Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@boba: how much ram does that card have ? 256 doesn't cut it afaik.
If you get distorted video, restart XBMC. That seems to fix my video glitches.
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:@boba: how much ram does that card have ? 256 doesn't cut it afaik.

Ahrg, damnit. You are right. I could have sworn that the card had 512mb, just checked and it does indeed only have 256mb :-(
No way to get smooth VDPAU 1080p running with that? I read something about using system memory as well? I got plenty of that ;-)

boba
tslayer Wrote:If you get distorted video, restart XBMC. That seems to fix my video glitches.

How much video ram does your setup have tslayer? 512mb+? Or do you manage to play 1080p with a 256mb card?

boba
Naa.. Only some 1080p played with my older 256mb card. I now have a 1gb 9500gt. Plays everything.

I just sometimes have issues where the video is all distorted (some race condition apparently) so I have to restart the video numerous times (or restart XBMC once).
Alright, that's what I am looking at right now too, Gainward 9500gt 1024mb passive. 50 Bucks ... well I'll get just that card then to be on the safe side then ...

thanks

boba
You could try the patch here: http://xbmc.org/ticket/6391
I haven't tried it myself (have a 512mb card) but it looks like it could help.
boba23 Wrote:Back to my VDPAU adventures ... well it doesn't seem as good as my first 2-3 tests seemed to show.
8 out of 10 1080p movies (h264, blueray rips) don't work or are rendered totally fucked up by VDPAU.
How are 1080p h264 movies playing for you guys? actually the only HD content that seems to play reliably for me using VDPAU is 720p h264.
Gotta admit that I don't have very much HD content to test right now.

boba

Boba, could you post your xbmc.log please.

Please, try the patch at http://xbmc.org/ticket/6391.

I also have an 8500gt with 256mb dedicated (512 using 256 of system ram), and was experiencing some problems with 1080p vids on a 1080p output... so i made some modifications and created that patch, now i've been able to play anything that i've thrown to vdpau...

hope it helps
Alright I'll give it a try. Though I guess, a card with more video memory won't hurt anyway.
Where do you set how much system ram can or is being used? Cause u state "using 256mb system ram" ?
BTW, the ticket states the patch was added 3 days ago? Then I guess I had it in already anyway, since I compiled from svn yesterday night ....

Edit: will see if I find the time to try your patch tomorrow/today night. Gotta get some sleep :-)

boba
hey guys,

I got another question regarding the vga upgrade I'am gonna get.
Is there any advantage getting a 9500gt over a 9400gt (both in 1024mb versions) from a XBMC/Video/VDPAU point of view? The 9500gt has more stream processors and texture units. Can this "advantage" ever be used if we talk about video decoding? If not, the 9400gt is the clear way to go for me, also because it's 55nm produced and is said to produce way less heat than the 9500gt ....

thanks

boba
boba23 Wrote:I read something about using system memory as well? I got plenty of that ;-)
read again - that's only true for IGPs like 8xxx and 9xxx and only since 185.19
boba23 Wrote:Alright I'll give it a try. Though I guess, a card with more video memory won't hurt anyway.
Where do you set how much system ram can or is being used? Cause u state "using 256mb system ram" ?
BTW, the ticket states the patch was added 3 days ago? Then I guess I had it in already anyway, since I compiled from svn yesterday night ....

Edit: will see if I find the time to try your patch tomorrow/today night. Gotta get some sleep :-)

boba

Boba,

My card is the http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spe...&class=vga, an msi passive 8500gt, with hdmi output.

I've read the msi product spec page again and now it doesnt state anything about 256 dedicated and 256 via hyper-dont-remember-what-name, so its weird, either case, in the /var/log/Xorg.old.log it says that its using 512mb...
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8500 GT (G86) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes

The patch hasn't been applied to svn yet. The 'added' message was just for stating that motd2k was added to the notificacion cc.
maksimenko Wrote:Boba,

My card is the http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spe...&class=vga, an msi passive 8500gt, with hdmi output.

I've read the msi product spec page again and now it doesnt state anything about 256 dedicated and 256 via hyper-dont-remember-what-name, so its weird, either case, in the /var/log/Xorg.old.log it says that its using 512mb...
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8500 GT (G86) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes

The patch hasn't been applied to svn yet. The 'added' message was just for stating that motd2k was added to the notificacion cc.

Hehe, that's exactly the same card I have man ;-) Alright, will do a clean svn checkout tonight, apply your patch and see what happens. As long as my mainboard handles memory stuff the same way yours does we should see the same results, shouldn't we?

boba
tslayer Wrote:If you get distorted video, restart XBMC. That seems to fix my video glitches.

Speaking in totaly layman's terms, I find that just stopping and restarting the video tends to fix it. For me, it appears that VDPAU gets a frame (sometimes from a different movie) stuck in memory, as though the decoder wasn't properly cleared/reset/initialized.
bobb0 Wrote:Speaking in totaly layman's terms, I find that just stopping and restarting the video tends to fix it. For me, it appears that VDPAU gets a frame (sometimes from a different movie) stuck in memory, as though the decoder wasn't properly cleared/reset/initialized.

Exactly.. but sometimes just restarting the video doesn't work... Often times it is just quicker to restart XBMC Smile