Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
adrian Wrote:Check the command line you use to start xbmc if it has the -p option you have to remove it now. The -p now means "portable mode" whatever that means. It was bombing for me too after updating until I removed it.

I am using the XBMCLive scripts (I prefer how they boot X/XBMC as a service rather than the HOWTO instructions where you have it autologin on ttyN) so yea... the -p is in there. Thanks for the tip!!

Edit: I just removed the -p and it worked like a charm.
Hi there,
I've tried to run some tests with 1080p content and I have some questions. I've not been able to find answers in the previous posts, but it seems that most of you guys are able to play HD files fine.

You can find the full report of my tests here:

http://pastebin.com/f5aed3bfe

My questions are:
1 - Why do I have tavcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet warnings and skipped frames?
2 - How do I have to tune the cache in order to play correctly 1080p? From my tests you will see that 2048K seems better than smaller but also larger cache sizes...
3 - How to get rid of video sync problems and artifacts? Do they depend on interlaced handling and/or video scaling settings?
4 - Why my xbmc seems to have problems with AC3 audio? Could it depend on missing codecs?
5 - How to set-up xbmc in order to have it detect 1080p? As you can see xrandr has a 1080p mode, but I can't see it in the appearance/screen/resolution list. Furthermore when setting the resolution to auto xbmc runs in a small window until I force it to fullscreen.

Hope that someone can find the time to answer.
vattila Wrote:Hi there,
I've tried to run some tests with 1080p content and I have some questions. I've not been able to find answers in the previous posts, but it seems that most of you guys are able to play HD files fine.

You can find the full report of my tests here:

http://pastebin.com/f5aed3bfe

My questions are:
1 - Why do I have tavcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet warnings and skipped frames?
2 - How do I have to tune the cache in order to play correctly 1080p? From my tests you will see that 2048K seems better than smaller but also larger cache sizes...
3 - How to get rid of video sync problems and artifacts? Do they depend on interlaced handling and/or video scaling settings?
4 - Why my xbmc seems to have problems with AC3 audio? Could it depend on missing codecs?
5 - How to set-up xbmc in order to have it detect 1080p? As you can see xrandr has a 1080p mode, but I can't see it in the appearance/screen/resolution list. Furthermore when setting the resolution to auto xbmc runs in a small window until I force it to fullscreen.

Hope that someone can find the time to answer.

Thankyou for an exceptional bug report - please could I just request some (complete) xbmc.log's for a problematic test run?
I don't get it to work perfect on XBMC Live, i get choppy play... works like a dream on ubuntu 8.10... Any ideas what can be the differens?
No powernow, pulse disabled =\
Haggy Wrote:I don't think so - but nevertheless it is another issue. Yesterday i built xbmc-vdpau r18447 from svn, compile went fine and xbmc runs great. I downloaded the artbeat sample to test my vdpau setup which plays fine using mplayer from commandline. In xbmc though EVERY video i play (h264 @ 1080p or the simpsons 320x240) has a lot of judder. If i switch rendering to anything other than vdpau everything is fine again and i'm even able to play the artbeat sample smoothly solely on the cpu (AMD 4850e). Using VDPAU gives me the same audio issues as mentioned - audio is OK for about 10sec, then drops out and comes back... video is full of judder and way too slow, but cpu load is beneath 10% on both cores. i repeat: this happens on every video while using VDPAU.

Thats a strange one, Haggy. I'd be tempted to agree with the others and basket it with the trouble mentioned in the other thread - mostly because you mention the problem occuring with 320x240 - which won't be VDPAU accelerated or rendered in XBMC (it will be using GLSL).
motd2k Wrote:mostly because you mention the problem occuring with 320x240 - which won't be VDPAU accelerated or rendered in XBMC (it will be using GLSL).

