Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ubuntu/linux - XBMC to TV; virtual monitor for VNC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this I realize is perhaps not a XBMC question as XBMC is behaving exactly as expected but maybe someone has done something similar to this and can help me.

I have a HTPC setup with Ubuntu 10.04 connected to my TV. It's setup to launch XBMC automatically on startup but I also have nzbget and transmission setup -- life is peachy! But I do have to do some things occassionally that require me to remote in via VNC but because XBMC is running in fullscreen I have to exit it before I can interact with the desktop.

So my actual question: can I setup a "virtual" monitor that I can VNC into (and interact with the ubuntu desktop) while XBMC is running and displaying out to the TV?
With this solution you will be able to start a VNC server manually (when you SSH to your XBMC) in a independent X screen.
I can't give you step-by-step instructions (did this a while ago) but the general idea is as follows:
- install a VNC server (tightvncserver works for me).
- at the end the install process should ask you for a password
- edit(or create) the xstartup file located in ~/.vnc
- mine looks like this (I use XFCE)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
/etc/X11/Xsession
xfwm4 --display :1.0 &
xfce4-panel --display :1.0 &
xfdesktop --display :1.0 &
#exec /usr/bin/xfce4-s
When you're done with the above start tightvncserver. it should report something like "New 'X' desktop is xbmc:1". From your PC use a VNC client and connect to <XBMC_IP>:1 (the :1 is important).

Hope this helps.
I never managed to get vnc to automaticallu create multiple sessions. Instead I use nxserver that works out of the box. Not that it matters much but it is also safer than vnc.