Kodi Community Forum
Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows (/showthread.php?tid=41129)

- Nazgulled - 2009-02-10

Just wondering something... You are using Image Magick for tagging right? Are you using it for something else? If not, why are you using the library at all? Why not ditch that dependency and code the tagging yourself? It shouldn't be that hard to load two images, place one on top of the other at a specific location and save the new image... Just a thought Smile

- rausch101 - 2009-02-10

Nazgulled Wrote:Just wondering something... You are using Image Magick for tagging right? Are you using it for something else? If not, why are you using the library at all? Why not ditch that dependency and code the tagging yourself? It shouldn't be that hard to load two images, place one on top of the other at a specific location and save the new image... Just a thought Smile

One reason I can think to keep the dependency is that it automates the tagging for you. So if you upgrade some of your collection from DIVX to DVD or BluRay, you won't have to manually go in and change each picture.

But more importantly, why do it manually if someone else already made a program (open-source at that) that does it automatically?

- Nazgulled - 2009-02-10

rausch101 Wrote:One reason I can think to keep the dependency is that it automates the tagging for you. So if you upgrade some of your collection from DIVX to DVD or BluRay, you won't have to manually go in and change each picture.
I honestly don't see what that was to do with anything...

rausch101 Wrote:But more importantly, why do it manually if someone else already made a program (open-source at that) that does it automatically?
It doesn't do anything automatically, ImageMagick is a graphics library to "create, edit and compose bitmap images". You still need to call the appropriate methods on the library to perform what you want.

The question is, why create a huge dependency (11MB?) for a library that has lots of image functions when you simply use only one and you can easily code that yourself with a couple of lines? That's my point... If ImageMagick is being used to perform lots of image related operations, maybe it justifies to use it, but if it's only for tagging or a few more simple things, I don't think it does.

And I think this goes beyond image tagging, Movie Info Plus download has 44Mb!? How can this be? I think it's way too much for an application like this, no matter how big and complex the code may be to perform all it's features, 44Mb is way too much. Maybe it's justified, maybe it doesn't... Don't take this the wrong way, it's not a critic to anything or anyone, just making a point.

- kizer - 2009-02-10

Nazgulled

I'm lazy and I don't want to do any work. Click, click its done. I'm not a graphic artist and I don't want to spend a second learning how to use PhotoShop or some other complex program because well I don't. Using ImageMagic or something else you still have to install something to do the work right? Unless your going to tell me you use PaintBrush or something in Linux like Gimp.

- Nazgulled - 2009-02-10

What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, what?

Did I ever suggested to remove ImageMagick and make everyone use, whatever graphics application they prefer, to manually tag their posters? I guess not. What I'm suggesting is something that it won't change a thing how you, the user, operate with Movie Info Plus, I honestly can't understand what you guys are talking about.

I'm sure fekker understands what I was talking about, let's just leave it there...

- webmosher - 2009-02-10

I am not sure what language Movie Info Plus is written in, but hand rolling image manipulation functions is not very simple. Most languages which make it "easy" for the developer are wrapping some other library that is well established. It would be a better idea if the ImageMagick was just included since you only need the DLL. Perhaps their licensing doesn't allow this.

Regarding the size of the download. The program comes with pre-cached IMDB info, so that contributes to the size significantly. It reduces the downloading required by the program though, so as your collection size increases, it does have a benefit.

- kizer - 2009-02-10

Nazgulled Wrote:What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, what?

Did I ever suggested to remove ImageMagick and make everyone use, whatever graphics application they prefer, to manually tag their posters? I guess not. What I'm suggesting is something that it won't change a thing how you, the user, operate with Movie Info Plus, I honestly can't understand what you guys are talking about.

I'm sure fekker understands what I was talking about, let's just leave it there...

Sorry man. I read what you typed up above in response to somebody else and mis-read it as you where saying that Image Magic was not needed and was bloat.

My apologies. I'm just glad that MIP exists because its saving me tons of work doing my Library and sure the download seems to be getting bigger and bigger, but it is what it is I suppose. Wink

I suppose the download could be modularized meaning the app could be stand alone and things downloaded as things change or features are wanted to be used by the user like the tagger. Maybe not have it installed, but could be installed and downloaded to reduce the size of the initial download or something like that.

Did you ever start working on a new look for MIP? I knew you said you would if you had some time. I'm still curious to see what you think unless of course thats a behind the scene thing with fekker.

- fekker - 2009-02-10

Mip is written in vb.net

Image Magick is used for tagging right now, but gives the options to expand what I can do later. I don't have the time or skill to write my own app that will do the overlay of png or jpg with custom compression options and multiple format support.

As for download size, 1 tv show worth of data takes more hdd space then image magick. My cached data is more then 10 gigs from testing alone.

- kizer - 2009-02-10

Oh yeah my Bewitched not scanning was a problem or least it appeared to be a problem on thetvdb.com side. Just wanted to let everybody know that the app found everything when they got their little issue resolved and worked perfect after the fact.

