Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
!!Discontinued
I am stopping development on this add-on since network-manager is included in XBMCbuntu and it conflicts with wicd.

I have now created a release thread for the new nm frondend and will stop posting here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130816

I have upgraded to Eden.
https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/xbm...11.0.0.zip

The install function have been removed.

You need to remove network manager and install wicd curses otherwise it does not work.
Quote:sudo apt-get purge network-manager network-manager-gnome
sudo apt-get install wicd-curses

Here is the last Dharma version
https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/xbm...-0.0.6.zip

If you want to test you need to be able to post a debug log in case you get some errors. Another add-on that helps with that is available in the offficial repository.
The add-on is of course used on your own risk.

In the current version there is not a full properties/configure dialog. A network is set to auto connect when added, while the complete solution is pending I have added a temporarily "remove auto button". The reason is that even a failed connection attempt will set that connection to auto creating issues if that is the strongest connection.
(This may not be needed anymore in Ubuntu 11.10)
excellent! I was needing something like this for my appletv running linux. I will try this later. many thanks
I will make a very simple GUI and release it for test.
Please let me know if you want to test it!

EDIT: img removed
I would love to test this out but I am unexperienced and I'm using WPA, not WPA2 on xbmc live 10.
Quote:I would love to test this out but I am unexperienced and I'm using WPA, not WPA2 on xbmc live 10.
I beleive WPA,WPA2 & WEP should work. It is only that I have not tested yet.
You are welcome to test, but if it does not work I will not be able to help you.

Please note that the picture is from the next version. The existing version is only a couple of buttons and you have to type in the name of your network.
I know this is exactly what you said that you didn't want to do, but I'll ask anyway. Teehee! Nod

How would one install this? Would I unzip the contents to a certain directory?

If so, can you explain exactly how to do that via the cli (I have an xbmc live 10 install, so no gui outside of xbmc itself)? - please be very explicit, detailing commands and all

Btw, thanks for making this. It seems like such an obvious and useful tool that has been left out of xbmc.
no unzipping. put it in the home folder or on a usb.

Go to system/add-ons / install from zip file
and select the zip file.
I can report some progress! I have hooked up the new GUI to the wrapper and it can now scan the networks!

EDIT - img removed
I get a 404 error when trying to access the zip file listed above.

Is there a new link?
Sorry about that, I fixed it. Hopefully the new GUI will be ready for test after the weekend.
The Wireless Manager add-on is now ready for test with the new GUI.
See first post.
(The download is from dropbox and it does not seem happy today you may have to try a few times.)
I figured out how to manually upload the zip. I assumed it would be generated by git, but guess not. I also figured out that that if I want a repository the add-on should be a sub folder, but thats a later problem.

https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/xbm...-0.0.2.zip

Anyone that have tested?
Tested on a Zotac ION ITX Board.
It worked as described.

You should add a button to "disconnect".
Perhaps the Install Button could change to disconnect after installing.

Thank you for the Skript, that is what I was waiting for since month Big Grin
Quote:Tested on a Zotac ION ITX Board.
It worked as described.

You should add a button to "disconnect".
Perhaps the Install Button could change to disconnect after installing.

Thank you for the Skript, that is what I was waiting for since month

Thanks for testing! I started to think no one was interested.

Yes, I agree need a disconnect.
Other needed changes:
  • Display indicator in list if a network is set to autoconnect
  • Possiblity to display and change this and other settings (I will chnage the "details" button to a "configure")
  • Since the configure button could handle hidden network I can replace "hidden" with disconnect.
I cannot promise when this can be finished, but add a subscription to this thread. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Another thing that would be great would be if it could install without internet. I could do that, but then I think it will not be accepted into the repository. I am considering functionality to scan a USB to find the .deb files.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7