartmarsden Wrote:This may be known issue while it is being developed but clearly would need to be fixed before it goes near main svn.

I tried something similar on a non vdpau setup. When the renderer is set to auto, vdpau is automatically selected. When going to svn, it just needs to be set to the old values again (or xbmc would have to detect automatically what capabilities the card has)

Currently, when xbmc is compiled with vdpau support, it doesn't even start if the vdpau libraries are missing. So to create common binaries (maybe 9.04), you would have a dependency on the vpdau libraries. I don't know if there will be separate binaries for vdpau xbmc?
Sorry for this to sound a little off topic but it does have to do with the thread topic. I just had curiosity catch me so it would be interesting to get some developer feedback on these questions.

My questions are simple:

1. Why was this project forked from the main Linux trunk, why not just develop it inside the main Linux trunk?

2. What is the likelihood of these optimizations for hardware decoding found in this branch of XBMC being taken back upstream and integrated into the main Linux trunk once the code is stabilized?

Slice

P.S. Great work on getting the code working so well in such a short period of time!
1) So it wouldn't destabilize the linuxport branch too much.
2) Very likely.