Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Font Licensing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reported by a non XBMC member via IRC. I have no further information and I have no clue if it is valid or not.

Edited to remove channel noise:

Quote:<Dibblah> Hi, all. Is anyone from "team blackbolt" here?
<Dibblah> If so, are you aware that you may be shipping a font which does not have an "open" copyright?
<xe``> Dibblah, email them for sure
<xe``> or at a minimum post in the forums
<Dibblah> Sorry - I'm a Myth guy, so don't care that much - But one of our themers took a look at theirs Smile
<xe``> if you can give me specifics i will post in the forums for you
<Dibblah> Gimme a few minutes, getting the details. Thanks!
<xe``> no problems at all
<Dibblah> http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=431783
<Dibblah> "WARNING: This product is to be purchased only by authorized INTEL vendors and partners"
<xe``> which skin is this
<Dibblah> justinh says Ellipsis.
<xe``> Dibblah, ok i will make the report thanks for the info
<Dibblah> "shocked to see a) a different name come up in the font preview and b) the copyright/license info"
xexe Wrote:Reported by a non XBMC member via IRC. I have no further information and I have no clue if it is valid or not.

Edited to remove channel noise:

Wasn't aware of any licensing issue at all, but if its something thats not kosher, we'll happily change the font.

I'll look into this today for sure and make sure we're not breaking any rules, if we are, I'll rectify immediately.

Thanks for the heads up.
Looks like the font we changed to for Beta 1.1, as we where using another font previously was actually the wrong version of the neo font, looking inside the font file you can see the font is licensed only by intel. So yes we already changed this font to a very similar font before even realising there was an issue, but this one has even more unicode characters available within it.

I will still look to make sure that we're not stepping on anyone's toes by using this neo font. But we're deffiniatly not using the intel licensed font anymore.
Great news Smile
Aeon and Alaska use "Scout" which is a proprietary font too.
theophile Wrote:Aeon and Alaska use "Scout" which is a proprietary font too.

yes but you must download it separately, not included with the skin, as terms allows it
ppic Wrote:yes but you must download it separately, not included with the skin, as terms allows it

Not with Alaska. And it's still illegal to download them separately without paying for them. The reason fonts are separate in Aeon is because github ToS disallows the distribution of unlicensed proprietary things like paid fonts, not because separating them somehow cured the copyright problem. Technically, I believe Alaska is in violation of the github ToS for this reason.
what i know from aeon font is that it's not allowed to distribute it, but it's free to use.
not same as elipsis font in my mind.

don't know for alaska font.
ppic Wrote:what i know from aeon font is that it's not allowed to distribute it, but it's free to use.
not same as elipsis font in my mind.

don't know for alaska font.
Alaska and Aeon both use Scout, which is a copyrighted font under a proprietary license. It is not free as in speech or beer. The only difference between Scout and Neo Sans Intel is who the copyright proprietor will sell a license to.
We've made the decision, best to be safer than sorry, so we'll change the font to a completely 100% free to use unicode font. There's a few out there and we're going to use the best one available for our next release.

I really appreciate the issue your friend in IRC highlighted before it was too late! Now we can solve it.
theophile Wrote:Aeon and Alaska use "Scout" which is a proprietary font too.

Not really relevant in the Ellipsis forum
JackieBrown Wrote:Not really relevant in the Ellipsis forum

I agree, mods, can we lock this thread now the matter is resolved.

Thank you.
BB: you are a moderator of this sub forum Wink
blittan Wrote:BB: you are a moderator of this sub forum Wink

Whoops lol, I've got the flu, not on my A-Game at the moment! Tongue