Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] XBMC Setup script - Automatic installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Update: Post have been moved/re-made here due to some changes in text/layout on post.

To Moderator: You can close/delete this thread if you want.
Thank you,
However it doesn't work for me on my Asrock ION 330.

I create the mini ubuntu install and then run your script following your instructions.
After a long while the script says something about not finding a ' char on line 129 and also some kind of error. I have rebooted but I get to the login promt. I log in with the xbmc user and then type xbmc, but ubuntu says that it cannot connect to X server.

Have I done something wrong or is there an error in the script?

Thanks for your efforts once again.
Hi Joggs, and thanks for trying this out.

I made a change to the script (online) while you were trying it out.
Sorry for that, it's updated now and should work again.

As for you, you just need to enter this and it should work for you

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live python-apt -y

Good luck, and have a nice day
Thank you, I'll try it in a couple of minutes.
As I am a total newbie on linux, is it possible to insert comments for each section so that a dummy understands what happens and what the options are?

For example under the 'install nvidia grphics drivers, some of the first rows are commented out. An explanation what happens if you uncomment them would be interesting.

Also the lines:
echo xres=1024 >> /etc/usplash.conf and echo yres=768 >> /etc/usplash.conf . Does that have something to do about the maximum resolution my tv can hadle or just the splash? My earlier attempts installing xbmc, I couldn't set higher resolutions that 1280*1024. Any ideas on that?

Thanks again. A script for us linux newbies is just great!
I find this use ful myself. A nice collection of commands.
For total newbies..the problem is of course if something goes wrong it does not help if you have no idea what you executed.

Maybe a "Do you want to execute XXXX Yes/No" per section could be an idea? It will give you a chanse to evaluate the result of the last command before running the next.

Also, I do not think usplash-theme-xbmc is uncluded in the SVN?
(only in the XBMCubuntu PPA?)

and finally, don't you need the policy kit setting for reboot /shutdown?
@joggs

I will see what I can do with commenting the code - thanks for the input

To answer your question: The resolution it puts in the /etc/usplash.conf file is just for the boot splash and will not affect your display inside XBMC. I found these values to work best - and better to have "SafeMode" values (low resolution values) then to have set too high and run into some resolution problems.
vikjon0 Wrote:Maybe a "Do you want to execute XXXX Yes/No" per section could be an idea? It will give you a chanse to evaluate the result of the last command before running the next.

Yes, as you see it's on my "TO-DO" list. But I learned Linux for about 10 days ago and I am no programming guru. I am doing this from a "NEWB" perspective. Would be great with some example feedback in this post though.

vikjon0 Wrote:Also, I do not think usplash-theme-xbmc is uncluded in the SVN?
(only in the XBMCubuntu PPA?)
Have not thought of that, have to test. Anyways, it's just to uncomment the lines after an installation and do an apt-get update + apt-get upgrade + apt-get install xbmc and you have the latest SVN version.
The SVN repositories was actually ment to just be written to the xbmc source list for later usage.

vikjon0 Wrote:and finally, don't you need the policy kit setting for reboot /shutdown?

I thought so myself, but I have tested without and it works. That's why I have commented it out. I think it is installed with the XBMC-Live package at the end.
Ok, thanks for your comments.

Quote:Would be great with some example feedback in this post though.
I know coding, but I am also new to Linux. I will probably look into scripting soon and I will post it here as soon as I pick it up.

Quote: think it is installed with the XBMC-Live package
Makes sense. I do not use the live package.
vikjon0 Wrote:Makes sense. I do not use the live package.

Any reason for this? and what do you do on you install?

I am always interessted in what someone else does, to see if it's a better way to do things. Pro vs Cons is nice to know on different solutions.
Hi.
I tried the script again and now i got :

polkit-auth: AuthorizationAlreadyExists: An authorization for uid 1000 for the action org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown with constraint '' already exists
dpkg: error processing xbmc-live (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Terminated
For the moment I have a desktop installation and run xbmc in the xbmc session in GDM.

In the beginning it was because the minimal installation was too advances since I didnt know linux and I also needed the desktop GUI to configure wireless etc.

Now it is mostly because I need the desktop & GDM to run some stuff in the background using NX as a terminal server.

It would make more sense to run that stuff on a server in a different room. Problem is that I do not have good place to put a server for the moment. Thus the ION 330 has to double up...
joggs Wrote:Hi.
I tried the script again and now i got :

polkit-auth: AuthorizationAlreadyExists: An authorization for uid 1000 for the action org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown with constraint '' already exists
dpkg: error processing xbmc-live (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Terminated

Interessting. The same error I got when I first did the script and tested it at first.

Question: did you uncomment the SVN repositories or changed any code?
I am interessted in finding out what this could be.

Could you post your term.log and link it on pastebin?

Code:
sudo nano /var/log/apt/term.log

Meanwhile, can you check the following:

1) What happens when you try to start Xserver?

Code:
startx

3) Try to update initramfs and reboot:

Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u

Code:
sudo reboot

4) Try to purge XBMC and reinstall it:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge xbmc*

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Code:
sudo reboot

5. As a backup, I have made a "joggs-version" (my updated version) of the installer, you need to reinstall a clean ubuntu version first in case. I have implemented pauses between the different steps so you can see if everything is OK aswell:

Code:
sudo bash

Code:
wget http://www.virtualdanny.net/downloads/joggsXBMC.sh

Code:
chmod +x joggsXBMC.sh

Code:
./joggsXBMC.sh

Tell me how it goes...
I suspect the error you encountered the first time kind of messed it up.
I really want to get this script rock solid, so nice of someone to try it out.
could be wrong here, but i think that error is caused by creating an account called xbmc during the jaunty installation. Xbmc-live creates the xbmc account for you when you install it. In other words, when you install jaunty dont use xbmc as the username.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:could be wrong here, but i think that error is caused by creating an account called xbmc during the jaunty installation. Xbmc-live creates the xbmc account for you when you install it. In other words, when you install jaunty dont use xbmc as the username.
cheers

Don't think so. I have never installed XBMC Ubuntu without making the "xbmc" user account. XBMC-live should then just append the correct rights to the "xbmc" user account.
I got a working version with this script 4-5 times now. (I'm just stupid enough to edit it while others try it.. )
Hi,
I think I uncommented the power options lines but nothing more.
startX seems to start X as it should.
When performing the steps 3 and 4 no errors occur but when restarting I get to the login prompt. Should xbmc have been started automatically at this point? Can I start it by logging in with the xbmc user and performing some commands?

I'll try the joggs script later today, thank you very much for that by the way, but before I do a clean install, can I try to start xbmc manually?
Pages: 1 2 3