Kodi Community Forum
Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread (/showthread.php?tid=374561)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - calev - 2023-11-29

(2023-11-29, 20:59)Jackanory Wrote:
(2023-11-29, 11:01)chewitt Wrote:
(2023-11-23, 19:50)Jackanory Wrote: Would the 4GB version be suitable for running Kodi, or should I wait the extra month for the 8GB kit I have my eyes on?

4GB is more than enough for a normal Kodi installed (even more-so with a distro like LibreELEC). I'd only hold out for the 8GB if you're likely to run a pile of other apps/services in the background.
Thanks for that ... 4gb it is! Chose the aluminium case for silence!

I would be a little wary of that aluminum case right now. I have not seen anyone review it. The rpi5 needs much more cooling than the pi4. Usually people are saying it needs a fan to perform better than a pi4. I'm waiting until someone releases benchmarks before getting the flirc case. Although I do love the flirc case for rpi3 and rpi4. There is a rpi4 aluminum case by argon one that is able to use a fan btw. But I have not seen anyone review it yet.

RE: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - Jackanory - 2023-11-29

(2023-11-29, 21:34)calev Wrote: I would be a little wary of that aluminum case right now. I have not seen anyone review it. The rpi5 needs much more cooling than the pi4. Usually people are saying it needs a fan to perform better than a pi4. I'm waiting until someone releases benchmarks before getting the flirc case. Although I do love the flirc case for rpi3 and rpi4. There is a rpi4 aluminum case by argon one that is able to use a fan btw. But I have not seen anyone review it yet.

Yes, but xmas is coming and they changed the shipping estimates from late Jan to now ... and I'm feeling brave! Smile

RE: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - boldorider4 - 2023-11-30

Can anybody help me here?
I tried sudo apt install kodi, but if I plug an HDMI monitor in and start
Code:
$ kodi-standalone
, absolutely nothing happens (screen stays black).
Is it due to kodi v21 not having been released?

OK I was able to finally run kodi-standalone, which I apt-installed (v20.2), and have the output routed to HDMI on a completely bear RaspberryPi OS Lite (Debian bookworm) on my Raspberry Pi 5.
I was also able to also build v21.0b1. I still have to get it to run without a desktop environment (running RaspberryPi OS Lite), maybe I need to rebuild it with some specific options (advice would be appreciated).

@chewitt could you help me figure out why when I play H.265@4k content (the video stream is encoded at 23.96 fps, Kodi is configured to output 60Hz) I get stuttering video playback? My feeling is that v20.2 is still not going to use the H.265 HW acceleration of the BCM2712 chip. Could that be the reason? Would I solve this issue by successfully running v21.0b1?

RE: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - chewitt - 2023-11-30

(2023-11-29, 21:34)calev Wrote: The rpi5 needs much more cooling than the pi4. Usually people are saying it needs a fan to perform better than a pi4.

For context: I've been running an RPi5 with no fan and no case since the day it arrived (at that pre-release point in time no cases existed!) and I'm yet to knowingly experience thermal throttling. The board is in an AV unit alongside a centre channel speaker, so it's a closed space (with speaker cloth on the front) with the ambient room temp at 24ºC; and so far it seems to average around 55ºC most of the time. For sure if you want to run something that's going to thrash the CPU a case with fans might be better, but for Kodi-only use an aluminium passive-cooling case should be perfectly fine. For bonus credit i'm using an allegedly under-spec PSU too (5V/3A that came with a Khadas VIM4 board).

(2023-11-30, 13:13)boldorider4 Wrote: @chewitt could you help me figure out why when I play H.265@4k content (the video stream is encoded at 23.96 fps, Kodi is configured to output 60Hz) I get stuttering video playback? My feeling is that v20.2 is still not going to use the H.265 HW acceleration of the BCM2712 chip. Could that be the reason? Would I solve this issue by successfully running v21.0b1?
Pressing 'o' on the keyboard should pop the OSD and show whether it's using ffmpeg with "(SW)" or "(HW)" decoding. If it's not "(HW)" that's something to ask the Debian package maintainers to look into. If it shows hardware and is still stuttering you probably need to use the mode whitelist and adjust refresh options to force switching to [email protected] instead of having Kodi upscale to 4K@60 - which is going to need more CPU than playing at the native refresh rate. I wrote this for LibreELEC but it should broadly apply to Kodi on other distros too: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/4k-hdr

I don't think anything is solved by running K21 as K20 works fine too (at least for LibreELEC).

