Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Portable Mode of Dharma?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
im new to your forums, though i'm not new to xbmc. But it's the first time, I can't figure out what to do.

Im running a portable xbmc installation on Windows 7 and tried to update to Dharma beta 1.
After the installation process, xbmc uses a new and empty database instead of my old one, all prefrences are gone. Before I installed, I did a backup of my old installtion. I tried to add the "-p" arguement to the link, but it didn't work.
So, I need to know is, how I can put Dharma into portable mode, to make it use the userdata-folder inside the installation's folder.

Thanks in advance Smile

Chris
Look inside the xbmc directory you should see a folder called "portable_data" that's where userdata now goes
Thanks a lot, everything is working again Smile
>>X<<' Wrote:Look inside the xbmc directory you should see a folder called "portable_data" that's where userdata now goes

I am using Dharma B3 on WinXP and cant find any such folder under program files >> XBMC ...

Do u have an absolute path? I want to make my current install into portable.

Anil
agarg Wrote:I am using Dharma B3 on WinXP and cant find any such folder under program files >> XBMC ...

Do u have an absolute path? I want to make my current install into portable.

Anil

Run XBMC with the -p argument and it will create the portable_data for you in the correct place.

JR
I have feature request - to have the -p take a directory name as a parameter and use THAT directory as the portable_data directory. Of course lack of the parameter can still default to the same portable_data directory.
If you just want to divert the portable_data to a fixed location, e.g. a NAS, then you can do this using a link. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link for details.

If you want to have multiple separate portable_data locations the way to do this would be using profiles. Having said that, it isn't currently possible to specify a profile name as a command line parameter, though I think there is a fearture request in for this.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Run XBMC with the -p argument

JR

How do you do that?
hendoben Wrote:How do you do that?

Right click the icon you use to start XBMC and on the shortcut menu choose Properties. In the "Target" field you'll have something like:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

Click at the end of the text and type in the -p so you have:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

and click OK. Note that the -p goes outside the quotes. If you want to turn off portable mode just go back into the icon properties and remove the -p again.

JR