Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Remote for Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
frenzy??

right. will be back when the video lib is done.
freezy Wrote:frenzy??

right. will be back when the video lib is done.

Laugh Sorry I didn't catch the two ee's
Hello, I got the most irritating 'effect' ever Smile
I dont know if its a problem of the remote software, my HTC Hero, or the skinn.

I thinks its a combination of the software and skinn problem. I'm using the transparancy skinn.
And it happens that my remote starts scrolling like hell. So scrolling to the list of available movies for example. I disconnected my remote but this has no effect. It keeps scrolling. I have to close it with task manager.

Any clues?
Q: If I don't have this app running, how can then XBMC still pop up notifies when I get calls and messages?

/Söder
Because it uses a hook defined in the Android Framework. Also the Phone app will appear if someone calls even if it's not running.
soder Wrote:Q: If I don't have this app running, how can then XBMC still pop up notifies when I get calls and messages?

/Söder

A: Android "opens the app" if you get a call or message and if you enabled it you'll get the notification.
freezy Wrote:Because it uses a hook defined in the Android Framework. Also the Phone app will appear if someone calls even if it's not running.

the_alien Wrote:A: Android "opens the app" if you get a call or message and if you enabled it you'll get the notification.

Cool.

/Söder
Hey guys I've noticed some problems and crashes relating to the now playing notification area and playing podcasts from RSS feeds and video plugins.

I've just reinstalled ubuntu so I don't have the android sdk setup right now to obtain logs but I should have later tonight.

If you want to reproduce the problem in the mean time add a source rss feed with some podcasts (here's an example rss://www.pokerroad.com/radio/rss/poker-road-radio)

And then try and play one of the podcasts with the notification option enabled. I've been accessing my podcasts from the file view I had noticed that podcast now playing information is incorrectly read by the now playing screen.

I have also been having problems with crashes when playing videos from video plugins such as the gametrailers plugin and the iPlayer plugin, when playing video crashes occur unless the notifications area option is disabled.

All going well with some other upgrades and installations I should have some logs which I'll add to a new issue on the tracker page tonight or tomorrow.
Just wanted to let you know this is also working on my Moto Droid (Android 2.0)... thanks for such a useful app!

I was wondering if you might consider an option to disable the "now playing"/media portion of the app, so that it might only be used as a remote control?
I just installed this on my Moto Droid A855 and gotta say, so far, i'm LOVING this Smile Super cool. Eventually, when i get into android dev, i'd be happy to lend a helping hand... but that'll be some time as i've never built an android app yet.

Many thanks to all the devs involved!
@seaweeduk: I didn't even know that you could define RSS feeds as source in XBMC. *shame* Can you open a ticket please?

@TheSovereign: I don't understand your request. You want to lose the home menu in favor of the remote control?

@drumst1x: Thanks and welcome Smile
freezy Wrote:@seaweeduk: I didn't even know that you could define RSS feeds as source in XBMC. *shame* Can you open a ticket please?

@TheSovereign: I don't understand your request. You want to lose the home menu in favor of the remote control?

@drumst1x: Thanks and welcome Smile

I didn't know about rss feeds until recently either, it's a feature I think should be more prominent I love using it for podcasts now. Had a few hold ups tonight unfortunately so didn't get a chance to get the SDK setup.

I'll create a ticket tomorrow hopefully, don't want to do it without the logs from the device first Smile
freezy Wrote:@TheSovereign: I don't understand your request. You want to lose the home menu in favor of the remote control?
Sorry, I probably should have explained how I'm using the remote app, hopefully my request will make more sense:

I only require the remote control portion of the app (up/down/left/right/menu/disp/back/etc.) to control XBMC directly on my media PC; I don't need to be able to browse and select media on the phone itself.

