Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PHP Code:
Mem:    853480k total 
Bit of a funny total - you have 1GB of memory and so the GPU is taking up ~170MB. Hopefully once you have your extra 3GB it'll be better.

As an aside, if you want an easy life with XBMC (and media-centres on linux in general) ditch the x86_64.
tslayer Wrote:Do not try the killa sample. Your card is only 256mb I believe right? If so, you will not have enough memory for that clip or other planet earth clips.

I had the same issue with my 8600GT (256mb). I have since then upgraded to a 9500GT 1gb and no problems.

Check your xbmc.log for errors. You should see resource issues.

Hmm...I just ordered a 9400 512mb for my 1080p rig. Should I cancel that and go for a 9500 1gb or will 512 do on a 3ghz core 2 duo /w 2gb ram?
eamiryar Wrote:Hmm...I just ordered a 9400 512mb for my 1080p rig. Should I cancel that and go for a 9500 1gb or will 512 do on a 3ghz core 2 duo /w 2gb ram?
I use a 9400 512mb, as far as I read this is the recommended. Works fine with 1080p even tried 40mbit/s VC1's.
I have a 9400GT 512MB - very nice card
Cool. Thanks for the replies.
motd2k Wrote:
PHP Code:
Mem:    853480k total 
Hopefully once you have your extra 3GB it'll be better.
As an aside, if you want an easy life with XBMC (and media-centres on linux in general) ditch the x86_64.

ok. I will see how the extra 3 Gig RAM will work out. I think Apple says that under Mac OS the Mac Mini 3.1 graphic card only has 128 MB if you have 1 GB RAM installed. When you upgrade to 2 GB or more you get 256 MB for the graphic card. But this is all under Mac OS. We'll see how it behaves with Ubuntu.

For the Ubuntu 64 bit part. I might do a fresh install of the 32 bit version. As for this one problem with the "o" key I did not have any more troubles with 64 bit yet.. but we will see. Thanks for the advice anyway.
@motd2k
Your post catches my interest Big Grin

Originally Posted by motd2k

If someone would have asked me before I read some of the threads here, I would have offered that 64-bit would be beneficial for media systems. For instance all the MMX/SSE operations should benefit greatly from the extra width, thus speeding up at least the video decoding parts. Also, video streams tend to be largely sequential and need to be moved all over the place (to/from system memory, CPU, video memory). Having wider word size should help there as well, no?

So why wouldn't (at least on of) the devs be interested in all these (free when yo have a reasonably modern system) benefits?

I'm very interested to hear your opinion on this,

With kind regards,

Tuxwielder
extra performance means nothing when libraries return 32-bit ThreadIDs causing large scale explosions unfortunately.
Also maybe in general to roughly say, having few percentage squeeze in performance but tenths of percents more problems/troubles might fit in this case.
Quote:Also maybe in general to roughly say, having few percentage squeeze in performance but tenths of percents more problems/troubles might fit in this case.

Blogposts like:

http://bingouv.blogspot.com/2008/08/desk...son32.html

seem to suggest a different tradeoff (look at the PGP decoding or mencoder results, for instance).

Quote:extra performance means nothing when libraries return 32-bit ThreadIDs causing large scale explosions unfortunately.

I thought I was posting to the "XBMC for Linux" group not "XBMC for Windows Me™" Laugh Seriously, this kind of chicken and egg problem makes that people are still mostly using XP-32bit. But even in the m$ world XBMC is going to have to move to 64-bit with windows7...

Are there some notorious libraries still causing these problems? As far as I can see, the parts of the ffmpeg/SDL libraries that are being used by apps like mplayer should work OK. At least mplayer 64-bit works for me. (I suspect you guys must get tired of being compared with mplayer all the time. Not my intention here, I'm just referring to the apparent stability of parts of the 64-bit libraries it seems to use.)

For now it looks like I'm going to have to look into compiling xbmc under 'setarch i386'...

Thanks for your answer,

With kind regards,

Jeroen
I think (I caught the tailend of the discussion) SDL was providing us with a 32-bit cast of the thread ID in SDL_GetThreadID. There are also, again off the top of my head, issues with SMB access on 64-bit.

We're not trying to piss on anyone's chips here, its something that's being worked on but my comment was simple; right now, an enduser looking for an easy life should use 32-bit... It's not like i follow my own advice here either, most of the development work for this very thread topic was done on x86_64!

More the merrier on fixing the remaining issues.
VDPAU fails completely for me when I try and turn it on.

am using Ubuntu 9.04 updated as of May10th/2009 i686 arch Linux 2.6.28-12-generic
Nvidia drivers 185.18.08
AMD 7750BE 2gb of RAM Geforce 9400 GT 512mb

XBMC r19947

xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/mcbdd748
screenshot- http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8175/...hot000.png

I'm currently updating from svn
motd2k Wrote:freddyflinty: thats very interesting - i'll take a look at that, thanks for the report - please could you open a trac in the meantime.

Hi motd2k,

Thanks so much for fixing the bug! Could I ask you to kindly set the milestone to 9.04 so we don't have to wait 6 months to watch SD content with VDPAU enabled? Wink

You're the man!
ronin Wrote:VDPAU fails completely for me when I try and turn it on.

am using Ubuntu 9.04 updated as of May10th/2009 i686 arch Linux 2.6.28-12-generic
Nvidia drivers 185.18.08
AMD 7750BE 2gb of RAM Geforce 9400 GT 512mb

XBMC r19947

xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/mcbdd748
screenshot- http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8175/...hot000.png

I'm currently updating from svn

PHP Code:
18:09:32 T:2829810576 M:1881223168   ERROR:  (VDPAUErrorThe system does not have enough resources to complete the requested operation at this time.(23at VDPAU.cpp:709 

This indicates that you don't have enough video memory usually - not really sure, do you happen to have a spare 512MB NVIDIA card?... if that worked i'd be RMAing the one you have, as I suspect it's a hardware issue.
freddyflinty Wrote:Hi motd2k,

Thanks so much for fixing the bug! Could I ask you to kindly set the milestone to 9.04 so we don't have to wait 6 months to watch SD content with VDPAU enabled? Wink

You're the man!

9.04 is released so it'd make no difference. There is talk of having a 9.04fixes release with any bugfixes, if this happens it'll be in there.