Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
fasteddy Wrote:Are you using decently spec'ed dual channel ram? I noticed a huge difference when I went from single channel 533 mhz to dual 800mhz.

I'm using DDR2 667 - 2 1GB sticks.

I'm having a feeling it is the Intrepid thing as above though, I'm compiling now. I figured it was something simple that I overlooked.
fasteddy Wrote:Am I right in assuming it's
Code:
<videoplayer.strictbinding>true</videoplayer.strictbinding>
?
Nope, it's:
Code:
<videoplayer>
  <strictbinding>true|false</strictbinding>
</videoplayer>
every dot means an extra childnode in xml.

evileyez Wrote:Yeah? I guess I'm confused then cuz it does show up as an option for the renderer within XBMC SVN.

That would explain why it isn't working though Smile

Edit .. I see some posts in the PPA thread above this that suggest this as well. Doh!

Thanks!
Don't turn VDPAU explicitly on, leave it at 'Auto'. There's a bug with this gui setting. 'Auto' should detect and use VDPAU for h264 and vc1.
[found error]

sudo apt-get install -y localepurge subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xorg pm-utils

checking for main in -lpng12... yes
checking for main in -ljpeg... yes
checking for main in -lpcre... yes
checking for main in -llzo2... no
checking for main in -llzo... yes
checking for main in -lcdio... no
. Please see README.linux

I have ubuntu 8.10 incl all update and all package Oo

# sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils
I had the same error but it was the libcdio-dev that was missing for me.

You have that package in the first list

try
Code:
sudo apt-get install libcdio-dev

Just to be sure you have it.
Guys, sorry this is a little OT, but what are your impressions of playback *quality* with these vdpau drivers? I've been playing around with this stuff for a while now, and I'm struggling to achieve the crispness and clarity that I would associate with "HD".

I've been building a HTPC based on Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H (onboard geforce 9400) + E5200, coupled to a Sony Bravia KDLV2000 (a 720p-capable set).

I've tried XBMC VDPAU branch, and also the latest mplayer from SVN. In both cases the output is "OK", but lacking clarity and bite. Full-bitrate HD content looks nowhere near as good as via a dedicated player. In fact, I would say my Sammy upscaling DVD player does a much better job - even with SD content.

Incidentally, I've also tried mplayer with CoreAVC codec, which in most cases appears to deliver a slightly sharper & clearer image, but the difference isn't enormous.

I'm wondering if it's just down to connectivity, since I've had to resort to VGA connection for now, since this TV annoyingly insists on overscanning HDMI, but will accept native resolution (1368x768) over VGA. I'm using good quality cabling, and have tried substituting, but without much change.

Perhaps I'm hoping for too much. What do you guys reckon?
FatBoyFat Wrote:Guys, sorry this is a little OT, but what are your impressions of playback *quality* with these vdpau drivers? I've been playing around with this stuff for a while now, and I'm struggling to achieve the crispness and clarity that I would associate with "HD".

I've been building a HTPC based on Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H (onboard geforce 9400) + E5200, coupled to a Sony Bravia KDLV2000 (a 720p-capable set).

I've tried XBMC VDPAU branch, and also the latest mplayer from SVN. In both cases the output is "OK", but lacking clarity and bite. Full-bitrate HD content looks nowhere near as good as via a dedicated player. In fact, I would say my Sammy upscaling DVD player does a much better job - even with SD content.

Incidentally, I've also tried mplayer with CoreAVC codec, which in most cases appears to deliver a slightly sharper & clearer image, but the difference isn't enormous.

I'm wondering if it's just down to connectivity, since I've had to resort to VGA connection for now, since this TV annoyingly insists on overscanning HDMI, but will accept native resolution (1368x768) over VGA. I'm using good quality cabling, and have tried substituting, but without much change.

----edit----

Also, just to add, I had the same overscan problem but it got sorted when I forced the correct resolution

Short and direct: It's the cable - I saw a HUGE improvement when I dropped the VGA cable and hooked up via HDMI. Crisp and crystal clear.

