Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thanks to all devs (motd2k rulz) for vdpau and smoothvideo (bobo1on1) Nod, just few quick questions. cause I' m new in linux. what drivers do you recommend for vdpau? I'm using 180.51. how does the latest beta 185.18.08 works? and what is with "strictbindings" does it have to be disabled manually... or? I was having some crashes with vdpau (mostly ts, some mkv) smoothvideo branch, and autorefresh enabled, actually machine reboots itself after few seconds of playback, but most files plays perfect. I will provide debug log /backtrace, upgrade to latest svn, just want to make sure about drivers and could someone please elaborate what strictbindings actually is doing/causing...
freddyflinty Wrote:So, then at least in my setup (Babylon RC1 XBMC Live) scenario #3 isn't working as expected. The high quality upscaling option is definitely not being used (as indicated by lower-than-expected CPU usage, which goes back up when I change the renderer to "auto").

Certainly looks this way. I asked about this few weeks back but didn't receive an answer.

To be completely honest, to my half-blind eyes the difference between bicubic and lanczos is very small. But still..
Hi

I have some problems with vdpau and some videos.

Somes works, and other crash completly xbmc.

Those videos works ok with mplayer + vdpau.

Install method: compiled from svn, manual.
Revision: svn 19928 linux-port
My motherboard have MCP7A chipset with geforce 9300.
I use spdif output for sound with alsa ( 1.0.19 ), AC3 & DTS enabled, passtrought to IEC958.

Nvidia driver are 185.18.04.

The problem comes only when vdpau is enabled and with h264 videos.

When the video is launched, xbmc crash.

Here is the mediainfo log of a video that crash here::

http://pastebin.com/m23698109

Here are the log: http://pastebin.com/m11053298

And here is a backtrace: http://pastebin.com/m56170c67

I suspect an audio problem but i don't understand why it works with software renderer and not with vdpau.

Perhaps it's related, but sometimes it launches a movie without sound ( with mesage can't find audio device ) , and if i restart the same movie, it works back.

I don't have pulseaudio, and xbmc is compiled without pulse.

Best regards.
Just out of curiosity does the geforce 7xxx series cards have vdpau h264 capability and it just hasn't been implemeneted yet, or is that series too old and it will never be implemented? Just wondering if I should upgrade the onboard video card with a dedicated 8 or 9 series card.
toiva Wrote:Certainly looks this way. I asked about this few weeks back but didn't receive an answer.

To be completely honest, to my half-blind eyes the difference between bicubic and lanczos is very small. But still..

Well, I'm actually worried that it is doing nearest neighbor, which is suggested by the video menu during playback... (which definitely has some bugs going on as changing settings does nothing at all for scaling...)
hotlobster Wrote:Hi

I have some problems with vdpau and some videos.

Somes works, and other crash completly xbmc.

Those videos works ok with mplayer + vdpau.

Install method: compiled from svn, manual.
Revision: svn 19978 linux-port
My motherboard have MCP7A chipset with geforce 9300.
I use spdif output for sound with alsa ( 1.0.19 ), AC3 & DTS enabled, passtrought to IEC958.

Nvidia driver are 185.18.04.

The problem comes only when vdpau is enabled and with h264 videos.

When the video is launched, xbmc crash.

Here is the mediainfo log of a video that crash here::

http://pastebin.com/m23698109

Here are the log: http://pastebin.com/m11053298

And here is a backtrace: http://pastebin.com/m56170c67

I suspect an audio problem but i don't understand why it works with software renderer and not with vdpau.

Perhaps it's related, but sometimes it launches a movie without sound ( with mesage can't find audio device ) , and if i restart the same movie, it works back.

I don't have pulseaudio, and xbmc is compiled without pulse.

Best regards.

Hello hotlobster,

Are you sure that you are using svn r19978? From the log it seems to be r19928:
#
16:38:48 T:3028178832 M:1237168128 NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: GNU/Linux. Built on May 4 2009 (SVN:19928)

I've used to have that kind of crashed with vdpau until r19937 that elupus fixed (it was a missing lock of the graphiccontext before creating the vdpau decoder)

Hope it helps
Hi Maksimenko,

You're right. I've made a typo, was building latest 19978 while testing my previous build and pasting logs.

Just compiled 19978 so and it seems to be ok now.

Lol, I was fighting this bug for a week now, and it's when I decide to ask for help on the forum that the bug is corrected on svn Big Grin

Things fixeds . That's what i call real time support. Smile

Thanks .
So with the VDPAU arrival, does this effect the spec for the hardware?

Now the CPU only needs to take care of menus, screen saver, etc.

If I want to build a Linux XBMC box from start with VDPAU enabled for all content, then besides the right graphics card, what would then be the minimum CPU and memory (size, speed) requirement?
Someone ran it with a P3-600... Tongue Plenty of others have used various Atom processors. You'll want 1GB minimum with a dedicated GPU card, or 2GB minimum with an iGPU (dual channel).
I currently use svn co https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...xbmc-vdpau xbmc-vdpau to grab my latest version.

However with 9.04 VDPAU should be integrated. Should I use a different svn now to keep up to date with the latest changes?

Thanks,

Dennis
vdpau is in regular linuxport branch now. It's been there for a long time. You are VERY outdated if you are using the vdpau branch.
I used the instructions on the first page. It might be handy to make it clearer for people to realize that that isn't the correct way of getting the latest and greatest for VDPAU. I know I fell for it Smile
I've just upgraded to Babylon final and was able to reproduce the scaling bug. (my #3 scenario mentioned earlier).

With VDPAU is enabled, non-VDPAU content (e.g. MPEG2 DVD, XviD) are being scaled with the very poor "nearest neighbor" scaling method regardless of what HQ upscaling settings are in place.

Have a look at this DreamWorks logo (look at the "W") from the Shrek 2 DVD with VDPAU enabled and HQ upscaling set to bicubic. Notice all the jaggies.

Now take a look at the same screenshot with renderer set to "Auto" and HQ upscaler set to bicubic.

They should be the same, but this one has a nice smooth "W" in DreamWorks.

So, until this bug is resolved I would suggest that non-VPDAU content that needs to be scaled (e.g. a DVD on an HDTV) not be viewed with VDPAU enabled.

I hope this is helpful, if there is anything else I can do please let me know.
For those commenting about the VDPAU crasing, I noticed that for the most part, it crashes when having a look at an HD video and stopping then looking at another, but not so much when doing that same thing more SLOWLY. Just an obvservation Smile
marshalleq: the crash on stop issue (when xrandr is enabled) is fixed on SVN, however there was a separate unrelated commit that broke seeking in VDPAU files. I've tracked the issue down so that will be fixed very soon.

SVN is very active at the moment; due to the fact that we just came out of feature freeze everyone is commit their latest and greatest, so please be aware that it may be slightly less stable than usual.

freddyflinty: thats very interesting - i'll take a look at that, thanks for the report - please could you open a trac in the meantime.

flxfxp: I'll edit those, thanks for the headsup!