Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Remote for Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've done a rough alpha version of a app for streaming movies, images and music off the phone to your xbmc. You can grab it here. You can browse you phone contents in a file browser view. Clicking on images/music/movies will send them to your xbmc (set-up under "menu"). It will start a webserver on you phone (port 8080) used by xbmc to access your files. If anyone likes it I will try to see if i can contribute to this fine app.

Note, there seems to be a bug the way xbmc handles url's with space...
Popeye Wrote:Hi, I've done a rough alpha version of a app for streaming movies, images and music off the phone to your xbmc. You can grab it here. You can browse you phone contents in a file browser view. Clicking on images/music/movies will send them to your xbmc (set-up under "menu"). It will start a webserver on you phone (port 8080) used by xbmc to access your files. If anyone likes it I will try to see if i can contribute to this fine app.
Nice, any chance / plan to open source it?

Popeye Wrote:Note, there seems to be a bug the way xbmc handles url's with space...

Be sure to url encode, exists in java as URL.Encode IIRC. space is %20.

Cheers,
Tobias
Hi!

Open source it? Absolutely, just got to clean things up...

URL.encode is used. The problem seems to be on the xbmc side.
Trying (in browser where 192.168.0.16:8080 is the phone)
Code:
http://192.168.0.19/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ShowPicture(http://192.168.0.16:8080/sdcard/dcim/Camera/2009-06-09%2018.40.04.jpg)

Returns "OK" from xbmc but when checking the logs it seems as if xbmc only tries:
Code:
GET '/sdcard/dcim/Camera/2009-06-09'
Popeye Wrote:Hi!

Open source it? Absolutely, just got to clean things up...

URL.encode is used. The problem seems to be on the xbmc side.
Trying (in browser where 192.168.0.16:8080 is the phone)
Code:
http://192.168.0.19/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ShowPicture(http://192.168.0.16:8080/sdcard/dcim/Camera/2009-06-09%2018.40.04.jpg)

Returns "OK" from xbmc but when checking the logs it seems as if xbmc only tries:
Code:
GET '/sdcard/dcim/Camera/2009-06-09'

Hmm, weird. the encoding do indeed looks perfectly correct. I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Cheers,
Tobias
Hy guys.

I'm using an Acer Liquid and the 2 latest releases have some probs with the "remote" function. It doesn't show correctly. I cant see the text of the buttons in the bottom.
Ye ye... u understand what I mean... =)

And I cant manage the remote to work... not the SMS and Phone Call on screen either.
Ok... now remote works... and that if I'm on the inside of the router. Outside doesn't work, even if I'm portforwarding 9777.
McGilljam Wrote:Ok... now remote works... and that if I'm on the inside of the router. Outside doesn't work, even if I'm portforwarding 9777.

Don't forget that you also need to forward TCP port 8080.

EDIT: I tested external access out this afternoon, actually. I'd had a conversation with some friends about media playing software, and wanted to show off XBMC remote over dinner ("hey, watch me frighten the life out of my cat!").

Need to forward TCP port 8080 and UDP port 9777. It's a lot slower than being on the same LAN, but works a treat.
I just updated to the final version of Camelot and now XBMC Remote v0.6.3 is not fully working where it was before. I can connect, browse the files, select one and it starts to play. However, none of the controls in the now playing window are working, the remote control also doesn't work at all.

This was all working before... Any idea why?
not that it should be supported anyway, but newest remote version seems to crash android 2.1 0.0.4 by Greek35T on the droid... just tried to install and after installing it keeps rebooting
gotoman00 Wrote:not that it should be supported anyway, but newest remote version seems to crash android 2.1 0.0.4 by Greek35T on the droid... just tried to install and after installing it keeps rebooting

Damn you, I wanted to try 2.1 but haven't seen it ported to my 32A Smile

Anyways, I think it should work since 2.0 does but hard to try without the SDK, it might be something Greek35T have done, or something have changed in dalvik. be sure to wipe.

Cheers,
Tobias
Hello, I would to try this app, but don't work for me :mad:

I can connect but nothing happened on xbmc (9.11 Camelot r26018)

I have a HTC magic v1.6 android

Julien

***Edit****

It's ok with old version 0.6.1
Good work, good app !!
topfs2 Wrote:Damn you, I wanted to try 2.1 but haven't seen it ported to my 32A Smile

Anyways, I think it should work since 2.0 does but hard to try without the SDK, it might be something Greek35T have done, or something have changed in dalvik. be sure to wipe.

Cheers,
Tobias

well actually it rebooted right after installing the remote, then rebooted again when pulling up the app slider trying to get to it.... but since then i've been able to open the remote without crashing.... however i'm out of town so i haven't set it up to play with it and test all functionality... can't wait though i see u added the multiple xbmc setups, looks cool Cool

i'll be back on wednesday and will be updating xbmc on my linux and windows pc to newest version, so i will try everything out and let you know how it all works.... 2.1 is pretty damn cool, little buggy but overall usable... i added the live wallpapers those are pretty sweet
stibbons Wrote:Don't forget that you also need to forward TCP port 8080.

EDIT: I tested external access out this afternoon, actually. I'd had a conversation with some friends about media playing software, and wanted to show off XBMC remote over dinner ("hey, watch me frighten the life out of my cat!").

Need to forward TCP port 8080 and UDP port 9777. It's a lot slower than being on the same LAN, but works a treat.
How funny, I had a similar experience last night. Out of town and having dinner with my cousin, I'm showing off the app and convincing him to install XBMC when I see under "Now Playing" that my wife and daughter are a few minutes into a Spongebob movie. Freaked her right out when I called later and asked how the movie was Smile
Added: New setting where you can prevent your phone lock the screen. You can apply it either for remote control only or all screens (or disable it completely)

^^^

If the above is supposed to keep my phone active whilst app is open... then just a heads up, the htc hero fails to work with this function Smile
C-Quel Wrote:Added: New setting where you can prevent your phone lock the screen. You can apply it either for remote control only or all screens (or disable it completely)

^^^

If the above is supposed to keep my phone active whilst app is open... then just a heads up, the htc hero fails to work with this function Smile

Are you sure? It's working for me... Maybe you are confusing the key guard with the screen timeout? That feature only prevents the key guard (where you need to slide the screen to unlock the phone) to show up, it doesn't prevent the screen to turn off. The screen turns off but you just press the END CALL or MENU keys and there's no need to unlock the phone (which is a pain really when using this app, great feature by the way).

Maybe you need something to prevent the screen form turning off too? Just making an assumption here, sorry if it's not really working and you know what the feature was supposed to do.

Nazgulled Wrote:I just updated to the final version of Camelot and now XBMC Remote v0.6.3 is not fully working where it was before. I can connect, browse the files, select one and it starts to play. However, none of the controls in the now playing window are working, the remote control also doesn't work at all.

This was all working before... Any idea why?

Anyone? Is it working for other people on Camelot + XBMC Remote 0.6.3?
Nazgulled Wrote:Anyone? Is it working for other people on Camelot + XBMC Remote 0.6.3?
Yes, its working. You have to make sure, that:
- webserver and event-server is running
- xbmc allows remote-controll. It is prohibited per default.