Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I access my xbmc from another pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, my first thread did not go to well but I learn quickly. I have installed my xbmc on ubuntu and the whole experience was like day and night. I had the install done within one hour if not mistaken even with the little exp. I have.

My problem is that when I access the xbmc from another computer in the network I can see say the picture file, I have access and see the tree but I only get the file name. No picture from the remote location. I don't have a choice of slide show or nothing like when I access the program in the linux box. I'm accessing the xbmc from a windows pc using http://ipaddress:port.

Can someone help me please or direct me to a tutorial. I have googled for the answer but can't get nothing clear or I'm still too new. Thank you.
What exactly are you trying to do? The webinterface is for controling xbmc on the box itself, not streaming media. You can use a daap and/or upnp client for this.
Thanks Haggy. What I want to do is not only to organize my media but I thought I would have acces to for example my pictures, and that I would be able to go a computer at a friends house type in my address and bingo, show my friends a slide show of my pictures. Or, have my movies backed up in xbmc box and be able to choose a movie and watch it on my tv. Mainly remote access to this media.

Thank you.
you may not have noticed but xbmc is a media center, not a server
still don't understand exactly what you want, but I think you may want to look at the following subjects:

UPnp sharing - http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/index.php?title=UPnP_Sharing

Samba - service to share media to other computers
well, as he has an open linux system underneath XBMC, he's invited to try his own solution. I'd suggest a DynDNS provider together with VNC Wink
Free NX is faster than VNC. You won't be able to watch movies at your friend's house, but pic slideshow and maybe even music playback should work.
Thank you all so much for the help. I'm a beginner with linux well, I have used CentOS before and this gives me a chance at other flavors. Spiff brought a good point"Not A Server" and that's what I'm looking for more or less however, mythmaster and hannes make a good point for a solution. I'm familiar with DynDNS but have to get familiar with vnc and free nx. I will give it a try and see if I can make it work.

Thank you all again I sincerely appreciate the help.
mythmaster Wrote:maybe even music playback should work.

OT: How can Free NX deliver audio? Is that a feature?
just as an added notice: the buffalo linkstations have a web-based (god awful) webserver including a proprietary buffalo dyndns system. but at least you have web access to your files on the NAS from anywhere. streaming of media on the other hand, expecially videos, needs a really good bandwidth, so most of these solutions are not that practical.
Haggy Wrote:OT: How can Free NX deliver audio? Is that a feature?

Yes, and video, too, if you have the bandwidth. It's also secure (ssh tunnel) unlike VNC.