Kodi Community Forum
[SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin (/showthread.php?tid=121023)

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - mattmartinolc - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-25, 02:01)learningit Wrote: I would suggest that people look into the chrome launcher or scraper methods proposed in an earlier post.

In other words, guys like me using a Raspi are buggered lol. There's always linXBMC - Sam Nazarko claims to have the answer for Netflix so hopefully it can serve to play Hulu also.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - zaide_chris - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-25, 02:00)learningit Wrote: Through a byzantine series of exchanges today, I got the answer to whether or not I'm wasting my time on this. Guess you need to be stupid to get the right answer.
I can confirm that at this time all CDNs use type 2 verification for anything other than some preview clips.

So does this mean your HULU plugin is now broken and not working?

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - toejam - 2014-03-25

Quote:I can confirm that at this time all CDNs use type 2 verification for anything other than some preview clips
Not the case in my testing, darwin-edgecast remains not using SWF verfify 2, both now and for the duration until now.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - denobisipsis - 2014-03-25

Sorry, but darwin-edgecast it's not using swf 2 at the moment and it's working.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - crazybrit - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-25, 09:01)denobisipsis Wrote: Sorry, but darwin-edgecast it's not using swf 2 at the moment and it's working.

Based on previous comments, it seems dependent on show. Colbert Report was listing Akamai and darwin-level3, neither of which worked (using v3.4.9.8).

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - tricky2lu - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-25, 09:01)denobisipsis Wrote: Sorry, but darwin-edgecast it's not using swf 2 at the moment and it's working.

How do we add darwin edgecast as a CDN option please ?

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - lewis.donofrio - 2014-03-25

on xbox platform or anything other than windows platform? inquiring minds want to know...

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - mattmartinolc - 2014-03-25

I will play with my files again and see if I can get darwin-edgecast to show up but I am skeptical about it.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - Romey-Rome - 2014-03-25

It was a lot easier to get edgecast yesterday than today, and it's not show by show basis. Things that worked yesterday don't work today, and things that work today likely won't tomorrow.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - zaide_chris - 2014-03-25

So I ran some DNS lookups from different areas of the us on s.hulu.com and then sent select queries to all the gathered IPs, some of them did reply with more then just akamai or darwin-level3, but now i'm only getting akamai or darwin-level3, So it working for some people and not others seams to be do to a slow rolling update.

And here is a simple php script that gets a smil file then decrypts it http://pastebin.com/f3CRWg6g, python isn't my language of choice.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - learningit - 2014-03-25

After spending the day yesterday, directly or indirectly helping Hulu, their CDN(s) or Adobe fix some of those DNS and default routine problems they had, I can pretty much tell you that avenue is closing down fast. I had a very singular conversation with several people yesterday and within an hour or two their problem(s) went away. There's a lot of resources there - Fox (does anyone really read Fox News?), Comcast, etc. It's really at the point that it's not worth pursuing any longer if you are trying to do the right thing and stay within the guidelines of the XBMC community. There are alternatives in using a chrome launcher, etc. For those that think they're buggered, check it out - there's a version of Chrome that runs under Linux.
Personally, I have a different, selfish issue that a browser solution can't fix and is the reason I really love XBMC and their open source community. A while ago, folks who know about such things, told me that in the not too distant future, I will slowly lose my ability to do everyday things, like type and sit up straight in a chair. When I looked at XBMC, I saw a platform that allows me to read/listen to news, listen to my music and watch lectures, tv and movies without having to ask people to help me. I've used the json interface and a Kinect to make that happen, it works most of time but still has some kinks. Though I'm still mobile, the folks who could benefit the most from this can't really tolerate constant change or "Things that worked yesterday don't work today, and things that work today likely won't tomorrow.". If and when I get things working consistently, I'll release the Kinect interfaces. I've written a number of news plugins which are in the official repo that are really stable and i hope will be for some time to come, or someone else will fix. Hulu to me, was simply one of the many legitimate ways I could watch some old crap that I like. I don't care if it has commercials or whatever. With the addition of PVR and tuner support in XBMC, it's less of an issue for me - my local channels and MeTV are good enough especially with the PVR.

(2014-03-25, 20:11)learningit Wrote: It's really at the point that it's not worth pursuing any longer if you are trying to do the right thing and stay within the guidelines of the XBMC community.

I really don't know what to say about the rest of the previous post but purely in response to what I quote above .... what are these "guidelines of the XBMC community"? My understanding is that SWF v1 is still RTMPE and the legality of using librtmp (rtmpdump) to decode it in the US is "open to interpretation". Like the rtmpdump code says for v2 support "patches welcomed" [1]. I'm not sure decoding v2 would violate any more or less "XBMC community guidelines" than v1 but perhaps I'm incorrect?

For sure, the trend seems to be that the CDNs Hulu is using are moving to v2, so without support for it in librtmp, all that is left is hoping that on a day to day basis, a CDN will show up that still supports v1, which is basically useless in terms of a reliable add-on.

If Hulu plus was available with a +$4/month ad-free option I'd just get a Roku as (no fault to the developers of this add-on) but the interface is clunky and at least on a Raspberry Pi, very slow.

[1] http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/rtmpdump/2011-August/001549.html

I agree with this statement, however can you see a smil which has anything other than a preview clip in it? If you can, let's have this conversation again a few days from now.

(2014-03-25, 20:35)crazybrit Wrote:
(2014-03-25, 20:11)learningit Wrote: It's really at the point that it's not worth pursuing any longer if you are trying to do the right thing and stay within the guidelines of the XBMC community.

I really don't know what to say about the rest of the previous post but purely in response to what I quote above .... what are these "guidelines of the XBMC community"? My understanding is that SWF v1 is still RTMPE and the legality of using librtmp (rtmpdump) to decode it in the US is "open to interpretation". Like the rtmpdump code says for v2 support "patches welcomed" [1]. I'm not sure decoding v2 would violate any more or less "XBMC community guidelines" than v1 but perhaps I'm incorrect?
You're right i'm not in a position to speak for the guidelines of the XBMC community and actually wasn't trying to. It's just my interpretation. I guess really what i'm trying to say is: if it's too much of a pain in the rear and people are offended/frightened/upset by what we do, should we continue? I tend to vote with my feet and move on in trivial matters like this.

(2014-03-25, 21:23)learningit Wrote: and people are offended/frightened/upset by what we do, should we continue?

Who are the "people" you refer to above?