Kodi Community Forum
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. (/showthread.php?tid=136037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - EarnheadJ - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-29, 01:52)spikey911 Wrote:
(2012-07-26, 02:21)kemonine96 Wrote: On Tegra2 devices... XBMC can be made to work, however, it is basically unusable for video playback. See my post here for more detailed information. Keep in mind the official statement is that the Tegra2 is not supported: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_Android_specific_FAQ#Requirements

If you are unsure if your device is a Tegra2 check out http://www.gsmarena.com/ and do a search. They have details on most Android Phones / Tablets including the processor. I am not affiliated with the site, I just find it very useful for tracking down what hardware is in a given mobile device.

Great...My tablet is already obsolete.

I wonder why Tegra 2 is not going to be supported. That leaves out a huge chunk of popular tablets.

Sucks for me too and my Acer a500 Sad

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - WisdomWolf - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-26, 19:14)michaeljwestii Wrote: I just wish I could figure out where sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml are loaded so I can copy over my custom ones.

<STORAGE DEVICE>/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

<STORAGE DEVICE> refers to sdcard or external storage, whichever is applicable to your phone/tablet. Be sure to have hidden files visible or you won't see the .xbmc folder.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-29, 04:41)davilla Wrote: Also beware that Tegra2 cannot hw decode high@ L4.1 h264

Can I assume this is most common for 1080p content, or has it also been used commonly for 720p?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-07-29

mediainfo will tell you the h264 profile/level, I suggest you check your existing content.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - soonerlater - 2012-07-31

Can XBMC on Android be configured so that once you've used it to select a video to play, that it just passes the file link to another installed player?

I ask because I have a Tegra 2 tablet (Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838) and Tegra 2 devices are not supported currently (and may never be). However, it is not my goal to use XBMC to display video on my TV. I merely want to display it on the tablet itself -- and I already have players that will play all of the video stored on my home NAS. So you may wonder why I'd even want to install XBMC at all. It's so that my young son can use cover flow to scroll through the movies on the NAS, then select and play what he wants. He doesn't read much yet, so I have to read him the titles, one-by-one, which is time consuming.

I don't need XBMC to be my player, just my method of browsing the files to play.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - jjd-uk - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-31, 18:35)soonerlater Wrote: Can XBMC on Android be configured so that once you've used it to select a video to play, that it just passes the file link to another installed player?

I ask because I have a Tegra 2 tablet (Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 1838) and Tegra 2 devices are not supported currently (and may never be). However, it is not my goal to use XBMC to display video on my TV. I merely want to display it on the tablet itself -- and I already have players that will play all of the video stored on my home NAS. So you may wonder why I'd even want to install XBMC at all. It's so that my young son can use cover flow to scroll through the movies on the NAS, then select and play what he wants. He doesn't read much yet, so I have to read him the titles, one-by-one, which is time consuming.

I don't need XBMC to be my player, just my method of browsing the files to play.
If that's all you want to do why not use something like MovieBrowser UPnP for Tablet

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - d1dd1 - 2012-07-31

or Mizuu

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Montellese - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-31, 18:35)soonerlater Wrote: Can XBMC on Android be configured so that once you've used it to select a video to play, that it just passes the file link to another installed player?

I have looked into this (see my branch https://github.com/Montellese/android/compare/android-rebase-8...external_player) and in general it is possible (and probably a lot easier than my quick hack) but I haven't found any way of getting feedback from the android player yet so when I finished playing a video with the android player it returns back to XBMC but XBMC still thinks that the video is playing and you have to manually "stop" it.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - ritalin - 2012-08-01

So the Nexus Q's retail launch was delayed today by Google.
The following comment was issued;

Quote:"When we announced Nexus Q at Google I/O, we gave away devices to attendees for an early preview. The industrial design and hardware were met with great enthusiasm. We also heard initial feedback from users that they want Nexus Q to do even more than it does today. In response, we have decided to postpone the consumer launch of Nexus Q while we work on making it even better."

Do you guys have anything special you would like to share with us? Big Grin

In any event its pretty damn cool of Google to go ahead and send all those that had pre-ordered the device a free unit, which will start shipping today.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - dknlght - 2012-08-01

(2012-07-31, 21:29)Montellese Wrote:

I have looked into this (see my branch https://github.com/Montellese/android/compare/android-rebase-8...external_player) and in general it is possible (and probably a lot easier than my quick hack) but I haven't found any way of getting feedback from the android player yet so when I finished playing a video with the android player it returns back to XBMC but XBMC still thinks that the video is playing and you have to manually "stop" it.

will this work for streaming video links as well? I use xbmc mainly for the streaming video add-ons since I'm ok with using the native video players for the files that I have on my file shares and such. For the devices that might not be supported like the tegra 2 I'm satified with using the xbmc video addons to parse the content and just have an android player play the video stream.

Re: RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Jezz_X - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 05:43)dknlght Wrote: will this work for streaming video links as well? I use xbmc mainly for the streaming video add-ons since I'm ok with using the native video players for the files that I have on my file shares and such. For the devices that might not be supported like the tegra 2 I'm satified with using the xbmc video addons to parse the content and just have an android player play the video stream.
Last at I looked it doesn't even work like that on other platforms because they have no clue about the remote files system and it only works for local stuff

But I don't use it so I could be wrong

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Memphiz - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 01:08)ritalin Wrote: Do you guys have anything special you would like to share with us? Big Grin

Yes. I'm afraid we missed that one. Nobody of us has that bowling ball... Sad

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Montellese - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 05:43)dknlght Wrote: will this work for streaming video links as well? I use xbmc mainly for the streaming video add-ons since I'm ok with using the native video players for the files that I have on my file shares and such. For the devices that might not be supported like the tegra 2 I'm satified with using the xbmc video addons to parse the content and just have an android player play the video stream.

I'm 99% sure that it won't work because XBMC has it's own implementation for handling all those streaming protocols etc.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - gimli - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 10:01)Montellese Wrote:

I'm 99% sure that it won't work because XBMC has it's own implementation for handling all those streaming protocols etc.

A workaround could be, opening a local http server and stream the content from xbmc and give the external application the local http server URL.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - soonerlater - 2012-08-01

(2012-07-31, 19:14)jjd-uk Wrote:

If that's all you want to do why not use something like MovieBrowser UPnP for Tablet

(2012-07-31, 19:27)d1dd1 Wrote: or Mizuu

BRILLIANT!!!!

Thank you, JJD-UK and D1DD1. Movie Browser UPnP for Tablet and Mizuu are just want I've been searching for and will achieve my immediate goal. Now I wonder why my previous search attempts on the Play Store and just plain Googling never found either of these programs?

Although my goal is achieved, I am going to continue to monitor development of XBMC for Android and when there is a strong consensus about which Android STB device is the best / most desireable, I plan to replace my existing Popcorn Hour media streamers with XBMC. I really miss the cover-flow features of the original XBMC on original XBox which I enjoyed in 2008.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.