Kodi Community Forum
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. (/showthread.php?tid=136037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-07-26

(2012-07-26, 09:43)chtamina Wrote:
(2012-07-14, 21:06)bcrowie Wrote: Tf101 shows black screen then closes. Any thoughts?

I got a black screen too, any updates ?

thanks

The Asus Transformer (Tf101) is a Tegra2 based device which is currently unsupported. XBMC can be made to work on the Tegra2 but it will not playback even SD content. The official statement on the XBMC wiki is the Tegra2 will likely not be supported in the final version (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_Android_specific_FAQ#Requirements ).

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kermzu - 2012-07-26

(2012-07-26, 13:45)davilla Wrote: The IR receiver on the XIOS box understand NEC, RC5 and RC6. /etc/remote.conf controls how the remote driver is setup. If you watch dmesg, each time an IR key is hit, there will be a debug msg. This includes from other IR remotes too but they are ignored. If you play around a bit, you will see how remote.conf is setup, how to link a remote to it and map buttons.

Note that the power button on the XIOS IR remote is special, it gets mapped to a special register non-volatile register in the IR controller to handle power on/off functions.

thank you I'll play around with it

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - soonerlater - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-25, 20:50)kemonine96 Wrote: Before going down the path of building the APK, you will want to ensure your device has NEON support.

I Googled "Neon support" and read this, so I kinda, sorta have a dim-bulb idea of what you're talking about (I think), but how do I determine whether my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (1838) supports NEON?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-27, 16:57)soonerlater Wrote:
(2012-07-25, 20:50)kemonine96 Wrote: Before going down the path of building the APK, you will want to ensure your device has NEON support.

I Googled "Neon support" and read this, so I kinda, sorta have a dim-bulb idea of what you're talking about (I think), but how do I determine whether my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (1838) supports NEON?

I normally find the NEON support by looking at the system board they used on a given tablet. After doing some googling it looks like your system board is the Tegra 2 T20. Once I have the system board I usually hit the manufacturer site or wikipedia to find out if there is NEON support. The Tegra 2 T20 lacking NEON from what I've read.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - eriqjaffe - 2012-07-27

You can also look at /proc/cpuinfo using a file manager like Astro.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1662656

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - memturbo - 2012-07-27

Tried and working on a EVO 4g that is all but hardware acc

Re: RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - bornagainpenguin - 2012-07-28

(2012-07-27, 20:29)memturbo Wrote: Tried and working on a EVO 4g that is all but hardware acc

Is this the same hardware as the Virgin Mobile HTC Evo V?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - papampi - 2012-07-28

any news on DD and DTS sound on xios ?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-07-28

(2012-07-28, 09:08)papampi Wrote: any news on DD and DTS sound on xios ?

Check on Pivos forums, then when it is available, there will be a posting.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ersan - 2012-07-28

Is there a reason libcmyth isn't included with android as a target? Could anyone compile libcmyth-arm.so for the xios ds? I'm having a hell of a time with it...

I tried using the libcmyth-arm.so compiled for the raspberry pi but it didn't work:
19:04:46 T:28234304 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcmyth-arm.so)
19:04:46 T:28234304 DEBUG: Loading: /system/lib/libcmyth-arm.so
19:04:46 T:28234304 ERROR: Unable to load /system/lib/libcmyth-arm.so, reason: (null)

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-07-28

(2012-07-28, 20:45)Ersan Wrote: Is there a reason libcmyth isn't included with android as a target? Could anyone compile libcmyth-arm.so for the xios ds? I'm having a hell of a time with it...

I tried using the libcmyth-arm.so compiled for the raspberry pi but it didn't work:
19:04:46 T:28234304 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcmyth-arm.so)
19:04:46 T:28234304 DEBUG: Loading: /system/lib/libcmyth-arm.so
19:04:46 T:28234304 ERROR: Unable to load /system/lib/libcmyth-arm.so, reason: (null)

linux binaries will not work on android even if they are both arm.

libcmyth was not included for the same reason as libshariport and about 1/2 a dozen more. It takes time to build/test and integrate them. There are about 45 external libs plus about 8-10 internal ones. That's a lot of libs to get working and I think we have done a pretty good job so far. You should have seen the fight that libsmbclient gave, it almost sunk the ship Smile

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ersan - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-28, 21:17)davilla Wrote: linux binaries will not work on android even if they are both arm.

libcmyth was not included for the same reason as libshariport and about 1/2 a dozen more. It takes time to build/test and integrate them. There are about 45 external libs plus about 8-10 internal ones. That's a lot of libs to get working and I think we have done a pretty good job so far. You should have seen the fight that libsmbclient gave, it almost sunk the ship Smile

Ahh, alrighty thanks for the info! Looking forward to libcmyth Smile

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - spikey911 - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-26, 02:21)kemonine96 Wrote: On Tegra2 devices... XBMC can be made to work, however, it is basically unusable for video playback. See my post here for more detailed information. Keep in mind the official statement is that the Tegra2 is not supported: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_Android_specific_FAQ#Requirements

If you are unsure if your device is a Tegra2 check out http://www.gsmarena.com/ and do a search. They have details on most Android Phones / Tablets including the processor. I am not affiliated with the site, I just find it very useful for tracking down what hardware is in a given mobile device.

Great...My tablet is already obsolete.

I wonder why Tegra 2 is not going to be supported. That leaves out a huge chunk of popular tablets.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-29, 01:52)spikey911 Wrote: Great...My tablet is already obsolete.

I wonder why Tegra 2 is not going to be supported. That leaves out a huge chunk of popular tablets.

I had a similar sentiment when I started working with the XBMC sources. I myself have a Tegra2 tablet and I wasn't thrilled with the possibility of the Tegra2 devices being unsupported. I have made some headway on Tegra2 support and right now the best I could get was "SD video mostly works". In order to get 720p and low-profile 1080p support a ton of extra work is necessary.

The main reason the Tegra2 is unsupported currently is due to limitations in the underlying hardware, nvidia opted to minimize the floating point capabilities of the hardware and it really hamstrings video playback. In order for the Tegra2 to be viable, hardware decode support will need to be implemented. In order for hardware decode to work the CrystaX NDK likely needs some work, the XBMC dependencies will likely need work and XBMC itself will probably need some work. Another point is the compile options for the Tegra2 are very different from newer platforms with NEON support. After talking with the devs on IRC, I agree that the Tegra2 is not a wise platform to target initially. In order to target the Tegra2 the developers will likely need 2 separate toolchains and will need to compile XBMC twice, once for the Tegra2 platform and another time for the newer platforms. Right now I don't see how that is an option for the developers...

A plus in all of this (as far as I can tell) is the developers of XBMC appear to be planning some kind of broader hardware decode support for the long-term. If they achieve this then the Tegra2 can likely be made to work. I plan on tracking the progress and doing what I can to make the Tegra2 an option for XBMC.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-07-29

Also beware that Tegra2 cannot hw decode high@ L4.1 h264. which pretty much cuts out about 90 percent of video content out there. So you will be very limited in what you can watch even if XBMC can do hw decode under Tegra2. That was the main reason why over two years ago I abandoned an XBMC on Linux port to Tegra2 SoC.

Just to put things into perspective, I would have also abandoned the XBMC on iOS/ATV2 port if high@ L4.1 h264 was not supported.