Kodi Community Forum
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions (/showthread.php?tid=157563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - jviyer - 2013-08-21

I tried simply playing videos in 1080p on windows 8. as well as youtube 1080p. both worked well. and the computr usage was pretty much under 40% I recall.

(2013-08-21, 07:27)milli Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 07:14)jviyer Wrote: I read the posts and acquired a q190. However, when I tried using it as an ubuntu (12.04) machine (by using usb drive), it was outright sluggish when playing
mp4 1080p files. I also tried playing you tube videos and it was not good either (wired internet with fios quantum 50 Mbps, even though speedtest on this m/c config recorded 13-14Mbps). The CPU usage was sometimes 100% and needless to stay it was not smooth at all.
My ultimate goal is to use it for xbmc on ubuntu and to see live tv with tuner, but because of the above I have not proceeded further.
I am wondering if there is some software fix or I have a bad machine. I already found that wireless with ubuntu on this machine is going to be a problem (on ubuntu site).
any suggestion/advice ? <by the way the thumb drive is a patriot superspeed and it works without such issues on another m/c (i7 core)>

Thanks
How was the performance on windows 8?

performance was ok on windows 8 when I played youtube 1080p and mp4 files as well. usage stayed roughly at 40% or under most of the time with no issues.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-21, 17:53)jviyer Wrote: I tried simply playing videos in 1080p on windows 8. as well as youtube 1080p. both worked well. and the computr usage was pretty much under 40% I recall.

(2013-08-21, 07:27)milli Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 07:14)jviyer Wrote: I read the posts and acquired a q190. However, when I tried using it as an ubuntu (12.04) machine (by using usb drive), it was outright sluggish when playing
mp4 1080p files. I also tried playing you tube videos and it was not good either (wired internet with fios quantum 50 Mbps, even though speedtest on this m/c config recorded 13-14Mbps). The CPU usage was sometimes 100% and needless to stay it was not smooth at all.
My ultimate goal is to use it for xbmc on ubuntu and to see live tv with tuner, but because of the above I have not proceeded further.
I am wondering if there is some software fix or I have a bad machine. I already found that wireless with ubuntu on this machine is going to be a problem (on ubuntu site).
any suggestion/advice ? <by the way the thumb drive is a patriot superspeed and it works without such issues on another m/c (i7 core)>

Thanks
How was the performance on windows 8?

performance was ok on windows 8 when I played youtube 1080p and mp4 files as well. usage stayed roughly at 40% or under most of the time with no issues.

Have you checked if it was using hardware decoding in Ubuntu?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-08-28

After considering different options, ordered one and getting it delivered 'morrow. Will see how it works out and post my feedback here.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - jviyer - 2013-08-28

(2013-08-21, 17:58)milli Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 17:53)jviyer Wrote: I tried simply playing videos in 1080p on windows 8. as well as youtube 1080p. both worked well. and the computr usage was pretty much under 40% I recall.

(2013-08-21, 07:27)milli Wrote: How was the performance on windows 8?

Have you checked if it was using hardware decoding in Ubuntu?

Thanks. I researched this and went to Ubuntu 13.04. After this, I can see that VLC started to work with less CPU and also I played some video with XBMC (mp4 1080p). So I am thnking that the problem is now fixed.
Thank you !

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-08-30

(2013-08-28, 19:07)milli Wrote: After considering different options, ordered one and getting it delivered 'morrow. Will see how it works out and post my feedback here.

Got to play with it for some time yesterday. Here are my first impressions with the latest gotham nightly installed on Windows 8:

* Moving from ATV2, everything seems faster with menu navigation(confluence)
* Took a while to get audio through HDMI
* played all my videos(with the exception mentioned below) including the ones that I was never be able to play on ATV2. No drops/skips noticed with any videos. (over SMB shares from NAS on 100 Mbps ethernet)
* DTS-HD MA pass thru' worked fine
* Deinterlacing worked on SD videos which never worked on ATV2

Now on the issues:

* Fan is noisy('cause it is in constantly on running at the same speed I guess) like others have mentioned but not quite noticeable when playing video/audio. But it is not really an issue as there are workarounds.
* While playing one of the blu-ray videos, every few seconds there would be a white flash/block artifacts(fraction of a sec) mostly covering half of the video. If I disable hardware acceleration, the whole video stutters. However windows media player is able to play the same video fine. However with another blu-ray video it happens rarely and the only difference between them is the frame rate. The one which has issues is showing 24 fps in codecinfo. I'm going to try different things but if anyone knows what could be causing it, please let me know.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-09-03

(2013-08-30, 21:11)milli Wrote: * While playing one of the blu-ray videos, every few seconds there would be a white flash/block artifacts(fraction of a sec) mostly covering half of the video. If I disable hardware acceleration, the whole video stutters. However windows media player is able to play the same video fine. However with another blu-ray video it happens rarely and the only difference between them is the frame rate. The one which has issues is showing 24 fps in codecinfo. I'm going to try different things but if anyone knows what could be causing it, please let me know.