RE: Raspberry Pi 5 Q&A Thread - calev - 2023-11-30

(2023-11-30, 13:32)chewitt Wrote:
(2023-11-29, 21:34)calev Wrote: The rpi5 needs much more cooling than the pi4. Usually people are saying it needs a fan to perform better than a pi4.

For context: I've been running an RPi5 with no fan and no case since the day it arrived (at that pre-release point in time no cases existed!) and I'm yet to knowingly experience thermal throttling. The board is in an AV unit alongside a centre channel speaker, so it's a closed space (with speaker cloth on the front) with the ambient room temp at 24ºC; and so far it seems to average around 55ºC most of the time. For sure if you want to run something that's going to thrash the CPU a case with fans might be better, but for Kodi-only use an aluminium passive-cooling case should be perfectly fine. For bonus credit i'm using an allegedly under-spec PSU too (5V/3A that came with a Khadas VIM4 board).
Thats good to hear but with kodi using the cpu to decode h.264 video I would feel more comfortable waiting for a in-depth thermal review. How hot does it get after 90 minutes of 1080P h.264 29.9fps up-scaled to 60 fps? What if you have a back ground task going on like copying a file? Or a docker container running some light background task? At what point will a fan stop thermal throttling and is it a realistic scenario?

(2023-11-30, 13:42)chewitt Wrote:
(2023-11-30, 13:13)boldorider4 Wrote: @chewitt could you help me figure out why when I play H.265@4k content (the video stream is encoded at 23.96 fps, Kodi is configured to output 60Hz) I get stuttering video playback? My feeling is that v20.2 is still not going to use the H.265 HW acceleration of the BCM2712 chip. Could that be the reason? Would I solve this issue by successfully running v21.0b1?
Pressing 'o' on the keyboard should pop the OSD and show whether it's using ffmpeg with "(SW)" or "(HW)" decoding. If it's not "(HW)" that's something to ask the Debian package maintainers to look into. If it shows hardware and is still stuttering you probably need to use the mode whitelist and adjust refresh options to force switching to [email protected] instead of having Kodi upscale to 4K@60 - which is going to need more CPU than playing at the native refresh rate. I wrote this for LibreELEC but it should broadly apply to Kodi on other distros too: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/4k-hdr

I don't think anything is solved by running K21 as K20 works fine too (at least for LibreELEC).
Hi @chewitt,

thank you for the explanation! By the way, I'm running kodi-standalone with windowing=gbm and with gles, so I can only use it on my TV fullscreen. When I play the video I cannot get that debug OSD you are referring to and I do not have any keyboards attached to press 'o' (I'm connected via ssh). Is there a way to see this information on logs? If so, which logs should I look into?

By the way I was able to build and run K21 (not that it matters at this point, since I have the same issue).
I don't know how to enable the whitelist mode, by the way. I'll I've tried is to go to the Settings->System->Display->Refresh rate and change it to 23.98.

(2023-11-30, 15:50)boldorider4 Wrote: Hi @chewitt,
thank you for the explanation! By the way, I'm running kodi-standalone with windowing=gbm and with gles, so I can only use it on my TV fullscreen. When I play the video I cannot get that debug OSD you are referring to and I do not have any keyboards attached to press 'o' (I'm connected via ssh). Is there a way to see this information on logs? If so, which logs should I look into?

By the way I was able to build and run K21 (not that it matters at this point, since I have the same issue).
I don't know how to enable the whitelist mode, by the way. Ill I've tried is to go to the Settings->System->Display->Refresh rate and change it to 23.98.
And for the record, it did not solve my issue to just switch the frame rate....

Is there any particular reason you're attempting a Debian homebrew system instead of, e.g. running LibreELEC (which definitely works fine).

(2023-11-30, 16:05)chewitt Wrote: Is there any particular reason you're attempting a Debian homebrew system instead of, e.g. running LibreELEC (which definitely works fine).

I haven't tested LibreELEC, but from what I've understood the Raspberry Pi 5 has to be supported yet? Or have you personally tested it on a Raspberry Pi 5 (not a 4!) and tried HEVC@4k/23.976?
The reason is simply that I'm so much more accustomed to Debian-based distributions....I like that their repos are very up-to-date and their packages are very curated and stable. I use the raspberry pi for a ton of other things, for instance as a samba server, web server, among other things. I don't think an OS like LibreELEC would satisfy my needs but feel free to change my mind.
I would also be open to try OMSC but to my knowledge a Raspberry Pi 5 image is not yet available.

