Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] HOW-TO create a bootable XBMC Live 9.11 USB disk (on Windows and Linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The easiest way to create bootable USB disks out of the new XBMCLive (Beta1) CD image is to use unetbootin, available for Windows and Linux:

Start unetbootin, select disk image and choose the ISO file.

A second step is required if you want to have the changes to be persistent: creation of a permanent storage file.

Using Windows:
The neat utility TopoResize can be used to create the "permanent storage file".
Grab the tool and create an ext3-formatted file called "live-rw" (no quotes), and place it in the root of the flash disk.

Using Linux:
boot the flash disk in safe mode, logon at console prompt and type

Code:
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/live-rw bs=1M count=600
mkfs.ext3 -F /mnt/live-rw

(replace 600 with your preferred size in MB).

After a reboot you will have a complete XBMC Live bootable disk.

NEW: the changes to the system configuration are being written on the permanent storage file in real time, hence a small amount of flash disk writes occur. If you want to minimize the disk writes there is a new feature that can be utilized: snapshots.
Snapshot files are handled by XBMC Live during startup and shutdown/reboot, no writes to flash disks are performed during runtime.
This means that boot time and shutdown/reboot will take slightly longer due to the changes to be retrieved and saved. However if you don't install/modify/update too many system files the amount of time needed for the snapshots handling is barely noticeable.

Creation of a snapshot file is as easy as creating an empty file called live-sn.cpio.gz in the root of the flash disk. The file will grow according to the amount of files added/changed during runtime.

UPDATE: grub4dos can be used to create a bootable usb disk!
1. Format the flash disk as FAT32 DOS bootable disk
2. Use grubinst to install grub4dos in the MBR
3. Copy all the files from the CD to the flash disk
4. Copy the file /boot/grub/menu.lst from the cd to the root directory of the flash disk.

UPDATE: see post #9 for installing from an USB disk
Works great for booting from, but I cant seem to use the installer , it demands a cdrom from me.
installation has to be performed from CD.

UPDATE: see post #9
l.capriotti, I used to work with the previous versions of XBMC live. What will happen when I boot XBMC Live from an USB, choose to format my harddrive and install XBMC. Will it copy the settings or files from live-rw image?

I would like to use the XBMC Live version as an USB installer. What do I need to do in order to add more files to the system while installing or after the installation?
erhnam Wrote:What will happen when I boot XBMC Live from an USB, choose to format my harddrive and install XBMC. Will it copy the settings or files from live-rw image?
it won't, as in previous versions. Besides, the installer now runs only from the CD.
UPDATE: see post #9

erhnam Wrote:I would like to use the XBMC Live version as an USB installer. What do I need to do in order to add more files to the system while installing or after the installation?

you would have to customize the installer that was used for the previous versions of XBMCLive.
l.capriotti Wrote:it won't, as in previous versions. Besides, the installer now runs only from the CD.

you would have to customize the installer that was used for the previous versions of XBMCLive.

Ok thanks. And is it possible to put the iso on an usb-drive with unetbootin, make some changes with the live-rw option and put it back on a cd-drive to use it as a bootable live-cd?

I'm questioning because I want equip a lot of machines (with cd-drives) with xbmc-live versions.

I also tried to build my own xbmc live 9.04 version but the guide is a little bit outdated. So I wonder if you have plans to update the wiki to outline how to create your own live version version.
erhnam Wrote:Ok thanks. And is it possible to put the iso on an usb-drive with unetbootin, make some changes with the live-rw option and put it back on a cd-drive to use it as a bootable live-cd?
sure, you will have to play a little bit with the content of the live-rw image and with d-i late preseeding.

erhnam Wrote:I also tried to build my own xbmc live 9.04 version but the guide is a little bit outdated. So I wonder if you have plans to update the wiki to outline how to create your own live version version.
I will commit all needed files and instructions when the 9.11 stable will be released.
I don't have a CD drive I can use with my HTPC , this kinda sucks seeing as the old installer did the job fine.
a last minute breakthrough! add the following to the installer kernel cmdline:

Code:
cdrom-detect/try-usb=true

and let me know how it goes
Luigi,

Intel Safe mode doesn't work, file not found (error 15). You might want to have a look at that.
l.capriotti Wrote:a last minute breakthrough! add the following to the installer kernel cmdline:

Code:

Sorry but where do i need to add this is it to a file on the pen drive?
l.capriotti Wrote:a last minute breakthrough! add the following to the installer kernel cmdline:

Code:

worked for me. thanks
Eldandoerino Wrote:Sorry but where do i need to add this is it to a file on the pen drive?

Select "Install to hardrive" from the boot menu. Push "Tab" instead of "Enter". Write "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--" and hit "Enter"
M@rtijn Wrote:Select "Install to hardrive" from the boot menu. Push "Tab" instead of "Enter". Write "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--" and hit "Enter"

Ah cheers for that Big Grin
if the bootable-usb made by unetbootin

edit the syslinux.cfg on the root folder.

find the "label ubnentry6"
edit the last line, add "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before "--"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5