Tried different settings with no luck. The workaround to enable software decoding(disable dxva2) causes stuttering with all HD videos(blu-ray quality, 1080P camcorder). I see the CPU utilization is around 60-70% but still can't play those videos smoothly. I read different posts where they claimed it worked fine with software decoding. Can this not handle software decoding of HD videos? BTW I use Frodo and I have the latest graphics driver. Any thoughts?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - gavin20 - 2013-09-05

Anyone had luck trying to purchase the 2nd gen Q190 1TB? Everywhere I've looked, it's out of stock.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - gavin20 - 2013-09-06

(2013-09-05, 17:54)gavin20 Wrote: Anyone had luck trying to purchase the 2nd gen Q190 1TB? Everywhere I've looked, it's out of stock.

Answered my own question - reply from the company

Quote:Thank you for contacting Lenovo sales. Currently there are no plans to restock the Q190 with the 1TB hard drive.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - jammyb - 2013-09-06

Can't find Q190s anywhere. Must be a new one coming.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Psytrix - 2013-09-07

Anyone in Australia got one of these? They don't seem to sell them here? Have scoured the net to find one and as previously stated, they are either discontinued or out of stock everywhere leaving only the greedy eBay sellers who seem to be selling them way over the rrp.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - ringgh0st - 2013-09-13

im really happy with my q190 on win8. everything plays absolutly smooth incl. 1080p with trueHD. one questeion: anyone tried the q190 with openelec? is there a version with trueHD audio supported?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 15:28)ringgh0st Wrote: im really happy with my q190 on win8. everything plays absolutly smooth incl. 1080p with trueHD. one questeion: anyone tried the q190 with openelec? is there a version with trueHD audio supported?

I tried the latest testing version 3.1.7 and trueHD worked fine. However with DVD images, it was dropping frames.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - erichter - 2013-09-16

After reading all these posts, I didn't see this addressed completely.

I currently have a couple of Lenovo HTPC, including the Q180 and the Q700 (older). The Q180 has been absolutely flawless with the Catalyst 12.9 (?) drivers. The Q700 seems to be showing its age. I have noticed that when playing 1080p files that are encoded at more than about 10Mbits/sec, the video will sometimes get choppy. When watching the CPU utilization, it seems to cause the CPU to get about 50%. This happens with video acceleration on and off. I never see the issue with the Q180, its CPU utilization is always below 20%.

Since the Q190 uses an Intel GPU, has anyone had issues playing high bitrate files on it?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2013-09-16

(2013-09-16, 14:34)erichter Wrote: After reading all these posts, I didn't see this addressed completely.

I currently have a couple of Lenovo HTPC, including the Q180 and the Q700 (older). The Q180 has been absolutely flawless with the Catalyst 12.9 (?) drivers. The Q700 seems to be showing its age. I have noticed that when playing 1080p files that are encoded at more than about 10Mbits/sec, the video will sometimes get choppy. When watching the CPU utilization, it seems to cause the CPU to get about 50%. This happens with video acceleration on and off. I never see the issue with the Q180, its CPU utilization is always below 20%.

Since the Q190 uses an Intel GPU, has anyone had issues playing high bitrate files on it?

With dxva2 enabled, you would hardly notice any cpu utilization(~10%). See my posts above on issues with high bitrate videos(25-30 Mbps). If dxva2 is disabled, these videos stutter and vcpu would be 100%(there is a thread on windows forum). #1 issue(artifacts with dxva2 enabled) seems to be intel graphics issue and #2 seems to be XBMC issue.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - danszczerba - 2013-09-22

hi community, i got a question-looking to get my first htpc, and it looks like a levono q190. my question is, will a bluetooth dongle allow it to connect to something like the measy rc11-12 or any other bluetooth keyboard/air mouse? i'm a bit of a noob, so excuse me if this comes over as nonsense. if not a dongle per say, is there any other way to get bluetooth on this mini-pc? of all the nettops out there, i find this one the best/most stylish...if it only had bluetooth ;-)
by the way, i will be getting the q190 with the i3, 4gb, no optical drive(if that makes a difference to any replies). thanks.
also, while i have your attention-anybody have any experience with replacing the hdd with an ssd? any tips would be greatly appreciated. ist it possible to clone the original hdd onto an ssd and simply swap them out? once again-thanks for any help you can give me :-)