Well here are some lines from ffmpeg -i about the mentioned file:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'the_simpsons-18x02-jazzy_and_the_pussycats.mp4':
Duration: 00:20:55.87, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 481 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 320x240, 23.98 tb®
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16

As you can see it uses h264 as codec, and i forced VDPAU rendering method so i think it is used? If i force it to shaders, software, whatever, all files play fine. Notice that i did not change any other setting except video render method, and the issue is not only visible @1080p (which is the problem in the other thread) but also on 720p which easily reaches 50+ fps in system info.
Hi,
I've not kept the logfiles for the previous test sessions, so I had to run another complete session with 2048Kb cache (I assume that the main issue is not cache). You can find the details for this new test (test5) here:

http://pastebin.com/f7c877164

These are the logfiles:

Points a-b: http://pastebin.com/f28f86ccc
Point c: http://pastebin.com/f4588f024
Points e-i: http://pastebin.com/f48483faf

Hope it can help: let me know if you need other tests/info.

motd2k Wrote:Thankyou for an exceptional bug report - please could I just request some (complete) xbmc.log's for a problematic test run?
Do you have composite disabled in xorg.conf? Needs to be.

edit: i'm currently updating to latest SVN on my 8200 test machine, can I suggest, if possible, you do the same.

I'm wondering if you're experiencing this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46783 too...
vattila,

potential fix for the caching hang on SVN, please let me know. As I mentioned, please keep an eye on the other thread regarding fullscreen video - sounds like that may be relevant to you too.
bobb0 Wrote:I am using the XBMCLive scripts (I prefer how they boot X/XBMC as a service rather than the HOWTO instructions where you have it autologin on ttyN) so yea... the -p is in there. Thanks for the tip!!

Edit: I just removed the -p and it worked like a charm.

After geting latest version on my LIVE my XBMC will not start either. I tried to remove -p on 2 rows in the "/usr/bin/runXBMC.sh" but that didn't help. Is there somewhere else i should remove it? It just freezes while starting X.

//B
vattila Wrote:Hi there,

My questions are:

If you go back a few pages and check one of my logs about playing 1080p content, you'll see I got the same erroer with avcodec. My problem turned out to be the bug/issue/whatever that mot2dk is linking you to in the other thread.
Another update regarding my extreme judder while using VDPAU. It seems like using vdpau takes down fps in system info to around 10 while both cores stay below 10% load. If i use GLSL rendering, fps also drop but not that much.
Geee - i have too much time for this.

KillaSample or Artbeats show reel:

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau running directly on X / xfce: smooth, fantastic, no load
xbmc using vdpau: extreme judder, audio dropouts, fps around 10 in system info, though no load
xbmc using glsl: almost no judder, fine picture, though load nearly 100% on only one core
mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau running ON xbmc / blended over xbmc: nearly as smooth as on on plain X, no mentionable system load

I tried the last one to see if GL rendering has anything to do with this. I thought maybe the IGP is too slow or memory bandwidth is too limited to handle both 1080p OpenGL and VDPAU at the same time - but (un)fortunately it can handle this without problems.

Let's sleep some hours on this...
Haggy,

Is there anything relevant in the log files? Anything in dmesg or Xorg.0.log? It's not quite the same issue that I had, but for the sake of completeness - could you try booting with the on-board sound disabled via the BIOS, and see if that effects this issue?

Other than that I'm stuck with what to suggest, aside from the issues linuxport is experiencing at the moment regarding the auto-resolution, i've not seen any reports of a slowdown limited to xbmc-VDPAU. I'll have a ponder, but right now my advice is unfortunately limited to the above, and 'make reallyclean', pull the latest SVN, and compile again. You should then try running xbmc from the XBMC folder, by typing ./xbmc.bin -p .

Finally, i'm sure you have done, but double check that the "composite" option is present in xorg.conf, and that it is disabled.

Edit: What OS are you running? I noticed its x86_64, but the kernel string looks unfamiliar. Have you tried in on vanilla intrepid?
I just noticed the new 185.13 nvidia driver which supposed to bring lots of goodies Smile
Mannnn... development is so fast on VDPAU branch.
motd2k, are you using any of the new features in 185.13? do you recommend to upgrade to this version?
Thanks for the constant bug fixing and enhancement for this branch, fantastic job.