Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
joebrady Wrote:http://www.cygnos360.com/news.htm
Yeh so what's the point? theres no sound and no 3d aceleration which means it will run like hell. a pointless excersise if you want my oppinion:p
Good exercise - but it will be like watching a movie on the taxi way at an airport! Big Grin
paul Wrote:Yeh so what's the point? theres no sound and no 3d aceleration which means it will run like hell. a pointless excersise if you want my oppinion:p

Maybe but who knows it could be the next cheap arse media centre, XBMC had to start somewhere so the 360 maybe the next conquest.
Click the link - make sure you dont have your PC speakers turned up to loud Wink - your'll get nice 747 effects without going to the airport... 360 IMO is way to noisey to ever be a half decent media centre.....
That's why they make watercooling, I guess...
However, there is a way to see movies on your XBOX 360
vskatusa Wrote:However, there is a way to see movies on your XBOX 360

That's no the discussion here, XBMC on 360 is. Please stay on topic.
Just saw the post about the new cygnos chip on Xbox-scene.com. Noteably, the bit about XBMC running on linux-360. I understand that there is no gpu acceleration or direct sound support...but isn't this still a fantastic step in the right direction?

I'm most likely wrong in this assertion, but I would think that even without the GPU's support, regular ol' avi playback should work with the power packed into the machine...no?

So yeah, while it's not yet full-blown XBMC, it is a running model. Hopefully, work will continue in the direction this shows and sound and gpu support will rear their heads. Kudos to anybody who did the porting to get even this basic step down...
We aren't involved, nor are we interested in being. Those who are can fork.
althekiller Wrote:We aren't involved, nor are we interested in being. Those who are can fork.

It would appear that someone associated with the program is interested...at least, according to the article.

Quote:We used Ubuntu 7.10 for that purpose (we dont take credits for the porting to PPC that fully goes to the guys at XBMC.org). We had to throw in quite a bit of work in patching here and there to get XBMC running on our Xbox360 console (so we take credit for that ;-) ). We did not have any time for any optimization whatsoever. Please view this as a "proof of concept" XBMC is still without GPU acceleration and without direct sound support. It runs stable however and you can see the news feed ticking in. We are confident that the revived interest in Linux on the Xbox360 together with the excellent hardware documentation, which is already available for AMDs similar R500 and R600 GPUs, will soon lead to 3D acceleration on the Xbox360.

So...either it's a hack of the mac version, or someone here helped??

Either way...I am very sorry that you (collectively?) feel that way about this. It was originally said that it would never happen. Then it was said that it was theoretically possible, but would still never happen. Then it was this...then it was that. Now they have proof-of-concept, and...what...still nobody is interested?

I have to ask...why in the hell not? I mean, don't take this personal, but the 360 paired with cygnos has a lot of potential, and it seems a little dumb to have no interest whatsoever in exploring the possibilities.

I know I don't have much room to be bold as I can't contribute much to the development of the program, but I know that if I was capable of working on this myself, I'd be all over it.

So, yeah...sorry to hear that.
digitalhigh Wrote:It would appear that someone associated with the program is interested...at least, according to the article.

So...either it's a hack of the mac version, or someone here helped??

Either way...I am very sorry that you (collectively?) feel that way about this. It was originally said that it would never happen. Then it was said that it was theoretically possible, but would still never happen. Then it was this...then it was that. Now they have proof-of-concept, and...what...still nobody is interested?

I have to ask...why in the hell not? I mean, don't take this personal, but the 360 paired with cygnos has a lot of potential, and it seems a little dumb to have no interest whatsoever in exploring the possibilities.

I know I don't have much room to be bold as I can't contribute much to the development of the program, but I know that if I was capable of working on this myself, I'd be all over it.

So, yeah...sorry to hear that.
Well put digitalhigh.
While i have no use for it myself on my xbox360s i do know a lot of people who would love to run xbmc on there xbox 360's as it's a great machine for the money as was XBOX1.
And i can't help but feel the devs are just plain snobby and don't want anything to do with consoles. But just maybe they know they can't do it and just won't admit to it.
Just my oppinionWink
Right, snobby. Play cat and mouse with console hacks or develop freely on open platforms...which to choose...
althekiller Wrote:Right, snobby. Play cat and mouse with console hacks or develop freely on open platforms...which to choose...

I did figure that it was something along those lines...the cat and mouse bit, not the snobby bit.

Still...I have to give a nod to the origins of XBMC, where all that was available was console hacks, and the XB actually meant Xbox. I totally get the developer standpoint of "Develop on what's easiest", but dammit, can't you guys at least try? Isn't that the whole fun of being a programmer...coming up with brilliant hacks to do stuff that's not supposed to be done??

I can probably spout this stuff until I'm blue in the face...but I implore any devs out there to give this some serious consideration. What may be a clodgy console hack now could eventually evolve into an eloquent, powerful platform...just as the Xbox1 did. Why not get the jump on this medium??
@digitalhigh
There's been recently an appeal for Xbox 1 developers to come on board due to lack of resources, I wouldn't see a whole new push on Xbox 360 with as probably there's enough people willing to put an effort for a long time in this direction... Maybe is a pitty, but in my oppinion the driver now is Linux platform, probably due better tools and libraries readily available.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23