Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
that would be the OSD; Video Settings
I am still testing my MKVs, they all look good except one with the green screen.
I am running on 9400 on board with 512 MB allocated memory, so not sure if the following is even supported

General
Complete name : E:\MKV\V For Vendetta.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 13.0 GiB
Duration : 2h 12mn
Overall bit rate : 14.0 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-12-07 21:02:12
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
Format : VC-1
Codec ID : WVC1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Duration : 2h 12mn
Bit rate : 11.9 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : bit0
Title : VC1 Remux Untouched
Language : English
pike Wrote:that would be the OSD; Video Settings

did the postprocessing options worked for you?
danillll Wrote:did the postprocessing options worked for you?

I didn't try them extensively, but the sharpness seemed to work at least.
olympia Wrote:Unfortunately now I am experiencing some lagging and slow downs with most of my mkvs, always at the same scenes, but it is not related to autorefresh. I see the same behaviour with autorefresh disabled. Interestingly killa is OK.

Are you experiencing the same?

Pull latest SVN. Smile
alanwww1 Wrote:Motd2k,

i tested the postprocessing filters of vdpau. Shaprpness works and makes a big difference changing the value, but noise filter does not really do anything for me. I tested several movies from SD to HD x264 content but i see no difference.

Anyway, do you think it would be possibe to have these postprocessing capabilities of vdpau also for non h264, mp2, vc1 content ? Eg. xvid AVI files.
It would be a really useful feature as those low bitrate avi files need the most of postprocessing to have an acceptable image.

I will test the inverse telecline function. As i understand it does some kind of pull down for cinema 24fps content to 60hz TV screen.

Yea - i dont see much for the noise filter either... it's definitely being turned on though /shrug

WRT the post-processing for xvids, i'll have a think but my gut instinct says no - not possible.
danillll Wrote:I am still testing my MKVs, they all look good except one with the green screen.
I am running on 9400 on board with 512 MB allocated memory, so not sure if the following is even supported

VC1 Remux Untouched

I have the same with VC-1 files. I also have 9400 integrated with 512Mb RAM.
From VDPAU info it shows that VC-1 is supported, however i am not sure if it is really working already with the NVIDIA driver.

If anyone had VC-1 working, please report back.
Thanks.
motd2k Wrote:WRT the post-processing for xvids, i'll have a think but my gut instinct says no - not possible.

If the VDPAU postprocessing works without a self decoded stream, so if you could pass a raw videos stream to it than it could work. But we might need VDPAU renderer for that. We still use opengl right ?
@motd2k
Well I got it working and I must say it is pretty impressive. I am playing the "killa sample" at about 2% cpu usage.

I have been noticing a fair amount of crashes though. Never during playback though. Usually it will happen when a movie ends or randomly while the system is idling, ie I leave xbmc running all the time and just turn off my projector. For the last few days though when I turn it back on xbmc has crashed at some point in the night.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? I am compiling a new build as I am writing this. I will see if the problem continues and if it does, I will post some debug logs. Cheers and thanks for the amazing work!
hmm, whenever i play a h264 video with "auto detect" or VDPAU as the renderer XBMC instantly crashes when i attempt to play the video.

EDIT: i used ./configure --enable-vdpau --prefix=/usr

Trying to compile r17941 and i installed the latest drivers myself.

oh i needed to update my driver :x

anywhozer.. i forgot VDPAU didn't support subtitles (now i'm back on windows with hw decoding and SAA/ASS subtitles Tongue)
alanwww1 Wrote:Motd2k,

i tested the postprocessing filters of vdpau. Shaprpness works and makes a big difference changing the value, but noise filter does not really do anything for me. I tested several movies from SD to HD x264 content but i see no difference.

I will test the inverse telecline function. As i understand it does some kind of pull down for cinema 24fps content to 60hz TV screen.

So this means that I have something wrong with my install or maybe I am just not noticing the difference, but can you confirm if the old brightness and contrast are working too, because mine are not, no change to the picture whatsoever.

How was the inverse telecline? I am excited to try it too, because my tv is 60HZ so this should be great.

EDIT: so I looked up inverse telecine and it's opposite to what we thought, it actually bring down a 30HZ ntsc movies down to 24HZ

"Inverse Telecine is the process where video editing tools reverse telecine process. Basically inverse telecine (or IVTC as it is also called) brings back movie's original framerate from NTSC's 29.97fps to 24fps. "
danillll Wrote:So this means that I have something wrong with my install or maybe I am just not noticing the difference, but can you confirm if the old brightness and contrast are working too, because mine are not, no change to the picture whatsoever.

Brightness and contrast not works, but i never touch those anyway.
The_Rebel Wrote:hmm, whenever i play a h264 video with "auto detect" or VDPAU as the renderer XBMC instantly crashes when i attempt to play the video.

EDIT: i used ./configure --enable-vdpau --prefix=/usr

Trying to compile r17941 and i installed the latest drivers myself.

oh i needed to update my driver :x

anywhozer.. i forgot VDPAU didn't support subtitles (now i'm back on windows with hw decoding and SAA/ASS subtitles Tongue)

Not in XBMC, you're not Tongue
motd2k Wrote:Pull latest SVN. Smile

Now it's okay! That's great!
As I already told several time, your progress is incredible.
It's really getting stabilized now. I played a half an hour trying different formats and it never crashed.

To comment:
- Sometime, when I stop to play a video, then resume the play (not start from the begining), the OSD screen stays on the screen.
- I am also not able to play VC-1 videos
Well I've given up, I'm thinking the board I got just can't handle the test vids I'm using even though vdpinfo says it's fully capable of even VC-1. I've tried Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and vanilla Debian with prebuilt mplayer and with the latest svn (which added vdpau support) and xbmc from this thread as well. All combinations exhibit the exact same behavior ....slow and/or choppy playback and high CPU usage.