(2023-11-30, 16:32)boldorider4 Wrote:
(2023-11-30, 16:05)chewitt Wrote: Is there any particular reason you're attempting a Debian homebrew system instead of, e.g. running LibreELEC (which definitely works fine).

I haven't tested LibreELEC, but from what I've understood the Raspberry Pi 5 has to be supported yet? Or have you personally tested it on a Raspberry Pi 5 (not a 4!) and tried HEVC@4k/23.976?
The reason is simply that I'm so much more accustomed to Debian-based distributions....I like that their repos are very up-to-date and their packages are very curated and stable. I use the raspberry pi for a ton of other things, for instance as a samba server, web server, among other things. I don't think an OS like LibreELEC would satisfy my needs but feel free to change my mind.
I would also be open to try OMSC but to my knowledge a Raspberry Pi 5 image is not yet available.

He mentioned framerate switching works on librelec.

librelec comes with samba out of the box. In regards to the other things you mentioned like web server, Have you tried running docker? librelec supports docker so you can run any server task you would normally run in debian. You can just run a debian container.

That way you can reuse all the work librelec folk have done to optimize the pi for video playback while still having server task running in a traditional operating system.(docker container). I use docker everyday at work so that's how I prefer to run all my services anyways. Easy to keep track of how I installed everything. It's right there in the dockerfile.

(2023-11-30, 16:53)calev Wrote: He mentioned framerate switching works on librelec.

librelec comes with samba out of the box. In regards to the other things you mentioned like web server, Have you tried running docker? librelec supports docker so you can run any server task you would normally run in debian. You can just run a debian container.

That way you can reuse all the work librelec folk have done to optimize the pi for video playback while still having server task running in a traditional operating system.(docker container). I use docker everyday at work so that's how I prefer to run all my services anyways. Easy to keep track of how I installed everything. It's right there in the dockerfile.

Well, I don't think frame rate switching would work better on LibreELEC than on Kodi on RaspberryPi OS, since LibreELEC basically is an just-enough-OS with Kodi on top...it should make no difference as far as behavior. Also, to be perfectly clear, I CAN switch to a lower frame rate such as [email protected], but the problem is that the h265 video is still stuttering. This clearly seems a case of h265 not being HW decoded, but instead being SW decoded.
I would wonder though if there is a way with a fullscreen kodi --standalone to have that OSD pop up during the video playback.

and regarding LibreELEC having docker and samba: that's great! But I'm really a fan of Debian package repos and the apt package manager. I would not want to give that up if I chose to use the so many HW features at my disposal on the Raspberry Pi 5. The SW that the community supporting the many I/O develops would be far more likely to end up in a Debian repo than on LibreELEC. I may even decide to use it as a desktop PC.

I am excited to use it as a desktop pc. It should be powerful enough to use a web browser from time to time to stream stuff. So if you need a desktop that is a good reason to go the debian route. But you can still use apt-get in a debian docker container from within librelec, so I don't think the debian package system is a great reason to avoid librelec. Just run all your debian packages in a debian container. in docker compose.

In regards to running kodi in debian, man the kodi package in raspbian didn't have hardware acceleration on the pi 4 for like 3 years or something crazy. But I think that had something to do with a switch of the playback architecture of kodi going through the kernel.

(2023-11-30, 16:32)boldorider4 Wrote: I haven't tested LibreELEC, but from what I've understood the Raspberry Pi 5 has to be supported yet? Or have you personally tested it on a Raspberry Pi 5 (not a 4!) and tried HEVC@4k/23.976
Here's my personal image: https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/testing/LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-11.80.0.img.gz which is basically the same as current LE12 nightly images with some minor nip/tuck changes to include some additional binaries I use. Despite being technically "nightly" and "beta" I've been using them for months now and they are super-stable. I'm on record as saying the initial board bring-up for RPi5 was the most boring LE device I'd ever worked on since it only required different kernel, mesa, and firmware sources. Total elapsed time from DHL delivering the pre-release sample to working LE image (including full distro image compile time) under 1 hour and the same device (with reguarly updated test images) is still the family daily-driver (replacing an RPi4). So yeah, very personaly tested..