Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New View Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The biggest thing missing from the skin at the moment is a good selection of views so I'm trying to come up with some ideas for views and thought I'd throw a few in here to see what people think.

In the other threads I've already posted images of the 3 more established views that I've coded (List, Showcase and Poster Info).

The first new one is called Waterfall and looks like the following:

Effectively it'll be like looking at the top right hand quadrant of an image wheel.

I'm still playing about with placement and exactly what info will be displayed (and where) but it's what people think of the core concept of the arc of thumbs that I'm wondering about.

The current code has a pair of fadelabels to show the info (such as the director above) but it requires the 2 fadelabels to be kept in sync which is not currently possible?
The next view is a Low List view, which (as the name suggests) is a list style view that sits in the bottom part of the screen.

I've created this one primarily as a view for episodes as I like to go through the list of episodes and see episode thumbs along with brief info.
This is the Exhibit view and is pretty much designed for photos/pictures. Unfortunately I don't have any on my dev machine so the screenshot below is the movies version of it.

This kind of goes against the core concept of the skin, where everything is supposed to be minimal so as to keep the background in focus. When using this with pictures there will be no central poster as the background will instead be filled with the focus photo.

I'm not too sure of this view yet but I think for photos it's a good idea to have a view that allows the main part of the screen to be reserved for the focus picture.

I'm also thinking of placing the image info in the bottom right hand corner (same style as the list and poster info views)
The fourth view idea isn't really workable at the moment (not without a LOT of redundant coding) but I thought I'd post it in case someone can come up with an efficient way of implementing it.

It's effectively a panel control with a row of posters but behind that row it shows the next and previous rows too (but only the focus row is navigable).

It should look something like the following (I plan to add title and some other details along the bottom of the screen, below all the posters)

At the moment it's a pain to show the prev and next rows (using ListItem(x).Thumb) as each time the focus position moves left or right the x values need to change. I don't think it can be done with a panel that shows more than 1 row as I don't want the focus to shift from the central row but if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to code this one I'd love to hear them.
I like em all skunk
Very nice indeed skunk
Thanks, the first 3 should be fairly easy to code but I'm going to hang off on the last one for a bit as I need to think of a nice way to code it (the method I'm currently considering for it is very inefficient so I'll hopefully come up with something better)
i was thinking something very similar to the last one as well and I think ran into the same issues as you. ideally a good control would be similar to fixedlist view, but with more than one column and panels. but since that doesn't exist, what you were doing is what i was thinking of doing with conditionals and redundant coding. it's even worse when you include animations.
The first one you posted is awesome Nod
manturafs Wrote:i was thinking something very similar to the last one as well and I think ran into the same issues as you. ideally a good control would be similar to fixedlist view, but with more than one column and panels. but since that doesn't exist, what you were doing is what i was thinking of doing with conditionals and redundant coding. it's even worse when you include animations.

Yep, there will be a whole lotta code for that view when I get round to it! Confused
Does conditional animation on container.row() work at all in a panel?

I can never remember which ones do and which don't.
It might do but I can't have more than 1 row in the panel as the user would then be able to move to other rows (I want the focus to stay in the centre row)
That's true, yeah, so I guess you have to go to the messy solution!
yeah, I thought that may be the case