Kodi Community Forum
TvOS Kodi Build - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: TvOS Kodi Build (/showthread.php?tid=312805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - horstepipe - 2020-06-05

Guess this is the same problem as we had with the kodi 17 build where hw decoding didn’t work for interlaced content. That was bypassed/worked around by disabling hw decoding for interlaced content in general afaik. (CPU handles this fine)

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-06-18

I installed the Kodi matrix on Apple TV 4K but addons can't write any folder and cant create folder or files(.strm). I have a Home folder and Inbox in the root. But I can't get into Inbox, also cant select. Inside the Home folder, I have Documents, Library, SystemData, and tmp folder. But also I can't get into and select these folders exclude tmp. Also, I can't create new folder inside the Home folder. I can only get into tmp folder and I can create a folder in tmp folder, but I don't want to use a temporary folder. Also addons cant creates anything inside tmp folder. 

Is this normal for non-jailbreak Apple TV 4K Kodi?
If I jailbreak Apple TV 4K, I will see all folders in Kodi?

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - Fuzzard - 2020-06-23

It is normal for an Apple TV. In short there is no world writeable storage area. The inbox shortcut is a leftover from ios, that isnt relevant to tvos. I thought that was removed, but must have missed it.

All data for apple tv apps goes into cache (the tmp folder essentially). tvos itself then manages this cache, and deletes it as the OS sees fit. We have no control over that.

If you intend to want to save whatever data it is, do NOT save it on the apple tv, and make backups regularly.

I cant speak for jailbreaking, as i dont run any devices jailbroken.

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-06-24

(2020-06-23, 02:00)Fuzzard Wrote: It is normal for an Apple TV. In short there is no world writeable storage area. The inbox shortcut is a leftover from ios, that isnt relevant to tvos. I thought that was removed, but must have missed it.

All data for apple tv apps goes into cache (the tmp folder essentially). tvos itself then manages this cache, and deletes it as the OS sees fit. We have no control over that.

If you intend to want to save whatever data it is, do NOT save it on the apple tv, and make backups regularly.

Other ios apps on iPhone or iPad, apps have their own writable documents folder. Like sketch apps or design apps or pdf viewer documents apps etc. This system can not work on tvos? Only tmp folder? :/

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - kambala - 2020-06-24

iOS doesn't have any size limitations on user content, tvOS does (500KB per app)

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-06-25

(2020-06-24, 20:02)kambala Wrote: iOS doesn't have any size limitations on user content, tvOS does (500KB per app)

We install addons on Kodi. This addons going to install permanently. Maybe one way exposes these folders accessible? This app not on AppStore, users install with sideload method so not need to accept apple rules. (if not software limited or impossible)

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - Fuzzard - 2020-06-25

You'll learn very quickly that addons you install are subject to the exact same data wipe. Anything that isn't shipped with the app bundle is subject to the OS removing it. This includes any/all databases like textures, and the sqlite db.

I'll restate this again, do NOT expect data to stay on an apple tv app. Backup often, and utilise things like external sql databases (mysql/mariadb, etc) if you wish to retain watch/scraped data.

The only way this can/will change is by us supporting icloud storage. The issue we have with this approach, albeit the correct way in the end, is our db's can get quite large. So unless you're paying for extended icloud storage, that 5gb isnt going to go far, considering its shared with any/all other apps/backups on the icloud account. So my advice, even when this becomes possible, is to utilise external storage for DB's/data, and backup regularly.

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-07-02

(2020-06-25, 02:13)Fuzzard Wrote: You'll learn very quickly that addons you install are subject to the exact same data wipe. Anything that isn't shipped with the app bundle is subject to the OS removing it. This includes any/all databases like textures, and the sqlite db.

I'll restate this again, do NOT expect data to stay on an apple tv app. Backup often, and utilise things like external sql databases (mysql/mariadb, etc) if you wish to retain watch/scraped data.

The only way this can/will change is by us supporting icloud storage. The issue we have with this approach, albeit the correct way in the end, is our db's can get quite large. So unless you're paying for extended icloud storage, that 5gb isnt going to go far, considering its shared with any/all other apps/backups on the icloud account. So my advice, even when this becomes possible, is to utilise external storage for DB's/data, and backup regularly.
Any future plan for support cloudkit icloud storage? If no plan for support cloud kit, kodi on apple tv is big fail for me. Because watched history, and other files, addons, databases need storage. And if support come to kodi we need to build with paid apple developer account? like top-shelf function disabled not paid accounts..

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - MBB417 - 2020-07-07

(2020-06-18, 16:29)BTopbas Wrote: I installed the Kodi matrix on Apple TV 4K but addons can't write any folder and cant create folder or files(.strm). I have a Home folder and Inbox in the root. But I can't get into Inbox, also cant select. Inside the Home folder, I have Documents, Library, SystemData, and tmp folder. But also I can't get into and select these folders exclude tmp. Also, I can't create new folder inside the Home folder. I can only get into tmp folder and I can create a folder in tmp folder, but I don't want to use a temporary folder. Also addons cant creates anything inside tmp folder. 