That being said, while I do have WiFi at home, I'd rather not have to perform the extra step of turning on Wifi on the Droid, and then remember to turn it off again, as XBMC remote would be the only thing I'd really use WiFi for. (Amazing what some of us are willing to do in order to save battery life, no? Or maybe it's just me. Wink)

So what I did to counter the extra steps and conserve battery life, was to enable port forwarding on my router, and am successfully controlling XBMC via 3G and from across the Internet. (And the controls work surprisingly well, and almost equally as quickly as when I was using it over WiFi!) Plus, this way I can mess with my gf when she's watching stuff and I'm not home. :p

The Event Server port forwarding works perfectly, but for whatever reason the Web Server port forwarding does not (I've tried TCP, UDP, TCP & UDP), and I just wind up getting Socket Timeout. It's not a major issue, just requires me to close out the error, and then I can continue to use the remote control portion without issue. Like I said, I don't use the media management portion (if it's ok to describe it that way), so I don't care if it works or not.

In the end it's a rather minor thing, but if there was a way to disable the Web interface portion/media management, then I wouldn't have to deal with that error message...

I hope that makes a bit more sense now.

And just out of curiosity, has anyone else considered using this app similarly to me, over the cellular network? (I probably need to read through the thread to find out the answer to this question, so I think I'll do that now... and apologize for not having done so already.)

Thanks for reading...
Hello, I got a 'major' problem with my remote. I have xbmc version 24195 and use htc hero. I use transparancy skinn. And I'm running on windows platform

The problem is, when I'm just browsing trough my movies/series (on my TFT screen, so I use my htc hero as a remote) it suddenly starts scrolling like hell and I cant stop it... Even if I quit the hero application it keeps on scrolling.

I dont know if its a bug in the remote software? the skinn? or xbmc?

The errorlog I get:

23:10:03 T:2300 M:288858112 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://skin/images/flags/movies/studio/Pick Two Productions.png
23:11:22 T:2776 M:305647616 NOTICE: ES: Client Android XBMC Remote from 192.168.2.4 timed out
23:11:37 T:2300 M:303132672 WARNING: DIRECTORY::CVideoDatabaseDirectory::GetLabel - Unknown nodetype requested 11
23:11:42 T:2300 M:303480832 WARNING: DIRECTORY::CVideoDatabaseDirectory::GetLabel - Unknown nodetype requested 12
23:11:50 T:2300 M:290365440 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:12:01 T:2752 M:303845376 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
23:12:05 T:2300 M:312815616 WARNING: DIRECTORY::CVideoDatabaseDirectory::GetLabel - Unknown nodetype requested 12
23:12:15 T:2300 M:304828416 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:07 T:2300 M:315121664 WARNING: DIRECTORY::CVideoDatabaseDirectory::GetLabel - Unknown nodetype requested 12
23:13:16 T:2776 M:310284288 NOTICE: ES: Client from 192.168.2.4 timed out
23:13:37 T:2300 M:310394880 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:40 T:2300 M:310546432 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:42 T:2300 M:310423552 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:43 T:2300 M:310456320 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:56 T:2300 M:310517760 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/
23:13:57 T:2300 M:310378496 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting 9/

I really hope you can do something with this. because its pritty annoying. I have to kill it with ctrl+alt+del

Thanks in advance
Trench Wrote:23:10:03 T:2300 M:288858112 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://skin/images/flags/movies/studio/Pick Two Productions.png
23:11:22 T:2776 M:305647616 NOTICE: ES: Client Android XBMC Remote from 192.168.2.4 timed out
I'm not going to pretend to know what's going on with your issue, but here are some steps which may help you troubleshoot the issue:

1.) Does it happen if you browse through the movies using an alternate control/input method (e.g. keyboard or other remote)?

2.) Does the same behavior occur if you change to a different skin?

3.) In Transparency, have you tried copying one of the other studio's .png files to "Pick Two Productions.png" to see if that resolves the issue?

If it still happens when trying steps 1 and 2, then I'd guess it's most likely not the Android Remote app. If step 3 takes care of it, then you know what the problem was.

Hope that's of some help and good luck!