Kodi Community Forum
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. (/showthread.php?tid=136037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - sectial - 2012-09-22

will it run on the Ac ryan veolo http://www.acryan.com/product/veolo
because that'll be on sale for 50 euro's next thursday...

(edit)
Hardware:

1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 with Floating Point Unit
JAVA Hardware Acceleration
3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration Engine with OpenGL ES support
512MB DDR3 Memory
4GB NAND Flash Memory for OS and Apps installation

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-09-22

(2012-09-22, 01:25)sectial Wrote: will it run on the Ac ryan veolo http://www.acryan.com/product/veolo

(edit)
Hardware:

512MB DDR3 Memory

There's no way for us to know if XBMC will run well on any hardware until someone actually tries it out. I'm not saying this to be difficult or just to avoid people being mad, because for myself personally I wouldn't buy any box until I heard someone say that XBMC worked on it, and I get to hear stuff before you guys hear it.

sumvision cyclone box - okey - 2012-09-25

New to the forum, so be gentle, lol

I will give you my thoughts on what i have seen so far, i have applied links below but not sure if i am alowed.

I brought a "Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim with AirMouse"

I then applied the "XIOS_DS-ICS-060412" firmware(link below)using the hidden switch under the box, to force the firmware.
http://pivosgroup.com/support.html

Applied the xbmc-XIOS-073012.apk file (link below) please note when first started it does take a while to boot up so be patient, lol
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847

So just to review.

I now have ICS / with xios firmware and XBMC app,and hardware acceleration on in setting's menu, and external hdd with music and videos

Now for the stability of the unit up and running (not using wi-fi but direct ethernet connection)

Running xbmc works fine, (even with the airmouse) loads up and all menus nice and quick, It finds my externall hdd and video's off the hdd play fine, i do find i have a bit of problem with lip sync.

So all in all xbmc works brill, i can download the skins(certain ones make it run slow tho) and add ons work fine

Now for the downside Sad

I downloaded the add on "you tube", searches through videos very nice, but when you go to play them, i then get picture shudder / as if it is buffering, i know the box works fine, as if i use the you tube app on the android screen all the vids work brill.

Also i did apply the xbmc linux using the force update, and that worked sort of ok, but did not find my hdd, was nice tho as it booted strait into xbmc, maybe there is another linux xbmc version out thereHuh?

Sorry the above is a bit long, but hope all the info helps, any questions i will try to answer within the setup i have.

Thanks

ps: also seen this one ebay, and this has 1gig of ram, but can't find any info on this, ie firmware or nothing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Google-Android-4-0-Smart-TV-Box-Cortex-A9-Internet-HD-Media-Player-WiFi-/280975094178?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item416b6bb1a2

RE: sumvision cyclone box - HenryFord - 2012-09-26

(2012-09-25, 10:26)okey Wrote: I downloaded the add on "you tube", searches through videos very nice, but when you go to play them, i then get picture shudder / as if it is buffering, i know the box works fine, as if i use the you tube app on the android screen all the vids work brill.
So - the addon actually works, but the playback is stuttering?

Quote:Also i did apply the xbmc linux using the force update, and that worked sort of ok, but did not find my hdd, was nice tho as it booted strait into xbmc, maybe there is another linux xbmc version out thereHuh?
Wouldn't know about that one since I didn't try the Pivos yet - but wouldn't it be more feasible to ask this question over at the Pivos-forums? Maybe they can give a little more insight...

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - okey - 2012-09-26

Yeah, plugin works, but playback stutters

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-09-26

(2012-09-26, 14:28)okey Wrote: Yeah, plugin works, but playback stutters

Known issue right now. Add-ons aren't defaulting to the hardware decoding player (AMLplayer). Devs are working on a fix.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - okey - 2012-09-27

Well, an update i have at the moment is that i did a new install last night using the xbmc linux force version, and

Wow, it runs fantastic, you tube plugin works, no stuttering, external hdd is found, and videos are playing very well, installed navi-x plug in and that works fine.

So my thoughts are to install the linux version rather than the apk version, as it is a lot more stable, and it boots direct into xbmc

Now if i can get the karaoke option in the music menu to appear i will be one happy bunny.

