Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anybody else have the issue of hitting play again to view the cpu usage,etc while playing will cause xbmc to crash back to desktop? Trying to access audio setting will cause the crash too.
motd2k Wrote:Last i checked several of these didnt even play in mplayer, so not much chance there.

@motd2k
is the above in reply to Olympia's post playing .m4v trailers ?
or in reply to my post regarding the .flv crashing XBMC?

Thanks,
Deanjo Wrote:Does anybody else have the issue of hitting play again to view the cpu usage,etc while playing will cause xbmc to crash back to desktop? Trying to access audio setting will cause the crash too.

Here are the tracebacks and logs for the crash.
OS is openSUSE 11.1 x86-64 2.6.27.19-3.2-default KDE 3.5 no compositor stuff
SVN version: r18558M (Although it happens with earlier checkouts as well.)
Hardware Phenom 9850, Asus M3N-HT, 8 Gig ram, 8800GT (two of them actually, set in sli mode but issue is persistent no matter if sli is enabled or not)

Built with my little script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/
CFLAGS="-I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include"
export CFLAGS
./configure --enable-halmount --prefix=/usr --enable-pulse=no --enable-joystick=no  --enable-xrandr=no
CFLAGS="-I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include" make

http://pastebin.com/fc3e48f8
and
http://pastebin.com/f3b8e8e8d
Kurosama,

Could you tell me a little more about your system? What case did you use? How well does it cool the Asus PCiE? Does the mobo have spdif out? What are using for audio?

Thanks
Dennis
Quote:I just put together a little system for my bedroom:
Via VB8001 (Nano 1.6GHz), 4GB of Ram, Asus EN8400GS PciE 512MB.
Xubuntu 8.10, Nvidia 180.29 binary drivers.
With 1080p content cpu load between 17% and 25%
Guys, let's keep this thread clean for vdpau stuff - motd2k already has a hard time keeping up to date in here ;-)
Deanjo Wrote:Does anybody else have the issue of hitting play again to view the cpu usage,etc while playing will cause xbmc to crash back to desktop? Trying to access audio setting will cause the crash too.

/dev/sequencer or /dev/snd/seq: No such file "something-bla-bla" could be found error??

Happened to me on Jaunty x86_64...

Works ok on Intrepid x86_64.
Hi there! I have a 8400Gs with 256Mo of ram and I wonder if it's enough for vdpau. I tried to run 720p and 1080p materials and it works but every 10~20s I have a very little lag , no frame drop, I wonder if it's because I have only 256mo of Ram on the video card? Any other user experiencing the same problem?
Hi motd2k,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I've followed your suggestions and these are the changes I've done:

1. compiled and installed SVN version 18595
2. changed xorg.conf (now I have the same file you posted in the other thread)
3. changed system resolution from Auto to 1080i 16:9 (even if I have a 1080p display...)

Results:

1. still having "avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet" warnings and packet losses playing Final Fantasy XIII Trailer (file1 in my list)
2. the problem with caching seems to be solved
3. still having video sync problems and artifacts (expecially in faster scenes in 1080p files) - I will follow the thread on fullscreen video
4 still having problems with AC3 (killa sample - file4 in my original list)
5. at startup the application starts in full screen mode, but I'm not able to select 1080p from the list of available modes - I will follow the thread on fullscreen video also for this

Do the files I tested ( http://pastebin.com/f5aed3bfe ) work fine with you?
Can you help me with the AC3 audio issue?

motd2k Wrote:vattila,

potential fix for the caching hang on SVN, please let me know. As I mentioned, please keep an eye on the other thread regarding fullscreen video - sounds like that may be relevant to you too.
hudo Wrote:/dev/sequencer or /dev/snd/seq: No such file "something-bla-bla" could be found error??

Happened to me on Jaunty x86_64...

Works ok on Intrepid x86_64.

This doesnt appear to be vdpau specific. Try linuxport, and if it fails open a trac ticket.
vattila Wrote:1. still having "avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet" warnings and packet losses playing Final Fantasy XIII Trailer (file1 in my list)
2. the problem with caching seems to be solved
3. still having video sync problems and artifacts (expecially in faster scenes in 1080p files) - I will follow the thread on fullscreen video
4 still having problems with AC3 (killa sample - file4 in my original list)
5. at startup the application starts in full screen mode, but I'm not able to select 1080p from the list of available modes - I will follow the thread on fullscreen video also for this

With my 9500GT they all play fine. We know that my 8200 has issues so can't really comment on that until its fixed.
motd2k Wrote:This doesnt appear to be vdpau specific. Try linuxport, and if it fails open a trac ticket.

It's not even XBMC specific. It's an error with alsa install. Like I wrote, must be specific to Jaunty, since Intrepid doesn't show that error and /dev/sequencer or /dev/snd/seq exist.
zoxzox Wrote:Glad to hear that...

It's a mistery on my setup, I guess... Huh

Edit:
Well, it seems that certain external subtitles VDPAU does not like (like unicode?), thou they are displayed fine in Advanced GLSL... So, to correct myself, subtitle are displayed in VDPAU, just not all of them that are supported in Advanced GLSL (XBMC)...

And, it seems, when such subtitle is present as internal .mkv subtitle, it does not render either (in VDPAU mode only).

So I am not the only one, looks like subtitles in mkv do not work. Anybody else has this issues?
motd2k Wrote:This doesnt appear to be vdpau specific. Try linuxport, and if it fails open a trac ticket.

Well the catch here is that without vdpau (just the regular version svn checkout) it does not crash.
danillll Wrote:So I am not the only one, looks like subtitles in mkv do not work. Anybody else has this issues?

As enkil suggested:
enkil Wrote:AFAIK only srt subtitles work while ass subtitles don't

It's most likely that those subs in mkv that you don't see, are actually ASS type subs...

Maybe you can extract them and see if that is the case.

As I recall, libass was updated by ReimarD to support VDPAU (look here), but that libass revision has not hit XBMC svn...

Maybe I should add that initial work was done by Grigori G...
zoxzox Wrote:As enkil suggested:

It's most likely that those subs in mkv that you don't see, are actually ASS type subs...

Maybe you can extract them and see if that is the case.

As I recall, libass was updated by ReimarD to support VDPAU (look here), but that libass revision has not hit XBMC svn...

Maybe I should add that initial work was done by Grigori G...

@zoxzox

I am not sure if the subtitles are of type ASS (that's a wrong name for a format Smile ) , I will check when I first get home, but I can assure you that these subtitles were working fine with VDPAU 2 weeks ago before I updated to the latest rev.

I will try to debug it later on this evening and update you with my findings.

@motd2k any input on this?

thanks