Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MCE remote Puts PC to Sleep. Won't wake it up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is there something I need to do in order to get the MCE remote to wake the PC up? I can press the power button and off to sleep it'll go. However when I press the power button or any button on the remote for that matter nothing will wake it up. I can see the IR blinking next to the PC so I know the USB port it's plugged into is receiving.

Could really use some help on that one.

THanks guys!
OS?
Doh. Its Win7 64bit. I found some tool called Slick SOlutions

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

That didn't seem to make a bit of difference either.
Taking a guess here as mine seems to work fine (cheapo mce compat remote).
Does your motherboard support waking from usb devices? Might be a bios setting or something that's required.
It works on several PCs that I've tested, but as fekker says, for some PCs there is a BIOS option that controls this.

JR
Well my Media PC is actually a Lenovo T410 laptop with an Core I5 processor. I checked the bios and there's really nothing that refers to waking on USB. Their weird thing is I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up via USB and if I touch a key on the keyboard it wakes right up I just dont understand why its not doing the same with the remote though.

Its killing me. lol
FWIW. I"m using an old MCE Remote that came with an HP Media center I had back in the day. I also own a Logitech Harmony One so I can set up a new device on that and customize a button if anyone things that'll work.
I just programmed my H1 as an MCE remote. Power toggle will put system to sleep. NOTHING will wake it up. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this part is. In all my planning for this system I never thought I'd run into an obstacle like this. Geez.
Is the USB port you're plugging the IR receiver into powered during standby? On some boards only a subset of the USB ports are powered when in standby/Off. Try putting it in the port you use for the keyboard/mouse.
Thanks for the help man. I do have the IR Reciever plugged into a powered USB Port. Lastnight I tried plugging it into various other USB ports but I get the same results.

You can even see the red activity light blink on the IR Receiver when I press the power button. It seems everything is in place and it should wake it up but I just dont' get whats preventing it.

I did a google search and apparently the problem is popular. There were several hits on MCE remote puts PC to sleep but won't wake it. I have yet to find a solution though.
Hmm... sounds like you have that covered, then. I remember this being an issue years ago when I built a MS MCE PC when it was still a separate version of Windows. I remember mine did end up being a setting in the BIOS, which confused me because my workaround while the remote wasn't working was to use a wireless USB keyboard/mouse to wake it up.

Might be worth a second look, especially if your BIOS has a separate S3 sleep/hibernate section.
gizmotoy Wrote:Hmm... sounds like you have that covered, then. I remember this being an issue years ago when I built a MS MCE PC when it was still a separate version of Windows. I remember mine did end up being a setting in the BIOS, which confused me because my workaround while the remote wasn't working was to use a wireless USB keyboard/mouse to wake it up.

Might be worth a second look, especially if your BIOS has a separate S3 sleep/hibernate section.

Yeah Ive been over the bios several times. Not a thing at all about S3, Sleep, Hiberation. Nada. Its a lenovo laptop so I guess they go with just the very basics.

I assume its working though because why else am I able to put the system to sleep in the first place. Why is there IR Activity on the USB Port when I press the power button while its a sleep. It just continues to remain asleep and won't come out. Aaaaaaagh!. Its the little BS issues like this that can really diminish the overall experience of having a Media system like this. Wow. Well I hope one day I'll figure it out. I guess until then I will have to hit any key on my wireless keyboard. LAME!
In linux you have to tell it you want it to be able to wake up the device. I imagine that there's something similar in Windows.
Have you tried to use this registry changes? (save code in a .reg file)
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

The change is explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858

This always worked for me with XP machines, so I'm not sure if it will work with your se7en 64.
dtorner Wrote:Have you tried to use this registry changes? (save code in a .reg file)
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

The change is explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858

This always worked for me with XP machines, so I'm not sure if it will work with your se7en 64.

Well XP definitely has that key but Win7 does not. I will try adding it and see if that helps or not.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3