Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Acer Revo 3610 HDMI Audio working under Dharma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I spent about two weeks fighting with getting audio to work over hdmi with my Revo 3610 and I finally found a solution that worked for me. I was frustrated with how many people (with the same hardware and software) were posting that simply unmuting s/pdif in alsamixer was all they had to do. If that worked for you, great. If you had the same problem I did and it didn't work, hopefully the steps below will help you get HDMI audio working.

I'll try to make this as step by step as possible and not skip any steps that might seem granted. These steps do assume that you have installed XBMC Live to your hard disk.

First up, updating the OS and installing the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Exit XBMC and log in to the command line. Execute the following commands:

Code:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

With the upgrades done go ahead and restart the box.

Code:
$ sudo init 6

After the reboot exit XBMC again and log back in at the command line.

Unmute S/PDIF in alsamixer (highlight any channels that have mm and press the m key)

Code:
$ alsamixer

Exit alsamixer and back to the command line.

Code:
$ aplay -l

The above command shows output that identifies your hdmi audio output as card 0 device 3. We'll use that information in the following command when we try to play a test sound.

Code:
$ aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

You should hear a voice say "Center" if it works. In my setup I sometimes don't hear audio for a second or so after it starts playing so I had to run the command twice before I heard anything.

If your test was successful you now know your hardware works.
Next you'll create an /etc/asound.conf file to force hdmi audio to be the default.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave.pcm {
          type hw
          card 0
          device 3
     }
}

Press Ctrl+x to exit nano and y when prompted to save the file.

Reboot your Revo one more time. At this point I was able to get sound out of videos in XBMC but I went ahead and browsed into Settings>System>Audio Output and applied the following:

Code:
Audio output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost Volume level on downmix: *
- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: *
- DTS capable receiver: *
Audio output device: hdmi
Passthrough output device: hdmi

That's it. I really hope this helps someone. I just verified these steps on a fresh install of Dharma Live so I'm fairly certain I haven't missed anything.

Good luck!
btdonovan Wrote:Good luck!

Thank you. It appears we need a good deal of luck to make this common issue go away. I followed your and many other's instruction about how to get the sound work on Ubuntu 10.10 with the latest XBMC via HDMI connection, but it appears everyone has a different issue with different solution...

I completely removed pulseaudio after reading somewhere that XBMC can not use it and that may be the only difference between our configuration.

Anyway, I can hear the sound if I plug my speaker to the headphone port on the front of the Revo, but nothing comes out from the speakers of the telly via the HDMI link... No
Dude thank you so much this tutorial works perfectly
if somone got an trouble with any acer revo with sound or hdmi it works like a charm Smile
thank you again you made my day
btdonovan,
Thank you so much for this thread. I have tried a thousand different configurations with some getting me playback audio but no nav sounds and vice versa. Sometimes if I did get both working some DTS files wouldn't playback audio. Total nightmare and my wife thought I was losing my mind.

This thread got my Revo 1600 AND 3610 HDMI audio working perfectly. The 3610 is connected to a 7.1 amp at 1080p and the 1600 directly to my 720p Sony LCD 2-channel downmix. Sweeeetness!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot!
I went through all the steps and even though the "aplay" command never produced sound (it did when I select 0,0 the analog o/p but not 0,3 the HDMI o/p) XBMC did start playing sound through the HDMI connection.
Youpi !

The "vi" side of me wishes I could have got aplay working though ;-)
I have the revo 1600 and have a hodge podge if conf files and settings from about 6 different posts. I think I may have screwed the pooch. I get video, but when there is movement (walking across screen) I get frame drops. The audio doesn't sync up and the options in my passthrough are hdmi(ALSA), Default (Alsa) and Cutom which I put hdmi:CARD=NVidia. This all started when I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

I know all of the above is incorrect and I need a good starting point. I followed your instructions, but still get no sound. As I mentiond, I have been through a lot of threads trying to piece it together and now I believe a got confused and messed it all up.

Is there a good place to start, or should I just start over and try OpenElec?

XELOR, would you be willing to share an image of your 1600?
**EDIT**
Well I got a bit closer. removed all nvidia drivers and installed this one: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.

Now I have smooth video and sound through HDMI for SD, 720, and some 1080(h.264). Other 1080, the sound drops out every few seconds...
Th3R00st3r Wrote:I have the revo 1600 and have a hodge podge if conf files and settings from about 6 different posts. I think I may have screwed the pooch. I get video, but when there is movement (walking across screen) I get frame drops. The audio doesn't sync up and the options in my passthrough are hdmi(ALSA), Default (Alsa) and Cutom which I put hdmi:CARD=NVidia. This all started when I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

I know all of the above is incorrect and I need a good starting point. I followed your instructions, but still get no sound. As I mentiond, I have been through a lot of threads trying to piece it together and now I believe a got confused and messed it all up.

Is there a good place to start, or should I just start over and try OpenElec?

XELOR, would you be willing to share an image of your 1600?

How about an Easeus todo backup? Where an I upload it with minimal fuss?
I am not familiar with EaseUS. I see there is a free version, would that work?
And I would have to have Win 7 Installed?
I installed EaseUS and am trying it out with my office PC. Seems like a good tool.

Let me know what you would like me to do.
Just an update. I added my modeline for my TV (Samsung LN52A630) modes to xconf.org. Between that and removing and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers I now have smooth playback of about 98% of the videos(480,720,1080) with sound. I noticed the ones that still drop audio are the ones with aac audio encoding. DTS, and AC3 work fine. Thanks for all the posts, without them I wouldn't have figured this out.
:confused2:Just wondered if anyone has gotten btdonovan's fix to work with a Acer Revo 3600. I recently installed a live version of Eden Beta 3, managed to get most sound working through my AVR with my Acer connected to my Samsung TV. Still getting stuck though, have no sound working on my DTS files! I'm still a bit of a newbie at this. Rolleyes, spent most of yesterday changing Audio Output settings, but I still can't get everything working.

Hoping there is someone out there with a similar problem that can point me in the right direction or has an answer.

Any help will be much appreciated! Wink

Thanks!
For any users experiencing issues with their sound config on Acer Revo units I would suggest taking OpenELEC for a spin.

I did this on my lounge based R3610 (running from a front loaded SD card to leave the W7 install intact) and can say that it performed straight out of the box.

Previously I've had versions of the XBMCfreak cds and XBMC 10.1 LiveCD and have found them all to have their issues.

One of the slickest things with OpenELEC is that the relevant directories (eg for advancedsettings.xml etc) are all exposed via shares over the network so you shouldn't have to SSH in if you want to tweak the setup. It also boots incredibly quickly, even running from a cheapo SD card (unlike 10.1 LiveCD which my family quickly learned to hate).
Thanks, OpenElec seemed to work well. I even got menu sounds working which didn't before. Still having a problem with some of my files, music works, but all of the voice audio sounds really quiet (sometimes silent) and echoey. Huh
Brilliant, Thanks btdonovan
Pages: 1 2