Jailbreaking your Apple TV will allow you to access the full file system. This includes all Kodi folders such as Documents, Library, SystemData, and tmp. You can store downloaded content from Kodi here with no size restrictions except those imposed by the overall size of the Apple TV you own. The Jailbreak will give you full access to the /var/mobile/ folders such as /Documents and /Downloads which are you're own personal storage space which can hold data for indefinite periods. Apple TV 4k can now be jailbroken very easily with sideloaded jailbreak .ipa and Apple TV 4 (HD) can be jailbroken for life regardless of tvos version. Both methods eliminate the need to resign kodi every 7 days.

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-07-13

(2020-07-07, 22:04)MBB417 Wrote:
(2020-06-18, 16:29)BTopbas Wrote: I installed the Kodi matrix on Apple TV 4K but addons can't write any folder and cant create folder or files(.strm). I have a Home folder and Inbox in the root. But I can't get into Inbox, also cant select. Inside the Home folder, I have Documents, Library, SystemData, and tmp folder. But also I can't get into and select these folders exclude tmp. Also, I can't create new folder inside the Home folder. I can only get into tmp folder and I can create a folder in tmp folder, but I don't want to use a temporary folder. Also addons cant creates anything inside tmp folder. 

Jailbreaking your Apple TV will allow you to access the full file system. This includes all Kodi folders such as Documents, Library, SystemData, and tmp. You can store downloaded content from Kodi here with no size restrictions except those imposed by the overall size of the Apple TV you own. The Jailbreak will give you full access to the /var/mobile/ folders such as /Documents and /Downloads which are you're own personal storage space which can hold data for indefinite periods. Apple TV 4k can now be jailbroken very easily with sideloaded jailbreak .ipa and Apple TV 4 (HD) can be jailbroken for life regardless of tvos version. Both methods eliminate the need to resign kodi every 7 days.

Thanks for info. I jailbreaked my apple tv 4k and i am able to open and create folders and files! Addons working with no problem. Thank you!

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - wouter1971 - 2020-07-17

(2020-06-05, 08:57)horstepipe Wrote: Guess this is the same problem as we had with the kodi 17 build where hw decoding didn’t work for interlaced content. That was bypassed/worked around by disabling hw decoding for interlaced content in general afaik. (CPU handles this fine)

I also found this issue. But can it be configured automatically or do i have to change the setting each time i switch from TV to Video content and back?

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - meccs - 2020-07-17

(2020-06-23, 02:00)Fuzzard Wrote: It is normal for an Apple TV. In short there is no world writeable storage area. The inbox shortcut is a leftover from ios, that isnt relevant to tvos. I thought that was removed, but must have missed it.

I still can see and write/read to the (Inbox) Kodi folder with Kodi 17 on the current tvOS. I do it regularly to backup or restore stuff, change keybindings or advancedsettings etc. So what changed that made it impossible with Kodi 19?

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - BTopbas - 2020-08-10

(2020-06-01, 20:31)BTopbas Wrote: I installed latest kodi matrix on my Apple TV 4K. I think i found some bug. When Allow hardware accelerator VTBDecoder ON some tv channels not opening (only audio no display)(I am using tvheadend). When this settings is OFF all channels opens with no problem but other video files likes mkv stuttering.So need to ON again.

(2020-06-05, 08:57)horstepipe Wrote: Guess this is the same problem as we had with the kodi 17 build where hw decoding didn’t work for interlaced content. That was bypassed/worked around by disabling hw decoding for interlaced content in general afaik. (CPU handles this fine)

(2020-07-17, 01:34)wouter1971 Wrote: I also found this issue. But can it be configured automatically or do i have to change the setting each time i switch from TV to Video content and back?

@Fuzzard Development still alive?  Because 3 people reported the same issue but I don't see any commits related to this on Github. Development for TvOs still early alpha? When will take issues and fix them?

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - Fuzzard - 2020-08-11

Sure its still alive.

Provide a debug log, provide a sample that can reproduce the issue.

Issues will get fixed when people interested get around to them.

RE: TvOS Kodi Build - wouter1971 - 2020-08-15

(2020-08-11, 05:06)Fuzzard Wrote: Sure its still alive.

Provide a debug log, provide a sample that can reproduce the issue.

Issues will get fixed when people interested get around to them.

Hi,

Can you take this sample and test it?

Resolution 1920 x 1080i

https://www.hdpvrcapture.com/hdpvrcapture/samples/20090227_233739-H.264.m2ts

I get the results as reported.
With VTB hardware decoding you only hear audio.
With software decoding it’s playing normally.