Kodi Community Forum
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. (/showthread.php?tid=136037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - freak1 - 2012-08-23

(2012-08-23, 18:02)HenryFord Wrote: It means, that I am building the XBMC-apk every night, if there has been a commit to the master branch (doesn't matter if it's for android or not).
Thus an up-to-date apk is available from my server.

Your other question is answered throughout this thread, in the blog-post about the android version and in some other thread as well.
The short answer is: No, this app won't work on every android device.

Thanks

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - grantonstar - 2012-08-23

Picked up a Sumvision Nano Slim+. Flashed the Pivos ICS firmware onto it and installed XBMC. Given it's alpha I wasn't expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be purchasing a Pivos branded box when they arrive in the UK to thank them for their efforts. A big thankyou to the XBMC developers and Pivos!

Other than standard alpha style bugs the only issue I have is the resolution. I've set the display in ICS settings to 1080p. However, XBMC reports the resolution as 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080 and its not editable. My TV reports 16:9 1080p. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to get full 1920x1080?

The Sumvision remote isn't great for XBMC as the arrow keys are pushed to one corner. The Pivos one included in the DS looks more suitable but the keyboard on the Sumvision remote is very useful. Any recommendations for a replacement? Finally, I'm thinking of scanning in my large media library. I've got a 16GB SDHC card installed, how can I force the library data to be stored on the external SD? Hasanyone tried scanning a large library to date?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Kweker - 2012-08-23

If your tv reports 1080p, it's probably 1080p... and maybe a wrong report of resolution in xbmc.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - sounddave - 2012-08-24

(2012-08-23, 19:58)grantonstar Wrote: Picked up a Sumvision Nano Slim+. Flashed the Pivos ICS firmware onto it and installed XBMC. Given it's alpha I wasn't expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be purchasing a Pivos branded box when they arrive in the UK to thank them for their efforts. A big thankyou to the XBMC developers and Pivos!

Other than standard alpha style bugs the only issue I have is the resolution. I've set the display in ICS settings to 1080p. However, XBMC reports the resolution as 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080 and its not editable. My TV reports 16:9 1080p. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to get full 1920x1080?

The Sumvision remote isn't great for XBMC as the arrow keys are pushed to one corner. The Pivos one included in the DS looks more suitable but the keyboard on the Sumvision remote is very useful. Any recommendations for a replacement? Finally, I'm thinking of scanning in my large media library. I've got a 16GB SDHC card installed, how can I force the library data to be stored on the external SD? Hasanyone tried scanning a large library to date?

Hi
Im using the same nano slim + with the Pivos software in also

Which version of XBMC did you use? Ive done the same, but with Navi-x streaming I still have the juttery slow down on films, tried with a 720p version of the avengers last night and it juttered an awful lot, this was with using Default player as the player becuase I think I read here that this uses hardware acceleration.

or can anyone else advise?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - grantonstar - 2012-08-24

(2012-08-24, 12:50)sounddave Wrote: Hi
Im using the same nano slim + with the Pivos software in also

Which version of XBMC did you use? Ive done the same, but with Navi-x streaming I still have the juttery slow down on films, tried with a 720p version of the avengers last night and it juttered an awful lot, this was with using Default player as the player becuase I think I read here that this uses hardware acceleration.

or can anyone else advise?

I used the version of XBMC from Pivos (build date XBMC0730). Haven't tried any streaming yet other than the Android YouTube app (which FC's) and IPlayer (which opens but gets stuck on "loading"). I've tested 720p and 1080p 3D SBS files via wired connection to SMB shares. Have noticed infrequent glitches and a little jitter but put that down to it being alpha. I'm using the default player (haven't configured anything otherwise) and have enabled 2D acceleration in the debug options (which doesn't seem to do anything of note for XBMC).

Someone mentioned on one of these threads earlier to enable HW acceleration and to install SetCPU. I've not seen anywhere to explicitly enable HW acceleration yet and haven't tried SetCPU myself.

I've set the display in ICS settings to 1080p. Changing between 720p and 1080p doesn't seem to change the resolution and Elixer reports it as 1280x674. Tried also playing with display positioning with no effect. XBMC says it's 1280x720 and if I try to change the resolution or from window to full screen mode the screen goes blank. Have disabled all image processing on my TV so it should work. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to get full 1920x1080?

