Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Extract thumbnails and video information - both or none?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I notice in the settings rationalization that "Extract thumbnails and video information " are now bundled together.

Speaking from personal opinion this to me is a bad idea. Video information is exact and random thumbnails are not. I can see the logic why they were bundled but I really don't think the two should be.

Obviously some people will disagree with me but I cannot see an advanced settings to remedy this situation.

Update:

Edited extract from IRC discussion (spelling fixed Smile:

<xe`> Jezz_X, if you can be arsed or get a moment can you raise my opinion in a dev meeting about auto thumbanil and tagging being grouped. Post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=441390
<xe`> I really think these two settings should not be grouped
<Jezz_X> xe I have made many complaints about it myself but no one cares
<Katana`> (what is the issue you're discussing ?)
<xe`> Jezz_X, i done an update library and it fileld my handcrafted lib full of shit thumbnails Sad Cant see how to turn the damn thing off now without losing tagging = bad Sad
<xe`> Katana`, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=441390
<Jezz_X> indeed
<xe`> can we start a petition Smile
<Jezz_X> I also hate auto random thumbs I would rather see the default icon
<Jezz_X> and it makes it harder to tell if it actually managed to scrape one
<xe`> yeah me to hence why i always had it off
<xe`> agreed
<Jezz_X> because I usually make one and upload it if non exists
<xe`> also agreed me to
<Katana`> I kind of agree with you here xe`
<xe`> i suspect alot of tvdb content is driven by this actually
<Katana`> both are completely unrelated
<Jezz_X> indeed
<xe`> yeah well said
<Jezz_X> feel free to copy past this log into it Smile
<xe`> doing it now
agree, bad idea !
why? i cannot see a single reason why you would prefer no thumb to autothumbs. sorry.
Movies, they stick out like a sore thumb... but for any other content I want them.
no way you're getting that granularity.

i added an advanced setting to shut you guys up in r24784.
Code:
<myvideos>
  <extractthumb>false</extractthumb>
</myvideos>
spiff Wrote:no way you're getting that granularity.

Code:
<myvideos>
</myvideos>

Cheeeeers! Thanks! Cool
spiff Wrote:why? i cannot see a single reason why you would prefer no thumb to autothumbs. sorry.

Cause they invariably suck. As least 3 of the last 100 added are pure white or black screens. Also theres a reason why tvdb ban autothumbs.

Anyways its personal taste.

spiff Wrote:no way you're getting that granularity.

Code:
<myvideos>
</myvideos>

Good solution thanks
I added this to the wiki btw. though I would of preferred a seperate button Smile
Just to confirm.

This setting no longer seems to be documented in the wiki but appears to operate identically as before.

Has it been deprecated and if so how is it working?
It is still there, code is here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...er.cpp#L95

Feel free to add it to the wiki in a relevant location.
I tried and it seems my account was dropped during one of the cleanups again. Can someone just add this so i dont have to jump through hoops for a few lines.

2.4.6 extractthumb

Control if thumbnails are extracted from video files. Useful to ensure only thumbnails originating from the internet scraper site defined for the source are used. If "extract thumbnails and video information" is set via the GUI then "video information" is unaffected by this.

<myvideos>
</myvideos>
It has been removed from the wiki again. Something about it being a guisettings flag but its still not listed in the wiki so its back to "magical mystery" status where I suspect it will stay.