Wow i love this program, give me the karaoke option and yeah baby, lol

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Starstream - 2012-09-29

(2012-09-22, 01:25)sectial Wrote: will it run on the Ac ryan veolo http://www.acryan.com/product/veolo

(edit)
Hardware:

512MB DDR3 Memory

Short answer no.

1) Telechips based, no support for hardware decoding.
2) No Android 4, need for XBMC.
3) AC Ryan filed for bankruptcy, maybe some part of that group is still around.

If your looking for a cheap Android box that can run XBMC the Oval Elephant is €69 or wait till Pivos launch their Xios M3 in Europe (much better option).

Re: RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-09-29

(2012-09-29, 17:49)Starstream Wrote: 2) No Android 4, need for XBMC
Incorrect, XBMC will run on android version 2.3 (gingerbread) and higher currently. Specifically android platform 9 and higher.

I have a Samsung captivate with cyanogen mod 7 (android 2.3) running xbmc.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Bram77 - 2012-09-29

I'm really confused because of all the new options that pop up almost daily. I would love to buy an Android driven little machine that can run AOSP (that has or will have custom roms available based on the AOSP) and can run XBMC with hardware decoding. Can anyone help me in the right direction? Is there an overview of the available options somewhere?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-09-29

(2012-09-29, 20:29)Bram77 Wrote: I'm really confused because of all the new options that pop up almost daily. I would love to buy an Android driven little machine that can run AOSP (that has or will have custom roms available based on the AOSP) and can run XBMC with hardware decoding. Can anyone help me in the right direction? Is there an overview of the available options somewhere?

Safest bet would be the Pivos XIOS DS, since they're a sponsor and hired full time devs to work on XBMC for it. They have a lot of incentive to make sure their box runs XBMC for Android very well. Plus it's down to $100 from Amazon (originally $115).

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - HenryFord - 2012-09-29

Otherwise I'd say that we really should be playing the waiting game here and not rush to order anything... I think the safest bet is to wait until we hit stable.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Bram77 - 2012-09-30

Thanks Ned, that's what I needed to know.

@HenryFord; I know you're right. But I'm very impatient. Prices of these boxes are so low that I don't mind buying a new one every six months or year Smile. I can't wait to provide everyone I know, who still has a old XBOX connected to HD screens (probably about 15 people in my direct vicinity), with a affordable Android box running good old XBMC. Promoting XBMC AND Andorid for only +/- $100... it doesn't get a lot better; at least not at the moment. These people still think the XBOX is an advanced machine. They won't know what hit them once they start using an Android box in it's full extend Smile I'll be waiting for the first stable release before burdening my friends and family with it, but I want (NEED) to get on it asap myself!

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-09-30

(2012-09-30, 01:32)Bram77 Wrote: [edit]
but I want (NEED) to get on it asap myself!

If you have an android phone or tablet you can get on it today Smile. I've been using my phone / tablet as a playground so I know when hardware decode becomes available and other areas of the experience are addressed. Once my personal "must haves" are taken care of I'll be re-assessing the purchase of an android box for the tv. It is hard holding off, but the phone has had a good effect on keeping a purchase at bay for me.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Bram77 - 2012-09-30

I have XBMC running on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and my ASUS Transformer PAD TF300T Smile. My phone is to small to have any use for XBMC and for my tablet there seems to be no XBMC version that can hardware decode. I don't mind spending $100 on somthing expirimental like this. I'm a professional developer with my own little company. I'm secretly hoping to sell pre-installed affordable XBMC boxes on the side one day. I really enjoyed how astonished and happy people were when I fixed and XBOX for them for 60 euro's and gave them the first demonstration. They felt like they had bought the world; endless possibilities. This was when XBOXes were still interesting. There is a huge gap (price-wise) between the XBOX and modern HTPC solutions running XBMC. That gap is starting to get filled by the cheap Android boxes. I just wish it wouldn't be so hard to get hardware decoding working on all those machines. The hardware people behind the products should understand how popular their products would become if they just gave XBMC unrestricted licenses and libraries Smile