Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Production hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

Been a long time user of XBMC and have used many other types of frontend; Mediaportal, WMC etc.

As most know Boxee is producing its own hardware and I think XBMC should be given its own also. I would not say its competing against Boxee as they are both for slightly different markets; Boxee is going for the more "social" aspect while XBMC still caters more for the film/music/customisation end. I know Boxee can do that also but hopefully you get what I mean!

I thought about this a few years ago but didn't have the capital to start it out but now I'm in a different situation.

So anyone with any ideas in the production/manufacture side please PM me so we start to look into something.

Thanks
Be careful trying to make money off of something based on FFMPeg (which XBMC is based)- eventually MPEG LA will come looking for its cut!!
There is already plenty of hardware for XBMC out there, both single components (mobos) for people who prefer customized hardware and ready made systems for everyone else, just have a look at the overview here:
http://www.linuxtech.net/features/nvidia...rview.html

You would find it very hard to compete against ION based systems, the margin would be razor-thin.
ion_man Wrote:...the margin would be razor-thin.

Indeed.

Between dropping hardware prices and guides like these, I think anyone who is savvy enough to want their own XBMC will build their own, have a child/friend/neighbor who can build one for them, or will buy something similar like a Boxee box.

The idea has crossed most of our minds, but I don't believe there could be profit on anything but a small scale.

NS
Yeah, given the fact that you can buy something like a Revo 1600 for $200 and add a remote and usb receiver, throw xbmc live on it, you basically have yourself a little xbmc appliance that plays HD content very well. Probably not a ton of money to be made branding an xbmc box to sell.