On the remote, setting in XBMC that the remote sends keyboard presses helps a little but its still awkward if not downright unusable especially in the dark. Something like the Mele F10 remote which doubles as a media remote and keyboard would be great.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-08-24

(2012-08-23, 18:02)HenryFord Wrote: It means, that I am building the XBMC-apk every night, if there has been a commit to the master branch (doesn't matter if it's for android or not).
Thus an up-to-date apk is available from my server.

Your other question is answered throughout this thread, in the blog-post about the android version and in some other thread as well.
The short answer is: No, this app won't work on every android device.

The longer version is that it works on most of the common android devices and there is a thread on XDA tracking device support as well as add-on support based on community feedback.

There are also nightly builds posted to XDA for download.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - gordosam - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-21, 16:28)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-08-21, 14:43)boss996 Wrote: How can I use XBMC to select External player on android?

you can't. that code hasn't been added yet. XBMC is not ready for you.

I know we must be doing ur head in, and pivos is the way to go, but for us who purchased a deviced without hardware acceleration is so frustating playing HD videos with other players ,specially after seeing there's a patch for diceplayer as external player (but doesnt support allwinner neither). Could someone tell us n00bs why diceplayer can b used and not factory ayer or anyothers as mxplayer, bsplayer etc....

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Begall - 2012-08-25

You probably shouldn't have purchased a device expressly for brand new alpha software in the expectation that it would work perfectly for you.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-08-26

Different SoC manufacturers often have different VPUs. Even normal Android video players often have to tweak things for different hardware.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - tboheeren - 2012-08-29

Question: why are you all in search of an android tv box to run xbmc? You could easily buy a Zotac box and install openelec or xbmcbuntu (or even win7 with xbmc). I'm sure the price difference is not your only motivation? Please elaborate

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - artrafael - 2012-08-29

Smaller, quieter, lower power, cheaper... and because it's just plain cool?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-08-29

(2012-08-29, 11:25)tboheeren Wrote: Question: why are you all in search of an android tv box to run xbmc? You could easily buy a Zotac box and install openelec or xbmcbuntu (or even win7 with xbmc). I'm sure the price difference is not your only motivation? Please elaborate

For me, it's just seems so cool to be able to plug in this tiny box or stick that takes almost no power and have it run a full blown XBMC installation. My normal box is an ATV1 + BCHD, which uses a desktop processor. I also used to have a miniITX motherboard (literally just the motherboard and no case, haha) that I used in my living room until it died for some reason. I actually have an unused ATV1 sitting around, and also an old computer that I can most likely get working as a decent HTPC. So really, I don't actually need such a device... but it's so cool that I want to show everyone.

Plus, due to the way Android works, it might be possible to use things like Netflix as an external player with a far more seamless transition that can be done on a desktop. No browser to mess with, no silverlight junk, an interface that a remote control can still work with without any special software, etc. Lots of other VOD services also become easier too, like various VOD apps from cable and satellite companies.

EDIT: Oh, and some people have lots of rooms with TVs and want an XBMC box in each. So that price savings x5 or more rooms really starts to become significant.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - tboheeren - 2012-08-29

I see, thank you for the info. I'm looking at some of the sticks and a couple are sold at 50 euros or so. That is of course I gigantic advantage. Also amazed by the size of those thingies.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - rupert - 2012-08-29

(2012-08-29, 12:11)Ned Scott Wrote: Plus, due to the way Android works, it might be possible to use things like Netflix as an external player with a far more seamless transition that can be done on a desktop.

This was my first thought once XBMC for Android was officially announced.

I'm FAR from a knowledgeable developer, but my google fu couldn't find any breadcrumbs for something like this (hopefully it was my own ignorance).

Does the Netflix player on Android actually have any means of being externally controlled? Are you simply guessing it may, or do you mean just open the Netflix player like any other Android app & use the remote to navigate that horrific interface?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-08-29

you can launch the Netflix player from inside xbmc, then you get it and all its warts. Quit and you are back in xbmc.