Kodi Community Forum
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox) (/showthread.php?tid=85)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- jarenback - 2006-11-23

ultrabrutal Wrote:jarenback... geminiserver is working on dreambox integration, when that's done it should be possible to use dreambox as tuner for xbmc making recording possible etc... more info if you search.

until then you can set up a samba on a pc and record to there and watch it from the xbox. the dreambox video output is horrible compared to xbmc at 720p.
I use FTP to connect to my DM 7020 and watch my recordings but sadly it often messes up either the Dreambox or XBMC
Thanks for the info! I gone to look at geminiserver work! Thanks !
/jarenback

- KingJames - 2006-11-23

Is Upnp Server an Alternative to a Samba Server and is it a better choice for xbmc.

- KingJames - 2006-12-01

What is the difference between a samba and upnp server?

- kraqh3d - 2006-12-01

Samba is CIFS protocol (aka, Windows networking) which is meant for accessing remote file shares not really for streaming. UPNP is strictly a streaming service. It uses HTTP as its underlying protocol, and it uses XML for its file listings.

Can I share XBOX drive? - ugul - 2006-12-29

Is there a way to share my xbox drive with SMB so I can see it as part of my workgroup in XP ?
It would make it a lot easier when extracting files as I could do it directly to xbox instead of having to extract locally then ftp.

- spiff - 2006-12-29

no.

unless you run linux on the xbox. this has been answered thousands of times, please search.

Filetransfer from PC to XBOX via Samba instead FTP? - don_camillo - 2007-05-17

Is it possible to get access to the XBOX Folders via SAMBA? The reverse direction is working I know (XBOX to PC). But can I copy files to my XBOX from PC via SAMBA?

THX

- vibe666 - 2007-05-17

jesus christ, does nobody ever read more than one post in a thread?

NO NO NO NO NO, NEVER, NOT EVER.

stop asking.

Samba Server - rufio - 2007-06-26

I know there was talk of this long ago but I am not sure if it was ever accomplished. Is there a reason a samba server was excluded from XBMC, is there somebody still working on the problem, or is this a project yet to be worked on?

Thank you for any response.

SMB client in XBMC, is server possible? - Big_Whoopin - 2007-10-22

Just wondering if inclusion of an SMB server in XBMC has been considered or would even be possible? Just thinking that it may be easier to work with for moving data back and forth to an Xbox from a PC instead of using FTP, and XBMC to XBMC communications could (maybe?) benefit as well.

Hoping I'm not asking something that has been asked before, but searches of the wiki and forums didn't turn up anything. Thanks for all the work put into this project, I consider XBMC *the* reason to mod an Xbox.

-Whoopin'

- elupus - 2007-10-22

considered, wanted, many times. i bet searching on forum shows up bunches. current samba would be to hard todo thou as it requires multiple processes which can't be done on the xbox

- Trav - 2007-10-29

I don't understand.

The Xenium OS by TeamXodus (http://www.teamxodus.com/) has samba built in . So obviously it can be done on the XBOX, why is it so hard to implement in XBMC?

- elupus - 2007-10-29

cause they use linux as os and we use the xdk

XBMC samba server - Bram77 - 2008-05-27

It would be really sweet if we'd be able to mount a share on a XBOX in windows. So no FTP client is needed to manage files on the XBOX. I realize this must have been discussed before but I can't find any threads about this at the moment.
This feature is not of great importance, but it would be 'nice'. So maybe implementing samba isn't such a big deal and someone want's to do it? I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

- spiff - 2008-05-27

it is a big deal, the samba server forks() on each connection