Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Setting up wireless internet on XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As the title suggests, I need help setting up wireless on my desktop with XBMCLive installed.

The main issue is all the fields are grayed out and I cannot modify any of them. I'm the only account on this machine so I assume I have admin privileges. I have a Trendnet Wireless PCI NIC installed and it works on my other desktops. XBMC is installed on an internal harddrive if that helps. I'm fairly new to XBMC, but not to computers, so I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not using this to stream videos, they are all local on the machine, I'm just trying to get RSS feeds/weather.

I'm sorry if this issue has been answered before, I searched the site but couldn't find anyone with this exact issue.

Another pretty big issue is the lack of audio. I'm connected through S-Video and I have a 1/8" mini-audio jack to two stereo jacks for the receiver.

Any help on these issues would be huge, thanks a bunch!

e:
Also, is it possible to use multiple harddrives with XBMC? I have two internal drives but it's only detecting one of them.
Great, thanks a bunch!
Ctrl+F1 however is not loading the login screen.
All of your problems sound like they are linux issues, not XBMC issues, but we need some more information first.

First, what do your audio settings within XBMC say? They should be somewhere like 'Settings > System > Audio Output.' If you have multiple options there, play around with them and see if any work. If not, post the output of:
Code:
lspci

Second, some wireless cards just aren't supported under linux. Figure out your model number and see if it's on a compatibility list or google something like "[model] linux driver."

And as far as the hard drives, please post the results of this command:
Code:
dmesg | grep sd
and this command:
Code:
mount | grep /dev/sd
*I'm assuming you don't have IDE drives. If you do have IDE drives, replace 'sd' with 'hd'.

I'd recommend connecting it to the network via cable if possible and then ssh-ing into the box, because then you can just copy/paste everything instead of writing it all out.
Sorry CTRL-ALT-F1
Running into quite a few roadblocks here.
1 @ Stinkupuss: in your guide you linked me to "sudo iwconfig wlan0" isn't a command. (At least it says it's not.)

2 @ that_guy: "lscpi" isn't a command for me either.

3 @ that_guy: My wireless PCI card is in the list, what do I do now? Rather, how do I load the driver for it if I lack internet on said PC?

4 @ that_guy: I have IDE drives but I could only get something to show up when I used sd for both. The first command gave me this huge mass of text, not sure how to c/p it from the log file or view the entire thing. The second command said something about /home/sda3 and try ext3. I'll grab the exact output in a second.
I'm connected through a hardline now and I installed 9.11. Still no internet or audio. Can't see the other hard drive either.
Alright, I ran those commands you told me to run That_guy, here's what I got:

lspci:
Code:
00:00:0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehana) Chipset Host Bridge (MCH) (rev 04)
00:01:0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82850 850 (Tehana) AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1e:0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f:0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 04)
00:1f:1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE V100 Controller (rev 04)
00:1f:2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f:3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 04)
00:1f:4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 04)
01:00:0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 (GeForce 6600GT) (rev a2)
02:04:0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
02:04:1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
02:04:2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
02:08:0 Ethernet Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
02:0a.0 SCSI Storage Controller: adapter AHA-2940U2/U2W
02:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
02:0d.0 Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.1a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)

I noticed it detected my soundcard that's onbard, but I'm using an PCI sound card. (Sound Blaster Audigy SE) I've tried both onboard and this one, neither seem to work in XBMC. I did boot into Ubuntu with a Live CD I had and both audio and internet worked, so I'm not sure which is at fault here.

As for detecting the other hard drive that's for another time, the main concern is lack of audio and internet. I hope what I provided is adequate for the next step! Smile

Thanks for helping so far guides, I hope this can get fixed soon!
tomclancey Wrote:@ Stinkupuss: in your guide you linked me to "sudo iwconfig wlan0" isn't a command. (At least it says it's not.)

Strange. I was going to say you probably don't have sudo installed but you didn't report problems with the commands before that one. My only guess is you didn't type it correctly?

Try login as root:

Code:
sudo su - root

...with password of xbmc.

Now retry the steps ommitting the "sudo" from each command.

P.S My guide is for configuring wireless on an ion based machine. You say you are wired now? It may not work for you if your lan card doesn't have the correct drivers installed.

You should only need this in your /etc/network/interfaces to setup a wired connection.

Code:
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Now restart your network interfaces (as root):

Code:
/etc/init.d/networking restart

Try pinging your router substituting you gateway ip:

Code:
ping 192.168.1.254 -c 4

Try pinging google:

Code:
ping www.google.com -c 4
I googled and already edited the interfaces file and restarted, no luck. Kept saying this:

Code:
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 prt 67 Interval x
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.                  
                                                                        [OK]

Pinging my gateway gets me "connect: Network is unreachable".
Google gives me "ping: unknown host www.google.com"

I used Google's IP address and it gave me the network is unreachable again.
You router isn't offering an ip on request. Sounds to me like your router doesn't have DHCP server enabled. Do you know if is?

You can assign a static address. Change /etc/network/interfaces like so with your correct gateway.

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameservers 192.168.1.254
netmask 255.255.255.0

Restart network:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

First step is getting a ping response from your gateway.
I've done all that but when I restart it gives me an error saying the address is unknown.

Code:
/etc/network/interfaces:10 unknown address type
ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
/etc/network/interfaces:10 unknown address type
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
                                                [FAIL]
Sounds to me like you have editet the file outside linux enviroment. Seems
like you have a typo in there.

Make sure you edit those files from the linux terminal with something like
nano. Command is:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

I hade to enable wins/netbios on my wireless router to get a dhcp adress offering btw.
The-Boxhead, I've already edited the interfaces file. The error I posted is what I get from restarting the network.
yeah thats what im trying to say:
couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces

Your interfaces file is not readable Wink
Pages: 1 2