Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NuSkooler Wrote:I'm not sure if you're interested in "success stories", but to anyone interested/curious, I just upgraded my system and put the following "old" parts in a OrigenAE case with XBMC/MythTV using the XBMC from SVN (as of about a week ago) and the VDPAU stuff enabled:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
2 GB RAM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX

All video content I have in my archives including 1080p rips play without any visible flaws whatsoever. A interesting note for all the Windows haters: The exact same hardware running Vista was NOT able to play 1080p content =)

Keep up the great work!

You probably didn't have codecs correctly installed in Vista because iirc the 8800GTX does *not* support VDPAU. Take a look at your CPU load next time you're on linux while watching a 1080p movie. If it's not below ~10% then I'm pretty sure you're not using the GPU. Moreover I believe motd2k put something into the code a week ago that automatically forces xbmc-vdpau to fall back to software rendering if an 8800GTX is detected.
motd2k Wrote:These files fail to playback on GLSL (and therefore i'd imagine on linuxport too). I'd suggest trying them in mplayer - if they're slow in there then theres nothing much we can do about it - it's either a problem with the ffmpeg decoder or (more likely) a bizarre encoding... perhaps firmware the camera?

Thank you motd2k and cejstrup for testing the video files out! Smile

I totally agree that bizarre encoding could be the problem.. though, I was able to playback these files with VLC in windows when I followed a tip about 5D MKII video playback;

Using the free “VLC media player” program I did get smooth HD video and audio playback, but you may have to do the following to set it up for HD video playback on a slower system:

Open Tools, go to Preferences
Click Show settings = “All”
Go to “Input/Codecs
Go to “Other codecs/ FFmpeg” subcategory
Set “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding” to “ALL”
Restart the program

"Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" fixed it... (though the CPU usage was almost peaking at 80-90%) Smile But this was before the 9400GT was able to help with the decoding.
nul7 Wrote:I see some of you reverting to older builds... is that something I can do from SVN? Some sort of commandline switch to specify which version or would I need to have backed up a previous build?

Sure - just do 'svn up -r<revision_you_want>' in your checkout directory, and always do at least a 'make distclean' afterwards. For more information may i suggest the excellent svn book: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
mythmaster Wrote:Subject: Donated

Thanks, XBMC devs, esp. motd2k!!

Have a drink on me --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF1T_CdGro

Big Grin

mythmaster Wrote:Yes, this is truly an awesome achievement...NVIDIA should be applauded; but, at the same time, we should take motd2k out and get him sloppy drunk and laid. He should wake up wondering "What the hell??!!??" with 3 or 4 beautiful girls blowing him! Nod

motd2k Wrote:Could always donate part of the money you saved with your 10-yr old computers to the devcon '09 beer fund!!!

The XBMC crew didn't hook you up? Huh

Not to worry...

My karmatic powers are inter-planetary in scope! Wink
Are you sure that it has been fixed? I have the same problem with SVN version 18652 (logs here: http://pastebin.com/m20425985 ).

motd2k Wrote:aware, fixed on SVN
vattila Wrote:Are you sure that it has been fixed? I have the same problem with SVN version 18652 (logs here: http://pastebin.com/m20425985 ).

Yes, i'm certain. You have a 8200 - this has a different issue which isn't related to VDPAU. I'd imagine if you started windowed (with resolution in XBMC set at 'Auto') you'd find playback was okay.
I know that you are also working on my problems with 8200.

What I'm saying now is that I am able to play HD content (with the problems reported some days ago) but not standard definition ones. The log file is related to the attempt to play an SD file from my storage.

motd2k Wrote:Yes, i'm certain. You have a 8200 - this has a different issue which isn't related to VDPAU. I'd imagine if you started windowed (with resolution in XBMC set at 'Auto') you'd find playback was okay.
I see. The log file doesnt through up anything particularly interesting.

Its falling back to GLSL rendering because you're attempting to play a DVD - but that is normal... it should therefore play back exactly as it would have done in linuxport. The problem with SD rendering from yesterday was that I was not creating the textures - and I see that those got created in your logfile.

Really rather mysterious. I'll have a ponder... sorry I can't be more definitive!

The 'check' on whether to use VDPAU or not for SD content is at line 134 in xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDFactoryCodec.cpp - unfortunately because of the way xbmc works, DVD-menus do not function correctly, and so we're unable to use VDPAU currently for these. Could you try forcing the renderer in XBMC from 'Auto' to 'Advanced GLSL' and see if you can play them then?
motd2k Wrote:I see. The log file doesnt through up anything particularly interesting.

Its falling back to GLSL rendering because you're attempting to play a DVD - but that is normal... it should therefore play back exactly as it would have done in linuxport. The problem with SD rendering from yesterday was that I was not creating the textures - and I see that those got created in your logfile.

Really rather mysterious. I'll have a ponder... sorry I can't be more definitive!

The 'check' on whether to use VDPAU or not for SD content is at line 134 in xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDFactoryCodec.cpp - unfortunately because of the way xbmc works, DVD-menus do not function correctly, and so we're unable to use VDPAU currently for these. Could you try forcing the renderer in XBMC from 'Auto' to 'Advanced GLSL' and see if you can play them then?

Only Auto mode seems to work: what I mean is that if I change to any other mode (VDPAU included) I am no longer able to play any type of file (SD and HD). While in Auto mode only HDs work. I also tried to reboot the system after switching to other modes...
vattila Wrote:Only Auto mode seems to work: what I mean is that if I change to any other mode (VDPAU included) I am no longer able to play any type of file (SD and HD). While in Auto mode only HDs work. I also tried to reboot the system after switching to other modes...

This seems to be the same as my problem few posts above. Could you please look at your debug log and watch out for 'CLinuxRenderer::GetImage - image planes not allocated'?
Gosh, you do have some bizarre problems! None of this has been reported by anyone else :-(

Since you've tried the universal catch-all fix of a reboot, perhaps its time to try the XBMC equivalent...

PHP Code:
cd ~/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC
make reallyclean
svn update
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install 

Go grab yourself a coffee, will take a while.
I always compile from a fresh checkout, will say my checkout never gets touched despite for updates. I copy the whole tree to a -build directory and work from there.
that was to vattila, the problem you mentioned is most certainly fixed on SVN
Looks like i'm a bit too enthuastic - but hey, i got the time and passion for this :-)
Greetings to the developers and all the participants of the forum.

I carefully watch for updates xbmc-vdpau, and many thanks for the work you are doing.

But I have a problem, with the release of about 18400 or so, because to release SVN18331 everything worked well for HD content 1080p h264. But after the upgrade to 18404 and beyond that it broke and is now playing jerks. In the log appears the message «ERROR: (VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided. (3) at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp: 916» and «ERROR: (VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided. (3) at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU . cpp: 928 ». When playing movies with VC1 codec that is not observed. If I switch to the console, then go back to XBMC, then further reproduction is normal. Now installed XBMC-VDPAU SVN 18658, here is the log run http://pastebin.com/m692deb66
I use a dedicated install XBMC on AMD x2 4600 + and NVIDIA GF 8600 GTS 256 Mb

Sorry for my English, I used the translator google.