Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do I need to do something to enable VDPAU?

I'm running revision 18943 from the precompiled svn intrepid PPAs
I have a GeForce 9500GT 512mb ram and 180.29 driver. When I play mkv files it is still using ~70% of both cores.
the PPA dont yet contain VDPAU functionality... you'd have to build from source.
I see, I misunderstood the title change of this thread. Any idea when it will make it to the PPA?

From what I have read it looks like my vid card supports this, correct?
pork: Yes, your card is supported. Any 8xxx and 9xxx is supported with an exception of the 'old' 8800 i think. You may have a look at the nvidia driver readme which also states whether VC-1 or MPEG2 is fully or only partially supported by your GPU. Don't worry - even partial support is more than enough for HD decoding.
I'm still running 18670, is full screen working for the 8x00 series in the mainline SVN? I have an 8200 IGP, motd2k mentioned he was going to make some patches or continue work on the -vdpau branch? Just wondering if it's worth trying the latest svn.
no, they're not in yet. i don't know if they will make it to 9.04.
Sorry for the question but,

Has there been any improvements in the SSA subtitles support? It is the only thing now that keeps me away from vdpau... Sad

regards,
Quote:./xbmc/cores/ffmpeg/vdpau.h:47:25: error: vdpau/vdpau.h: No such file or directory
../xbmc/cores/ffmpeg/vdpau.h:48:29: error: vdpau/vdpau_x11.h: No such file or directory

I get this error when trying to compile. Does this mean I have not installed my nvidia driver correctly? I am using 180.29.
try 185.13 also make sure you install the development libs aswell as the driver
As for very recent svn builds (since 18900 iirc) there's no more need for 185.13 as there's a switch in advancedsettings.xml. There you can turn on (185.13) or off (>=180.37) strict binding. According to motd2k off should be a bit faster.
I've tried skimming and reading most of the posts in this thread (at 70+ it's proving difficult) so I greatly apologize if this is already addressed.

I have an Intrepid install with Nvidia driver ver 185 (from http://ppa.launchpad.net/thefirstm/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main).

I also have XBMC r18943 (from http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main).

I see the VDPAU option in the XBMC renderer. My Nvidia driver is installed correctly and vdpinfo verifies everything should be good to go on my IGP Geforce 8200 (with 512MB).

I've turned of the composite in xorg.conf as well.

My playback still uses the CPU however, so I'm thinking I'm missing something rather obvious. I've tried to force the renderer to use VDPAU and the playback was still extremely choppy.

Hopefully I've given enough info that someone may be able to see "hah .. there is your problem!"

Thanks
I Think there is no VDPAU inside ppa for intrepid Sad
Sorry, but what's the exact syntax in advancedsettings for strictbinding? Am I right in assuming it's
Code:
<videoplayer.strictbinding>true</videoplayer.strictbinding>
?
MrDVD Wrote:I Think there is no VDPAU inside ppa for intrepid Sad

Yeah? I guess I'm confused then cuz it does show up as an option for the renderer within XBMC SVN.

That would explain why it isn't working though Smile

Edit .. I see some posts in the PPA thread above this that suggest this as well. Doh!

Thanks!
evileyez Wrote:I see the VDPAU option in the XBMC renderer. My Nvidia driver is installed correctly and vdpinfo verifies everything should be good to go on my IGP Geforce 8200 (with 512MB).

Are you using decently spec'ed dual channel ram? I noticed a huge difference when I went from single channel 533 mhz to dual 800mhz.