Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ATV] Set as Default and other settings not saving between restarts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been a problem since I first started using XBMC, but it never bothered me a whole lot. Basically none of my changes to video or audio settings for movies stays after a restart. So everytime I startup XBMC I need to start a movie and tell it to use audio track 2 as the default since that's my AC3 pass-through feed.

I also have a few videos that the audio is a bit off from the video and they require a slight audio offset. These settings are never held between restarts either.

I assumed this was just a bug and would be fixed, but it continues to not work after several releases. Now it's starting to annoy me a bit as well. Any ideas? There's nothing fishy in the log files. Not even a mention of the changes.
They're saved (per video) in the database. I'd take a nosy in there (use any sqlite browser) and see what's in the settings table for those files (you can look 'em up based on idfile from the files table).

If there's nothing in there, then they aren't being saved, or your db is corrupt for some reason, or they're not being set on start etc.

If you play a movie, adjust one of the OSD settings, stop it, and start it again, the OSD settings should be preserved.

Cheers,
Jonathan
JMarshall, thanks for the response.

I took a gander at the tables and it looks like what's happening is when I restart XBMC and need to reset the defaults for videos to the second audio track it resets all of the file specific changes (which it says it'll do). So those DO appear to be saving, I just didn't notice since I'm constantly over writing them after restarting.

Doing a "Set as default for all movies" doesn't persist after restart, and doesn't put anything into the settings table. The table only has rows for idFile's which were independently changed.

I don't see any tables that contain the defaults... is this supposed to persist?
Yeah, set as defaults for all movies:

1. Kills all existing settings for movies.
2. Updates the defaults, which are stored in guisettings.xml.

You only want to do this if your defaults that you set really are what you want to use for every single movie.

The problem, therefore, appears to be that whatever settings you are "setting as default" aren't being selected at the start of video playback? Are they being saved in guisettings.xml? Take a hunt through for <audiodelay> for instance.

And just to be clear: If you make the change for one movie, stop it and restart it, the change holds, correct?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jonathan,

Thanks again. I did some more digging (although somewhat minimal since I'm not at home and can't change settings, only ssh in). I see the tag defaultvideosettings in guisettings but there is no entry for the audio track, which is the only default setting I want changed for every video. I encode with handbrake using 2 audio tracks, the first is an AAC track, the second is the AC3 or DTS pass-through track, which I want as the default. Here is all of it...

Code:
<defaultvideosettings>
        <interlacemethod>0</interlacemethod>
        <noisereduction>0.000000</noisereduction>
        <sharpness>0.000000</sharpness>
        <filmgrain>0.000000</filmgrain>
        <viewmode>0</viewmode>
        <zoomamount>1.000000</zoomamount>
        <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
        <volumeamplification>0.000000</volumeamplification>
        <outputtoallspeakers>false</outputtoallspeakers>
        <showsubtitles>false</showsubtitles>
        <brightness>50.000000</brightness>
        <contrast>50.000000</contrast>
        <gamma>20.000000</gamma>
        <audiodelay>0.000000</audiodelay>
        <subtitledelay>0.000000</subtitledelay>
    </defaultvideosettings>

You are correct, individual settings do persists between restarts of the movie or of XBMC, but I always nix them when I reset defaults to change the audiotrack to 2.

The audiotrack does stay at 2 during XBMC sessions. As long as I don't close and restart XBMC, the second track stays as the default for videos.

I can't currently test any other default than the audio track to see if they get stored in guisettings since I'm at work. I can try that tonight if it helps.

In the mean time, is there a tag I can throw into guisettings manually that will keep the track at 2 for now?

Thanks,
Dan
Confirmed - we don't appear to be saving or loading those settings from XML. Could you please post a ticket on trac along with the details given here so that we can ensure it doesn't get lost in the forum noise?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Thanks jmarshall,

Trac bug has been created. Here's a link to it for convenience: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6666

Dan
dan1son Wrote:Thanks jmarshall,

Trac bug has been created. Here's a link to it for convenience: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6666

Dan

Just found and read the bug as I was about to open a moan on this very subject. ie: for me specifically would be great if it could auto-select the 'best' audio track rather than just the first. Bug conversation gives a good summary of the complications but it all looked like it was going to happen.

Then nothing for two months. Is it still going to happen pretty-please? My XBMC setup is now *almost* perfect; there's just this and a bit of a messy mode change for refresh rate to fix now...

All of which is to say, basically, "Bump". :-) Doing the bump here rather than on the bug as I don't really have anything substantively new to add to *that*; plus it might catch new eyes too.

