Kodi Community Forum
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions (/showthread.php?tid=157563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - locust - 2014-02-24

Hello folks, I screwed up my system fiddling around with Linux and I want to reinstall Windows 8. Problem is - I can't find the friggin product key anywhere!

There is no sticker to my shock on the Q190 itself that I can see that bears the product key.

What gives? Was it in the manual or on the original packaging box somewhere??

Where is the Windows 8 Key?

Thanks in advance!

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - firetix - 2014-03-01

Hello,
Anyone know where i can buy the i.3 version without windows in the UK?. I have a friend visiting the UK soon and i would like to buy this product. Can't find the i3 version on amazon.
Or is the - Intel Celeron 1017U 1.6GHz version enough for playing high bitrates video and audio or Full BD?

I find the i3 version more capable, if not available, i would have to buy the Acer revo RL80. which has almost the same specs.

Thanks.

Re: RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - LazerBlue - 2014-03-01

(2014-02-24, 21:39)locust Wrote: Hello folks, I screwed up my system fiddling around with Linux and I want to reinstall Windows 8. Problem is - I can't find the friggin product key anywhere!

There is no sticker to my shock on the Q190 itself that I can see that bears the product key.

Thanks in advance!

On OEM installed products, there usually isn't a key anymore. They are preconfigured. They usually have a hidden partition on the hard drive for restoring the product back to stock that you can access with a specific keypress combo. OEM's have been doing it that way for years now. If you no longer have that partition, you would either have to order a disk from the manufacturer or purchase a clean install of Windows.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - p750mmx - 2014-03-02

(2014-03-01, 17:38)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-02-24, 21:39)locust Wrote: Hello folks, I screwed up my system fiddling around with Linux and I want to reinstall Windows 8. Problem is - I can't find the friggin product key anywhere!

Thanks in advance!

On OEM installed products, there usually isn't a key anymore. They are preconfigured. They usually have a hidden partition on the hard drive for restoring the product back to stock that you can access with a specific keypress combo. OEM's have been doing it that way for years now. If you no longer have that partition, you would either have to order a disk from the manufacturer or purchase a clean install of Windows.
Not quite correct. Win 8 key can also be stored in BIOS and during installation (recovering), that key is automated extracted and used for activation. Dell and HP as example, do it that way when using a system recovering disc. Direct after a first install of Win 8, it is wise to read out the W8 key with a tool (they exist), so that it can always be used when one wants to do a clean install by using a standard OEM disc, so that a (original) recovering disc isn't always necessary.

Re: RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - angusc - 2014-03-02

(2014-03-01, 13:37)firetix Wrote: Hello,
Anyone know where i can buy the i.3 version without windows in the UK?. I have a friend visiting the UK soon and i would like to buy this product. Can't find the i3 version on amazon.
Or is the - Intel Celeron 1017U 1.6GHz version enough for playing high bitrates video and audio or Full BD?

I find the i3 version more capable, if not available, i would have to buy the Acer revo RL80. which has almost the same specs.

Thanks.

I purchased the WIN 8 version directly from the Lenovo website. It comes with the remote control and works very well with XBMC I have had zero setup issues or stuttering.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - PaKman171175 - 2014-03-03

(2014-03-02, 03:01)angusc Wrote: I purchased the WIN 8 version directly from the Lenovo website. It comes with the remote control and works very well with XBMC I have had zero setup issues or stuttering.

Has anyone else tried OpenELEC on the Q190?

I had random minor stuttering using OpenELEC which occurred for 1 or 2 seconds every 10-15 mins of playback, tried all video/audio/deinterlacing setting combinations without success. Topic on OpenELEC site is here: http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel/69588-lenovo-q190-i3-hd3000-and-odd-frame-drop-stutter

The only solution for me (and another poster called Rolex) was to go back to XBMC on Windows.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - PaKman171175 - 2014-03-05

Anyone?

I read through the entire thread and saw many people mention they'd tried or were going to try OpenElec.