If you have an Nvidia card try the modified xorg.conf in the Wiki install guide
FatBoyFat Wrote:Guys, sorry this is a little OT, but what are your impressions of playback *quality* with these vdpau drivers? I've been playing around with this stuff for a while now, and I'm struggling to achieve the crispness and clarity that I would associate with "HD".

You're not going to get HD quality using VGA. Use HDMI.
I have the same motherboard as you and the quality is perfect using HDMI on my 42" Panasonic Plasma.
I did have some issues getting the TV to accept 1080p though(in linux..no problems at all in wondows).
Ten I found this brilliant modeline generator. Works like a charm with 1080p and all. Try it out:

http://amlc.berlios.de/
HD or not HD is no a matter of cable, the resolution is what makes a movie HD or SD.
However, VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, to avoid quality loss drop both DAC (Digital Analog Converter) one on your VGA card that converts digital to analog and the other on your TV which goes analog to digital. And of course all processing in your TV is digital..
Hope this helps..
Yeah,please note I wrote 'HD quality' and not just HD resolution. But obviously the quality is better when using HDMI since it's digital. I have tried the VGA once and it looks absolutely horrible once you've gotten used to HDMI there's no going back Smile
OK guys, thanks for your helpful responses. I'm going to try HDMI again, and see if I can get better results. It's just a bit annoying that I have to drop so much resolution going that route.

First I have to output 720p, rather than the panel's native 768p - just because that's what the TV expects over HDMI. Then, to add insult to injury, I need to mess with modelines to "underscan" to 6xxp, just to compensate for the bone-headed overscan the TV applies to HDMI signals. It's a shame that Sony saw fit to carry this legacy bodge (overscan) into the shiny new HD world (although technically, I'm only "HD-Ready"). I sure wish someone would patch Sony's firmware for 1:1 mapping. Also, it doesn't help matters that the TV's EDID misreports the native resolution as 1080i, when 720p would be closer to the truth.

@cejstrup: Thanks for the tool link. I'm going to take a look at that Smile
Actually my Panasonic TV's EDID also misreports it's resolution and only thinks it's capable of 720p when in fact it's full-HD.
But the modeline tool managed to get that fixed. I do find it strange that Windows has no problems seeing it as 1080p capable.
Quote:johan@Tiji:~$ xbmc
/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libvdpau.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
johan@Tiji:~$

Since I have a ATI card Im not using the function, how do I disable it?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and the version is "8.10final1svn19025-intrepid1".
Tested the svn@19020, 1080p plays great only if I start xbmc with auto resolution and then hit the full-screen key (\ on keyboard) so it will scale to full screen. During playback I need to hit the full-screen key twice. Otherwise I will see lots of frame drop (jitter playback).

I am using geforce 8100 with CPU set to 1.8G HZ, nvidia driver 180.43. strictbinding was set to false in the advancedsettings.xml.

I understand that this probably is an on-going issue, but I would like to emphasis that the same system works great on xbmc-vdpau svn@18436. Therefore I would say it's a regression for MCP78 platform users.

Binary for these two xbmc version mentioned can be downloaded from megauplad (go to http://code.google.com/p/plowshare/ for tools to automatically download/upload files from megaupload). The default install path is /usr/local/ so it will not mess up with your xbmc ppa install.

xbmc svn@19020
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RX8XPJ8K

xbmc-vdpau svn@18436
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5WOFMSK6

I really hope we can get this sorted out plus the subtitle issue before the 9.04 release. If any developers need to test their patches related to these two issues, please give me a shout.
Valpen Wrote:Since I have a ATI card Im not using the function, how do I disable it?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and the version is "8.10final1svn19025-intrepid1".

Same problem here. I can't start latest svn build since it asks for libvdpau, which I don't have and cannot install since I am running a computer with Intel graphics.
cewan Wrote:Same problem here. I can't start latest svn build since it asks for libvdpau, which I don't have and cannot install since I am running a computer with Intel graphics.

You can install the missing vdpau library from http://www.avenard.org even you don't have nvidia hardware. They are just library after all.

add the following to your apt repository
Code:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/
deb-src http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/

then install it with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-180-libvdpau

List of files in nvidia-180-libvdpau
Code:
/.
/usr