Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any requirement for the minimum version of NVidia drivers for VDPAU to work properly? I'm at 180.22 or very close to that one (btw, couldn't figure out how one can check the version of nvidia drivers used in the system...)
They are pretty old, you should upgrade to at least 180.37.
Here's a repo with 185.13 intrepid --> https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa

Also, apparently I missed something in this monolithic thread -- it seems that dvd mpeg2 isn't being accelerated. Am I right? Did this have something to do with the subtitles thing? It's not so much an issue for me as it is for my buddy with the pci card (he's playing 720p ok, btw...hasn't tested 1080i). I can tell him to rip and transcode to 264...
mythmaster Wrote:Here's a repo with 185.13 intrepid --> https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa

Also, apparently I missed something in this monolithic thread -- it seems that dvd mpeg2 isn't being accelerated. Am I right? Did this have something to do with the subtitles thing? It's not so much an issue for me as it is for my buddy with the pci card (he's playing 720p ok, btw...hasn't tested 1080i). I can tell him to rip and transcode to 264...

Yea, almost, its not accelerated at the moment due to the way XBMC composites overlay layers being incompatible with VDPAU. It will be. Eventually.
motd2k Wrote:Yea, almost, its not accelerated at the moment due to the way XBMC composites overlay layers being incompatible with VDPAU. It will be. Eventually.
Cool, thx
Thanks, motd2k. Any suggestion on how to check the version of nvidia driver that is in use now? Don't want to upgrade unless I have to (ie, I really do run 180.22 and not smth newer)...
NVIDIA-settings from a command shell in X will bring up the settings program which will display driver version, GPU temp, etc. etc.
You can run "nvidia-settings" from terminal. It will show version. Or, "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Driver" and look for line with "NVIDIA dlloader X Driver" and version # will be after.

LOL, just saw you while previewing, BLKMGK! Smile
Haggy Wrote:Well, your current build is rather old regarding lots of improvements that were made since. vdpau is now part of mainline linuxport and i suggest you try out a very recent checkout of that branch. i just compiled 18925 and will have a look at it tonight.
Last evening I tested same old 18735 build and I think I found sollution for 23.976 fps MKV's stuttering problem. I set projectors vertical refresh rate from 24 Hz down to 23.98 Hz via new modeline and I got prefect movement no stuttering no tearing at all. And I didn't noticed any audio sync problems. Now XBMC info shows that framerate varies between 23.95 fps and 24 fps.

At same time when I was testing new 23.98 Hz mode, I noticed that after fastforwarding or rewinding video begins to stutter. After that I didn't get smooth movement until I press stop and resume playback. Maybe somekind XBMC's buffering problem?
motd2k Wrote:Yea, almost, its not accelerated at the moment due to the way XBMC composites overlay layers being incompatible with VDPAU. It will be. Eventually.
Hmm, i don't know if it's even worth it since MPEG2 can be decoded on virtually anything able to run xbmc in the first place.
Quote:Last evening I tested same old 18735 build and I think I found sollution for 23.976 fps MKV's stuttering problem. I set projectors vertical refresh rate from 24 Hz down to 23.98 Hz via new modeline

This thing has been driving me nuts, have you had success in xorg modelines or in xbmc's modeline config?

thanks!

sebj
Haggy Wrote:Hmm, i don't know if it's even worth it since MPEG2 can be decoded on virtually anything able to run xbmc in the first place.

The VDPAU filters would be nice though...

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:The VDPAU filters would be nice though...

xnappo
and deinterlacing
sebj Wrote:This thing has been driving me nuts, have you had success in xorg modelines or in xbmc's modeline config?

thanks!

sebj

I made new modeline with xvidtune and put it into xorg.conf. I didn't know that xbmc has modeline config.
volenin Wrote:Thanks, motd2k. Any suggestion on how to check the version of nvidia driver that is in use now? Don't want to upgrade unless I have to (ie, I really do run 180.22 and not smth newer)...

In gnome - System/Preferences/NVIDIA X Server Settings. Driver version will be shown on the right, under System Information.