Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC minimizes itself randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Upgraded to beta 3, also changed screen setting to using a true full screen in an attempt to minimize .mkv juddering.
Now while watching videos or playing music, XBMC suddenly & randomly minimizes itself to the taskbar.
I regressed back down to dbeta2, thinking it was the release,
but this continues in beta 2 also. Is it the "true full screen" setting that is causing this, and if so, why? I switched back to using a full screen window last night & didn't have it happen again, but wasn't watching it for very long.

Thanks in advance
DirectX offers app a full screen mode that is the fastest way to get stuff onto the screen but the trader off is that it cannot share the screen with any other apps. So if any other app gets the focus it forces the DX full screen app to minimise. This is what you're seeing.

If you enable "use a full screen window ..." it tells XBMC to use a different DX mode that does share the screen with other apps. However this is not as fast as true fullscreen, and depending on your PC you may notice some performance issues.

It's probably something ion the tray grabbing the focus. Try searching the forum as this problem has cropped up many times.

JR
I have brought it down to a couple of root causes:
- Windows Update notification (not much you can do, unless deactivate them at your own risk) - you will always have issues after "patch tuesday".
- Other app in tray sending notifications (most of the time you can deactivate notifications for these apps, or just uninstall or disable tray icon altogether if you don't need them). Example: Asus update, Adobe update, bla bla bla... There are a few tools on the market to get rid of these useless things once and for all
- Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 is notorious for stealing other application's focus. I updated to 2.0 beta and it has improved.
Thanks, I've checked for other apps notifiers popping up in the task after the screen's dropped, but couldn't see anything obvious. Will sift thru all the tray icons & turn of what I can & see what happens then.
I have these issues.
Haven't much installed on this mashine, except xbmc and McAfee..
when it minimizes I can't see any popup baloontip or anything that should be the reason for XBMC to minimize.
Have read through this but nothing seem to help?

anyone have other ideas, except use another os?

Using windows 7 on a i3.[/b]
I got the same problem....
Only XBMC and Microsoft Security Essentials installed on my machine..

Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core i3, 12GB DDR3
I've got the same problem also.
Keeps minimizing to black screen at random times, you can still hear audio and I can get the picture back with the remote - but it always comes back with a mouse cursor stuck in the middle of the screen. v annoying.

Only XBMC and Microsoft Sec. Essentials installed.

Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core i3 8gb ddr3
I'm using XBMCLauncher to get focus back automatically. Not the best solution but it works. Find it in Supplementary tools forum. It can put XBMC as shell which made this problem almost gone (But you can't use other windows feature until you quit XBMC)
(2013-09-11, 12:16)oldpoem Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using XBMCLauncher to get focus back automatically. Not the best solution but it works. Find it in Supplementary tools forum. It can put XBMC as shell which made this problem almost gone (But you can't use other windows feature until you quit XBMC)

Thanks oldpoem.

I'm pretty sure that my system is already using XBMCLauncher - not sure about the XBMC as Shell bit though (i'm not that tech savvy Blush), although I think it is checked when I click on Launcher.

My system was setup for me by a friend (who has since emigrated to Australia and has lost touch).
I'm having the same problem on the August Frodo build.
I have the same problem with every version after Frodo 12.0. 12.0 is the latest one I didn't experienced a minimizing problem with. Win 7, 8, 8.1, ATI gfx (5450/6670), any Catalyst driver, clean install or however, the problem occurs no matter what I do and how I configure XBMC. So it seems I am stuck with 12.0, hope not forever.