What were the results in the end?
Which versions did you try?
Did you experience the occasional stutter mentioned above?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - milli - 2014-03-08

My brief experience with openelec was posted here. Is there a reason why you would not want to use windows?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - g4ptek - 2014-03-09

how about Gigabyte Mini PC Barebone GB-BXI3-4010 Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz/ Intel HM87/ A&V&GbE its only $298.99 at amazon with specs
Memory: 2 x SO-DIMM DDR3L slots (DDR3 1.35V)1333 / 1600 MHzMax. 16GB
IntelĀ® Core? i3-4010U 1.7GHz
1 x mSATA slot1 x Half-size mini-PCIe slot occupied by the WiFi+BT card
Input: AC 100-240VOutput: DC 19V3.42A

MSI Computer Corp. Intel H61/A&V&GbE PC Barebone System HETIS H61 ULTRA $223.98
Specs
Supports Intel Pentium/ Core i3/i5/i7 Processors, Chipset: Intel H61
Memory: 2x DDR3-1333 DIMM Slots, Max Capacity of 8GB
SATA: 1x eSATA Port, Slots: 1x PCI-Express Port, 1x PCI Slot
LAN: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Storage: 1x 3.5" SATA2 HDD, 1x 5.25'' Standard Super-Multi DVD
OS: Supports Windows 7 Home Premium / Professional 64-bit, Power Supply: 270W 80 Plus Power Supply
Ports: 4x USB 2.0 Ports, 2x USB 3.0 Ports (front), 1x PS/2 Keyboard Port, 1x PS/2 Mouse Port, 1x eSATA Port, 1x DVI Port, 2x Serial Ports, 1x VGA Port, 1x HDMI Port, 1x RJ45 LAN Port, Audio I/O Jacks

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - PaKman171175 - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-08, 11:08)milli Wrote: My brief experience with openelec was posted here. Is there a reason why you would not want to use windows?

I'm using Windows because of the stuttering issues with OpenElec (even on SD ripped films).
Everything plays fine in Windows, but occasionally it loses connection with my NFS shares and won't play. I enabled debugging when this last occurred but have not go around to going into the Windows Desktop to grab the log. This is where SSH and OpenELEC was easier.

Another minor issue is sometimes is reverts back to window mode as opposed to full screen and is minimized. When running via XBMCLauncher shell, all your see if XMBC bar on a black screen and you need to grab a keyboard and press the backslash to toggle back to full screen again. This has happened twice in a couple of weeks so is not regular but a nuisance. If this happened while the missus or the kids were using it they wouldn't be too happy about it.

Neither OpenELEC or Windows is flawless but I read many people on this thread tried or were going to try OpenElec so was interested to hear about their results and if they had stuttering issues too.
I don't mind Windows but don't necessarily need it for anything like browsing or Netflix which is why OpenELEC appealed to me.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - locust - 2014-03-11

'PaKman171175 Wrote:The only solution for me (and another poster called Rolex) was to go back to XBMC on Windows.

Hey pakman! It's me, rolex ! just chiming in, I'm still on Windows 7 and have not gone back to OpenElec, everything seems to be working perfectly for me pretty much, and I don't believe I have experienced either of the two symptoms you mentioned above.. Mine stays in fullscreen mode or however I have left it when originally exiting the program, and my SMB shares from the NAS have not disconnected at any point unless I've experienced something like a power failure..

All in all, the entire family is pleased with the performance in Win7 and I'll probably leave it this way; why wipe it all out now just to "try something else" that may or may not work...

Where are you at now with this thing?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2014-03-12

Same here. SMB shares never disconnect. Always stays full-screen. Running Windows 8.1 for my sins. Was rock solid with Frodo 12.3 (apart from the Ace Skin for some reason...always seemed flaky when running that which is a shame). I've been running the Gotham Beta 1 for a week with Transparency and feel the playback is smoother.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Piers - 2014-03-12

I would never buy another Lenovo product after the Q180 - be warned, there are plenty of reports of a lot of the same issues on the Q190. Just check the support forum on Lenovo's website.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - angusc - 2014-03-12

My Lenovo Q190 is the best thing since sliced bread. Running WIN 8.1 and latest XBMC public release.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - locust - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-12, 13:59)Piers Wrote: I would never buy another Lenovo product after the Q180 - be warned, there are plenty of reports of a lot of the same issues on the Q190. Just check the support forum on Lenovo's website.

which issues ?? Mine is working fantastically

edit: oh did you mean the NFS issues he mentioned above? I'm not sure about those, im using SMB