Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - frenchie0101 - 2013-04-09

i did try that, but nothing. im using a HP Pavilion slimline if that helps with anything.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - frenchie0101 - 2013-04-09

just to also add, its only just come to mind. When i was going through installation it was asking for rt73.bin which i bypassed as i think this is just for wireless drivers which im not going to be using but could this be the problem? If it is i googled it and i think its a file you need to pay for ? If it is a file i do need how do i actually install it from the iso?

Re: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2013-04-09

Doesn't sound like grub installs properly. Unless you know what you're doing with that, I'd suggest downloading a supergrubdisk2 iso and put that on USB or CD, then boot and use autodetect. Might help?

(2013-04-09, 21:24)n1md4 Wrote: Doesn't sound like grub installs properly. Unless you know what you're doing with that, I'd suggest downloading a supergrubdisk2 iso and put that on USB or CD, then boot and use autodetect. Might help?

ok i have tried that it boots up with the header UNetbootin. in the blue box i have default & List devices/partitions. if i select List devices/partitions the screen just blinks, if i press enter on default automatic boot countdown starts from 10 soon as it hits 0 it starts again, i can also press tab which gives me /ubnkern initrd=/ubninit (do i need to do any commands here?) really baffled now ?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-04-09

@frenchie0101

What GPU that hp machine of yours have? I have a sneaking suspicion its the video driver especially if your going to tell me its a ATI GPU HD 2xxx or somethng.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - n1md4 - 2013-04-10

(2013-04-09, 21:35)frenchie0101 Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 21:24)n1md4 Wrote: Doesn't sound like grub installs properly. Unless you know what you're doing with that, I'd suggest downloading a supergrubdisk2 iso and put that on USB or CD, then boot and use autodetect. Might help?

ok i have tried that it boots up with the header UNetbootin. in the blue box i have default & List devices/partitions. if i select List devices/partitions the screen just blinks, if i press enter on default automatic boot countdown starts from 10 soon as it hits 0 it starts again, i can also press tab which gives me /ubnkern initrd=/ubninit (do i need to do any commands here?) really baffled now ?

It doesn't sound like you have Super Grub Disk 2 booting correctly, literally there is list, the top item will be 'Detect any OS automatically' something like that.

But, this may as uNi said, be a GPU issue - something I'm not familiar with.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - frenchie0101 - 2013-04-10

Ok GPU is Nvidia Geforce 9300 GE

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - frenchie0101 - 2013-04-10

ok see if anyone can get there head round this.... I thought i would give normal ubuntu a go so put the iso on a usb stick and booted, now its booted into my xbmc loginHuh so what is going on, i have to boot from the usb stick to get to the login. Now also i just tried the xbmc install it connects to github.com ok it installs but then doesnt restart etc and nothing happens.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-04-10

Ok you likely didn't install grub properly do what @n1md4 said. Your confusing the hell out of me, after your first sentence you totally lost me github.com what? Where does github is anyway related to script or xbmc install or ubuntu or where you get this from.

Please post releavnt information like debug_log (wiki) and screenshots. or even better try openelec.

uNi

(2013-04-10, 19:10)uNiversal Wrote: Ok you likely didn't install grub properly do what @n1md4 said. Your confusing the hell out of me, after your first sentence you totally lost me github.com what? Where does github is anyway related to script or xbmc install or ubuntu or where you get this from.

Please post releavnt information like debug_log (wiki) and screenshots. or even better try openelec.

uNi

github is step 2 of the process wget https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/prepare_install_2_6.sh
bash ./prepare_install_2_6.sh

anyways i have given up and installed xbmcbuntu which is working fine

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-04-10

Yes maybe its best, the instructions on what to do and how to do it, is there on first and second post, if your having problems with a specific step, then ask, if not, dont jumble all together in one long confusing post and hope someone knows what your talking about as if by magic.

Anyway, enjoy XBMC.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - AssChin79 - 2013-04-13

I'm trying to replace my existing Windows 7 XBMC HTPC with this one. Everything installed ok and it boots to XBMC but the sound is dead as a doornail. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 and XBMC still works fine on that install but this one has no sound. The devices are all detected and XBMC is set to the right device (HDMI) and when I play a music file it looks as if its playing but no sound is coming from the TV.

Not sure what to do now.

--EDIT--

I tried the XBMCbuntu boot disc and audio works fine over HDMI on it so I went ahead and installed it instead.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - cw-kid - 2013-04-13

Hi

Has any one else using this script / Ubuntu 12.10 had issues with HDMI audio not working after resume from S3 Sleep mode?

Thanks

EDIT: I just fixed this problem by enabling Standby Pass setting on my Denon AVR.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - illiac4 - 2013-04-16

(2013-04-13, 06:25)AssChin79 Wrote: I'm trying to replace my existing Windows 7 XBMC HTPC with this one. Everything installed ok and it boots to XBMC but the sound is dead as a doornail. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 and XBMC still works fine on that install but this one has no sound. The devices are all detected and XBMC is set to the right device (HDMI) and when I play a music file it looks as if its playing but no sound is coming from the TV.

Not sure what to do now.

--EDIT--

I tried the XBMCbuntu boot disc and audio works fine over HDMI on it so I went ahead and installed it instead.

Check alsamixer and unmute the hdmi.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - AssChin79 - 2013-04-16

(2013-04-16, 14:22)illiac4 Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 06:25)AssChin79 Wrote: I'm trying to replace my existing Windows 7 XBMC HTPC with this one. Everything installed ok and it boots to XBMC but the sound is dead as a doornail. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 and XBMC still works fine on that install but this one has no sound. The devices are all detected and XBMC is set to the right device (HDMI) and when I play a music file it looks as if its playing but no sound is coming from the TV.

Not sure what to do now.

--EDIT--

Check alsamixer and unmute the hdmi.

Alsamixer didn't see the HDMI device so there was nothing to unmute. However, the XBMCbuntu alsamixer did see the HDMI and it was good to go out of the box. All I can guess is that for the script I was starting with a 64-bit minimal CD where XBMCbuntu is 32-bit. Perhaps their is no 64-bit support for NVidia HDMI sound. I don't know but I'm good to go now; XBMCbuntu works great.