Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is it possible to turn on my Revo remotley?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A friend of mine asked me if it was possible, as far as I know it isn't. I have a Acer 3610 with XBMC live installed.
DO you mean via remote or from another PC?
I can turn on my Revo remotely via WOL and via remote with a USB IR receiver.
mobious Wrote:A friend of mine asked me if it was possible, as far as I know it isn't. I have a Acer 3610 with XBMC live installed.

Yes
You can't boot it, only recover it from standby yea?
Oh my god I am so sorry guys I completely forgot about this topic. Thank you so much for your replies. What Gabbott said, how is it possible? like turn it on from cold? or if its set to sleep? If its from cold could someone elaborate on what I should get please?
mobious Wrote:Oh my god I am so sorry guys I completely forgot about this topic. Thank you so much for your replies. What Gabbott said, how is it possible? like turn it on from cold? or if its set to sleep? If its from cold could someone elaborate on what I should get please?

To clarify, from the remote I can only wake it from sleep, not from a completely powered off state, but I have mine set to just do sleep since it is fully functional from waking from sleep in only a few seconds as opposed to a cold boot. For wake on lan, that should be possible when the system is powered down completely.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ena...-On-Device

For wake on lan, you have to enable it in the BIOS and configure it in linux:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234588
mobious Wrote:A friend of mine asked me if it was possible, as far as I know it isn't. I have a Acer 3610 with XBMC live installed.

Definitely possible using Wake-On-Lan, assuming the Acer 3610 is using wired ethernet and it's turned off.

I use the free Wake On Lan Ex 2. Great piece of software for WOL.

You just need to know your Acer's MAC address. It's even possible to wake devices over the internet if you have the correct port(s) forwarded on your router.
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I assumed the IR remote woulnd't turn it on unless it was on sleep. So WOL, my question is, is the only possible way to do that through my PC? as if I have to turn on my pc to turn on my revo, I might aswell just turn on the revo amirite?

There are a few WOL apps for the iPhone, was wondering if anyone here tried em out?
mobious Wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I assumed the IR remote woulnd't turn it on unless it was on sleep. So WOL, my question is, is the only possible way to do that through my PC? as if I have to turn on my pc to turn on my revo, I might aswell just turn on the revo amirite?

There are a few WOL apps for the iPhone, was wondering if anyone here tried em out?

The WOL apps should work fine. I use one for my android phone and can wake my boxes.
Thanks for the info man, can't wait to try it out.
can someone possibly help me as I cannot get WOL to work.

Went into BIOS under power management and enabled WOL

I have used this guide to set up. HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL

my ipconfig is

Quote:xbmc@xbmc-desktop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:fb:a6:2c:b2:1f
inet addr:192.168.1.11 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::92fb:a6ff:fe2c:b21f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3432 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3621 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1096890 (1.0 MB) TX bytes:762787 (762.7 KB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:512 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:512 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:33814 (33.8 KB) TX bytes:33814 (33.8 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:4c:e5:4e:0d:cb
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 90-4C-E5-4E-0D-CB-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP RUNNING MTU:0 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I put the script as
Code:
#!/bin/bash
ethtool -s eth0 wol g
exit

I got to the last set where it says enter in the terminal
Code:
/etc/init.d/wakeonlanconfig

and it does not show an error

Tried to suspend the system and then use WAKEONLANEx2 from a windows xp pc to wake it up (same network) and nothing happens.

Whats weird is that it will not take my MAC address (HWaddr 90:fb:a6:2c:b2:1f ) for eth0 as it says its invalid. It will however take the MAC Address wmaster0 address 90-4C-E5-4E-0D-CB and it shows that it sends out a packet however it does not wake up my htpc.

I tried to change the script from

Code:
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

to

Code:
ethtool -s wmaster0 wol g

and it gives me an error message saying

Quote:root@xbmc-desktop:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/wakeonlanconfig
Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
not setting wol

I then tried to follow this guide HOW-TO set up Wake-On-Lan (Ubuntu) and followed those steps also still nothing. I deleted this script however as it did nothing and didnt want to have two scripts that might be interfering with each other.

How can I check that the magic packs are being received by the computer? I think it has something to do with the MAC address but Im a linux noob and gettng kinda lost now, ANY help would be much appreciated.

I also have a another linux computer hooked up on the network to test however I want to WOL via the internet incase I am traveling and need to wake up my htpc.

Can anyone please help me as I think I have the scrips installed and Im just not doing something simple like configuring the magic packs correctly to send the information.
Any help?
I'm a little baffled by your post. As far as I know WOL is purely a hardware system and you shouldn't need any fiddling with the OS. You just enable it in the BIOS, and the only other thing you need is the target MAC address. Assuming you're connected through the ethernet cable (not the wireless) the MAC address you need is 90:fb:a6:2c:b2:1f.

To test it try using wolcmd (http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx) because I use this and I know it works. Shut down the Revo and check the light is still lit on the ethernet port, then go to the Windows PC and use:

wolcmd 90:fb:a6:2c:b2:1f 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255

and the Revo should turn on.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I'm a little baffled by your post. As far as I know WOL is purely a hardware system and you shouldn't need any fiddling with the OS. You just enable it in the BIOS, and the only other thing you need is the target MAC address. Assuming you're connected through the ethernet cable (not the wireless) the MAC address you need is 90:fb:a6:2c:b2:1f.

True you have to enable it in the BIOS, but you also have to configure the Ethernet interface within linux to support it, otherwise it doesn't work.
Pages: 1 2 3