Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Blu-ray ISO to MKV software? and more...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. What is the best software for Blu-ray ISO to MKV?

2. How do i compress my blu-ray movie at least half a size while video and audio keeping the best quality?

3. Some movie contains different audio output, such as DTS, etc. Which one is the best?

THank you thank you Smile
I been ripping all my blu-ray movies to iso for playing in PowerDVD 9 Media Center. I would like to switch platform to XBMC. Is there any software to schedule all my ripped iso's to convert mkv automatically, not clicking one by one?
I use AnyDVD HD to extract the .m2ts of the main title, then use Handbrake to compress to 720p and around 4.3 GB. If there's a DTS track, I keep that, otherwise AC3. I don't have a great TV (720p 26") but doing it this way, I see no loss of quality. If you have a giant TV it would be a different story, but this is the method that works for me.
am i able to keep subtitle in the mkv and play normally in XMBC?
My TV is a 50' LG Plamas
vkylau Wrote:am i able to keep subtitle in the mkv and play normally in XBMC?
My TV is a 50' LG Plamas

I don't keep subtitles so I can't give specific info, but I think you can. When using AnyDVD HD you can select subtitle tracks to include in the .m2ts and I believe Handbrake is capable of retaining embedded subtitles. The only thing I'm not positive on is whether Handbrake can read subtitle tracks from .m2ts. It's worth a shot.
So, what would be the best solution to convert blu-ray iso to mkv with subtitle?
What is the best setting for video and audio output?
Is there software i can schedule a list of conversion of my 40+ blu-ray iso collection to mkv automatically?

I am a newbie. please advice.
I use Make Mkv to put my blu rays into mkv which is real easy to use (not sure if it does iso also) and then use handbrake to encode to a much smaller file without hardly any loss in quality )
+1 for MakeMKV - it does a really good job. It doesn't do any compression though so if you need to save space you'll have to use another program for that. As moviebuff said, Handbrake is good.
I see alot of people using RipBot.
moviebuff Wrote:I use Make Mkv to put my blu rays into mkv which is real easy to use (not sure if it does iso also) and then use handbrake to encode to a much smaller file without hardly any loss in quality )
Yup, make Mkv does iso as well Big Grin
Have you tried Clown_BD? It's a slick little program.
Another +1 for MakeMKV. It's lightweight, and very well supported. It's still beta software, and will be paid once it comes out of beta, so we'll have to see where it goes from there.
Anyone know of the minimum hardware for makemkvcon (not the gui version)? I have considered using an old Pentium 4 box strictly for makemkvcon and dvdbackup.
I'd guess it has very minimal hardware requirements, since it's basically just a decrypt-and-copy solution. It doesn't do any transcoding or CPU-intensive stuff. So long as you have the HDD space, you're good to go IMO. :-)
Quote:System Requirements

* Windows Vista/XP/Win7 or Intel-based Mac OS X 1.4 and above
* 512 MB of RAM, 1 GB recommended. MakeMKV will run on computers with low memory amount but conversion speed will be very slow.
* 10 MB of hard drive space for program files.
* Adequate hard drive space for converted content. Typical DVD movie takes 6 GB on hard drive. Typical Blu-ray movie takes 20 GB.

From http://www.makemkv.com/download/
Pages: 1 2