- kizer - 2009-02-10

I just noticed there is no way to tag Tv series. Could that be added? My Heroes episodes are AC3 which sound great on my amp, but my TV rips of Battlestar Galactica are only 2ch and it would be kinda cool to know just like the Movies which are 5.1 and which are 2Ch. No rush or if its just to much work I'm sure I could use the stand alone tagger just the same. Wink

Then again You'd end up tagging the series image and what happens if you have a mix bag of different audio formats. Hmmmmmmm, could get confusing and annoying I suppose.

- fekker - 2009-02-10

kizer Wrote:I just noticed there is no way to tag Tv series. Could that be added? My Heroes episodes are AC3 which sound great on my amp, but my TV rips of Battlestar Galactica are only 2ch and it would be kinda cool to know just like the Movies which are 5.1 and which are 2Ch. No rush or if its just to much work I'm sure I could use the stand alone tagger just the same. Wink

Then again You'd end up tagging the series image and what happens if you have a mix bag of different audio formats. Hmmmmmmm, could get confusing and annoying I suppose.

You'll be able to tag the episode thumbnail image in the future.

- Nazgulled - 2009-02-10

webmosher Wrote:I am not sure what language Movie Info Plus is written in, but hand rolling image manipulation functions is not very simple. Most languages which make it "easy" for the developer are wrapping some other library that is well established. It would be a better idea if the ImageMagick was just included since you only need the DLL. Perhaps their licensing doesn't allow this.
You have a point there but what I suggested was for a reason and that reason is .NET. Fekker just said that MIP is coded in .NET and I already knew that. I'm very familiar with .NET, be it VB.NET or C#, I code in both (more in C# lately, but it's all the same) and I've been coding in .NET for some years now. My suggestion came from that, .NET already has a bunch of features that simplifies lot of things. For such a simple thing as placing a bitmap on top of another, that's very easy to do in .NET with only a few lines of code. Of course, if more advanced image manipulation is needed, I'm all in favor of a specific library, like ImageMagick, to do all the dirty things.

webmosher Wrote:Regarding the size of the download. The program comes with pre-cached IMDB info, so that contributes to the size significantly. It reduces the downloading required by the program though, so as your collection size increases, it does have a benefit.
I didn't knew that...

But maybe, a version without any pre-cached info would be nice. Or is there one already? I mean, which info is pre-cached? For which movies? Not everyone has the same movies in their database Tongue

But this is another thing that is not part of what I was suggesting lately Smile

@kizer
Aplogies accepted Smile

kizer Wrote:I suppose the download could be modularized meaning the app could be stand alone and things downloaded as things change or features are wanted to be used by the user like the tagger. Maybe not have it installed, but could be installed and downloaded to reduce the size of the initial download or something like that.
I don't know the sepecifics about MIP as I haven't had the time to install it, but I wouldn't go that far. My point is only that a full fledge library is being used, when it's only needed for a simple basic feature that can be done in the core of MIP, that's all I'm saying.

kizer Wrote:Did you ever start working on a new look for MIP? I knew you said you would if you had some time. I'm still curious to see what you think unless of course thats a behind the scene thing with fekker.
I started to do something because I was very anxious to get to it, but it's very basic right now and I'm having a little problem on how am I going to organize something. If only Krypton Navigator was free too Sad Either way, I have 3 important univeristy exams coming up, one on thursday, next on saturday and another on the following thursday. After that, I'll have more time for this and my own projects, right now, I have lots of study to do.

fekker Wrote:Image Magick is used for tagging right now, but gives the options to expand what I can do later. I don't have the time or skill to write my own app that will do the overlay of png or jpg with custom compression options and multiple format support.
Didn't thought about the multiple format support and all that... But what if only the output format is the same and only one, jpg or png, but allow different input formats? Would that be a enough? If yes, maybe I can help you on the overlay thing. For now, just leave it as it is. I'll get back to you about this in the future and we think about it.

- eded9698 - 2009-02-10

fekker Wrote:The short version
Add your source - when adding it to xbmc, click on set content, for movies, choose movies, if your using folders, check use foldername for lookups, check scan recursive, and check "run automated scan", click ok, and it should scan the data into xbmc from the .nfo files.

I've been doing that and it does not work.

Ex.
FANTASTIC FOUR
FANTASTIC FOUR RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER

XBMC scan this as FANTASTIC FOUR RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER twice with the same cover art and info. In MIP and the folder it is two movie with different info and cover art.

Could it be the NFO file that is the problem?

- kizer - 2009-02-10

No, there are several images loaded in MIP

you just select what video format your using then there is a drop down for whatever audio format your using and it tags the cover with both the video format and the audio format in one swoop. No adjustment of where the images need to be or anything. It just places them.

- fekker - 2009-02-12

Music Fanart Pack:
Combined Music fanart from all over the forums and some custom ones as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kbugjrxatij

For the testers, there's a new build up, some of your pm inbox's are full

Current Status:
Coding like a madman, thinking of beer.