Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Remote for Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
QuiescentWonder Wrote:I don't have an Android device (but I want one!) and I haven't read through every post so forgive me if this has already been posted or added as a feature.

I noticed in a screenshot that it's asking for the IP address of the machine running XBMC, wouldn't it be convenient to work with host names instead? You could connect to "Happy Xbox" instead of "192.168.1.100". Then, as the IP may change if the machine is using DHCP, you wouldn't need to change the address.

This would be up to the android subsystem to handle, not sure if it is capable off autoconf hostnames, on linux one have to alter /etc/hosts.

Although it can perfectly handle names from name servers (DNS). so if you have DynDNS your computer as foo.bar.com this will work instead of the IP.

But if hostnames doesn't work then I'd say feature suggest it to google and hopefully they'll implement it.

Although Zeroconf is a feature we hope to have sometime in the future! Which would give similair results.
I'm sorry, my knowledge of networking isn't that great, so I'm not sure I understood your post entirely.

Here is my understanding of it: XBMC on Xbox doesn't have a hostname setting that I can find, I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the Xbox or XBMC itself, but Windows and Linux networking (I'm not sure about OS X), even when using DHCP there is still the ability to set a hostname on the machine. Any time the machine connects to the network, even if it's using DHCP, it can set it's own hostname and inform the router of that hostname. The local DNS server (on the router) will usually resolve the hostname to an IP for you.

For example, in Windows, the hostname is set to the computer name, so I can ping the hostname (computer name) from any machine on my network and the local DNS should resolve that hostname to the IP address that DHCP server has assigned. Unless Android can't resolve a name to IP address using a DNS server, I don't see the problem. Of course maybe my understanding of it isn't correct. Huh
Just checked and on my HTC Magic it works fine with computer names. As long as I am connected to my wireless lan since my router will correctly handle the dns lookup.
Wonderful! That should save everyone some time every once in a while. I'm looking forward to using this.
Just a thought Big Grin
Would consume less energy with black background and a honour to the good old xbox remote !!

Waffa Wrote:Just a thought Big Grin
Would consume less energy with black background and a honour to the good old xbox remote !!

[...]

While I don't like that basic look it would be awesome to have some sort of theming later.
Isn't black the most power consuming thing an LCD can display?

EDIT: Scratch that.

While black is the most difficult thing for an LCD screen to display, because it has to block all of the backlight, but there is no difference in the amount of power an LCD consumes regardless of the colors on the screen. The only thing that's going to affect the power consumption is the backlight brightness. Don't believe me? Read the links.

Link 1: "LCD power consumption is not affected by the color setting" http://www.green-energy-efficient-homes....ption.html
Link 2: "Completely insensitive. Consumes same power for all colors on screen." http://savingenergy.wordpress.com/2006/1...at-a-time/
Link 3: "pixel color has no effect on LCD power consumption" http://blogs.msdn.com/dthorpe/archive/20...-less.aspx
QuiescentWonder Wrote:Isn't black the most power consuming thing an LCD can display?

White is the most power consuming since all 3 colors for each pixel have to be fully powered for white. Black would either have all 3 colors off or at a very low voltage. That is probably why he chose green for some buttons since that would mean only the green color would need power (or more likely he chose green because of the XBox color but good choice anyway). From a power consumption perspective it is a great design.
I just like the old xbox remote, color green goes also with android, old meets newLaugh

The xbox theme....
Topfs2 Wrote:Also both me and freezy have discussed a UI redo soon so if anyone have any additions or pointers on the UI that would be most awesome, and if anyone could do graphics that would ofcourse be most awesome.
Sort of a bump, think I requested it earlier...
I would realy love to have the volume buttons user configurable and also as a even more complicated request to have the possibilty to add extra buttons. In my case I can control volume and monitor on/off over the network with http requests. There would probably be lots of other possiblities to control other software if this feature would be implemented.
Regards
Oscar
Keyboard also works so you can set buttons in keymap to control volume.

I would love to see volume control to, on screen, see post 140
I'm not entirely happy with the look of the remote either. Waffa, be aware that we don't have the whole height of the display at our disposal.

Volume you can already change using the.. wait for it.. volume buttons of the phone!
Couldn't you get rid of the 2 bars at the top ?
Takes a lot of space and imo not needed.
Xbmc remote from fali doesn't have those bars !!
Hmm, interesting thought, will take a look at it.
Hey, freezy very cool album view you created.

most album have a thumb only miss the ones with diverse artist.Confused
(All my albums have thumbs in xbmc userdata / files / ID3 tags.)

If select album without thumb see 2 buttons queue / play. Those doesn't work.
If select album with thumb see no buttons, this all means can't start a file in album view.
You problably working on it.Big Grin If so would love to see those options.

Topfs2, great that you add those buttons to the menu, works perfect.

One strange thing is that I can only backout to home screen by pressing multiple back button.
I would add a system button to the menu and use it for settings / exit / start up in / theme /.....
This way there's no need for the home screen any more.

And please guys look at the scrollball sensitivity, and the back button would love it as <back> button not as backout, Have a nice menu button for it Big Grin

another thing volume control with phone volume buttons works great !!!
Still hate those bars in top of the screen they spoil the appearance of all view.
Especially the album view.