BTW is this in the wrong forum? It's in the Mac/AppleTV forum but I'm coming at this finding the exact problem on Linux; unsurprisingly as it doesn't look like something that would be different across platforms. Although of course there could be the danger of the *solution* being mac-specific which would be bad. :-)
1st thought about this is "auto-select the 'best' audio track", what's best for you might not be what's best for me or others. So now something would have to be added that defines best and that means GUI and we are hesitant about adding tons of options to the GUI as users tend to click anything a random without understanding the implication of what they have clicked.
Wow this is an oldie...

checkout http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5773 It's related. It looks like the decision was made to select the "best" according to how it's displayed on the skins with the little icons. So if that shows DTS (which it will if there is a AC3 or stereo track) the idea is the movie selects that stream automatically on startup.

It looks like someone needs to finish the fix though... Unless dteirney is back and he can finish it up real quick before release.
davilla Wrote:1st thought about this is "auto-select the 'best' audio track", what's best for you might not be what's best for me or others. So now something would have to be added that defines best and that means GUI and we are hesitant about adding tons of options to the GUI as users tend to click anything a random without understanding the implication of what they have clicked.

For my part it seems sensible to go in preference order DTS->AC3->AAC->others with appropriate language behaviour. Certainly that would solve my problem and my guess is it would be most appropriate for the largest number of people. This, for instance, seems to have been the way things were going in the trac bug conversation.

eg: if you encode with HandBrake (which, let's face it, is the way to do it) from DVD, BluRay or BBC HD transport streams, using the High Profile or the AppleTV presets you get:
  • audio track 1: mixdown to AAC Dolby Pro Logic II or Stereo if the source is.
  • audio track 2 (if available): the AC3 passthru.

This is the compromise the HB developers came up with so a file would play seamlessly under QuickTime on a Mac and pass through AC3 to an amp from the Mac (I *think* Perian may be needed) *and* from an AppleTV. But I bet they put the AAC track first to make it most transparent in use.

(This is leaving aside where you choose to output MKV to keep a DTS passthru track. In my case, as I'd never attempt to play these in QuickTime I don't bother with an AAC mixdown track, but some might, especially if they use Perian.)

Also eg: If you take an untranscoded BBC HD programme from EyeTV (and presumably from anything else - it's just how the mpeg2 transport stream comes off-air):
  • audio track 1: MP2 stereo audio-descriptive track
  • audio track 2: AC3 (which sometimes actually contains a surround soundtrack)

(Imagine how annoying *these* are in XBMC right now Smile )

At least around here these are the common case. Smile

These tracks may or may not be tagged 'en' for English. I've not paid excessive attention to that; if someone needs the language tagging in these conditions to be identified I'll do it.

In any case, it seems likely that in most cases DTS and AC3 are going to be passthru - that is, they haven't gone through another transcoding phase. So their lossless (from the original media) nature should at least promote *those* above AAC or MP1/2/3, which will generally be a transcode. Also they're the formats most likely to be supported in hdmi passthru by the AV amp, thus providing the purest path for the sound. (maybe availability of passthru should be a factor in the ranking of 'best'? I know this assumes the AV's decoders will be better than those in XBMC...)

There may be a remaining debate about whether to prefer DTS over AC3 should both be available in the file/stream being played with equivalent number of channels. So I suppose *that* could be an option. (But make it global, not in OSD.)

But IME it looks like on DVDs and blurays where both are present, with most it's often the case that DTS is used for the primary soundtrack and AC3 tracks tend to be other languages and commentaries and stuff. (Often those are stereo so the number of channels would be a factor in the choice of 'best'.) Sometimes there is a straight choice of the main audio track between AC3 and DTS where the above GUI option would matter, but these seem to be sufficiently rare that it would appear to me at least to be nitpicky to hold off on development for the sake of that. People who *really* think that AC3 is better than DTS when all else is equal would be happy to go to the effort to change a config file until the GUI choice is available. Big Grin

Oh, one extra wrinkle I can think of. If the user's specified that their actual surround system is 5.1 presumably it should prefer 5.1 tracks over 7.1 tracks? So: Prefer the speaker config the user actually has, *then* go by number of channels?

This is of course not even going into True HD and whatnot... Let's not go there yet. Smile

But just to finish with a question to answer whether *something* should be done: When would we prefer to play the available AAC track over the available passthru-able AC3 *or* DTS track? Because at the moment for me it's just *always* playing the AAC and I almost *always* have to go into OSD and change it, which when I have company is especially irritating. Smile
Looks like http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5773 has patches too.

I suggest starting there, then see what happens and what need improvement.
davilla Wrote:Looks like http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5773 has patches too.

I suggest starting there, then see what happens and what need improvement.

heh, my initial post was actually in response to reading that bug; i just didn't notice it wasn't the same one... :-)
Posting here since this is about the same topic and technically the same issue... what about subtitles? Could it somehow choose the optimal internal subtitle? With... say, the biggest size, as currently it keeps selecting the OP/ED one.